DR customs are out of their mind??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I'm in the process to move to the DR. I talked to a custom broker, send him the packing list and they gave me a quote on my personal belongings (regular 3 bedroom house furniture, appliances, personal things, tools, + a 2005 toyota 4runner +yamaha atv $ 43000.00 !!!! They said if I use the mudanza, I still have to pay around $ 30 grand. And NO, this is NOT include the shipping itself.
I'm thinking to sell everything I have and just take the cash at this point.
They want me to buy my things again. :confused:
Do you think that this is the regular fee or I'm being just taken as a sucker???
I'm getting other quotes now.
Anyone has any connection some high ranked custom officer who can be bribed??? ;)

TheHun

Jan 5, 2006
Contact a few of the door to door shippers in the NY or Miami area, depending on where you're located, to get some quotes.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am moving in August, I sold all of my stuff after I received quotes.

It's much cheaper that way!!
SHALENA

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i am the same, have sold everything in preparation for moving and have slowing taken items i want to keep in suitcases.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you are planning to move to the DR there is a relatively new law that allows one to come to the DR first, apply for residency and then bring the goods from the move free of any tariffs. Send a pm to cobraboy or drtampa as I believe they are actually in this process.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I know someone who is also moving down there but she hasn't send major appliance, just a fridge some lamps, a bicycle and she used Quisqueya shipping from NYC I don't know where u are but maybe its best to sell and buy down there. Everything else went in boxes and it will take about 4 weeks to receive there.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you are planning to move to the DR there is a relatively new law that allows one to come to the DR first, apply for residency and then bring the goods from the move free of any tariffs. Send a pm to cobraboy or drtampa as I believe they are actually in this process.
Find me a person who was happy and satisfied after doing it that way.
It's a friggin nightmare.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Find me a person who was happy and satisfied after doing it that way.
It's a friggin nightmare.

Hey pay the 40k then.

Just kidding, would be nice to get some people to post with some infor about this process.

I did it the old fashioned way (my wife is Dom) and it cost us a total of just under 8 k for the move, and a total of US30 for taxes.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey pay the 40k then.
Why would I pay for it?
It ain't my stuff.
That's why most people sell their big stuff, and bring their small precious stuff in suitcases.
Didn't you do the same?
Did you try the temporary residency exemption to bring in your appliances and cars?

A

apostropheman

...or do what many seem to do and sell all/mozt of your stuff and start fresh in the DR.
Hey pay the 40k then.
I know that's what I'll be doing.

2 checked bags and carry on...a visa card and a bank card.

Other than that, and a positive attitude, what more does one really need? :p:bunny::bunny: (perhaps a pocket full of cash? :D)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey pay the 40k then.

Just kidding, would be nice to get some people to post with some infor about this process.

I did it the old fashioned way (my wife is Dom) and it cost us a total of just under 8 k for the move, and a total of US30 for taxes.

I see you edited your post after I quoted your original.
So tell us.
What did you get to bring here for 8k?
Was there as much stuff as the OP mentioned?
Was there a car in the deal?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I see you edited your post after I quoted your original.
So tell us.
What did you get to bring here for 8k?
Was there as much stuff as the OP mentioned?
Was there a car in the deal?

The move cost less than 8k for the transportation and moving from Orlando to Santiago. I could have included the car in our move in the same container for no extra charge but it was in my wife's name and I needed it anyway for work on my frequent returns.

The only taxes I was charged was on a Walmart microwave that they said was less than a year old.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The move cost less than 8k for the transportation and moving from Orlando to Santiago. I could have included the car in our move in the same container for no extra charge but it was in my wife's name and I needed it anyway for work on my frequent returns.

The only taxes I was charged was on a Walmart microwave that they said was less than a year old.
So it did not include a car and an ATV?
And you did not use the temporary exemption for bringing in your stuff tax free?
Is that correct?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
So it did not include a car and an ATV?
And you did not use the temporary exemption for bringing in your stuff tax free?
Is that correct?

The exemption was for Dominican living in the exterior who retire to the DR.

A car was included at NO ADDITIONAL charge but we didn't bring it of course. An ATV could probably have been brought too if it isn't considered a vehicle.

It is my understanding that cobraboy and drtampa are both going to use the new residency exemption process for foreigners.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The exemption was for Dominican living in the exterior who retire to the DR.

A car was included at NO ADDITIONAL charge but we didn't bring it of course. An ATV could probably have been brought too if it isn't considered a vehicle.

So you do not have experience bringing in all the stuff in with the temporary residency exemption.
So why are you being a smartalek with me and suggesting I pay his 40K.
At least my reply was helpful.
If he listened to you and did what you suggest, he would regret it.
And you telling us how you got some special deal because your wife is Dominican, doesn't help the OP, does it?
Did you want a hero biscuit?
Did you just want to tell your story?
Go ahead, but do it in another thread.
We're trying to help this fellow and you giving him bad advice is not helping.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We had our treasured possessions flown from the UK in 16 boxes (computer size) plus a few precious prints and paid IRO ?3.50 per kilo so it all arrived at POP for a total of about ?500 or less. Our 5 dogs and 2 cats cost more IRO ?4000 all inclusive but I know what we valued the most...

A

apostropheman

Chip,

I'm confused. :confused:

Was you current wife living in the US before you made your permanent move to the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.