First Time in DR - Soloing It

lilmshermie

Jun 26, 2008
Hi, this is my first post on here and I guess what I'm looking for is a little confirmation that going to the DR is going to be a good time and a little advice from those that have been (especially women alone) and also live there on how to make my trip a little safer and thus more enjoyable.

So, I have been all over this site for the past few weeks doing my research and what not. Have also been on other sites just seeing what there is for someone independent and advernturous like me to do. I'm a 27 year old woman from Chicago, who will be traveling alone to Cabarete for a week, and I am by no means a pushover or bumbling tourist type at all. However, after reading some of the stuff on here and watching the sankie pankie video I will admit: you guys have succeeded in scaring me s***less! In fact, I'm even more scared than when I used to have to collect rent on the south side of Chicago!

But seriously, aside from totally making myself look like the biggest dyke on the planet (no offense if you're a lesbian) how do I ward off the sankies without telling them to go f*** themselves (works in Chicago, don't think that line will go over well in DR)? I'm about as pale as they get so I'm sure there will be a big neon sign hanging over my screaming "gringa"!!! Any advice (and trust me, I've already contemplated fake tanning before I go)...I just want to have a good time, see the country and be left the hell alone honestly, not really looking to party.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

-H

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Hello and welcome

Welcome to DR1 lilmshermie,

In my absolute honest opinion, how I see it with the whole sankey thing is that if you go on a trip to the DR with your eyes open, common sense head on, and your wits about you - you will be fine.
It's a bit like - "if it seems too good to be true - it is!" People who believe the chat up lines are doing so because they want to, despite what their instincts should be telling them.
You seem intelligent and as you say have researched the whole sorry business before (thank heavens) and not after your vacation.
I travel alone, admittedly I have friends over there (male and female), but as long as you exercise the basic safety and security rules for any solo travelling I do not see it as a problem.
I also think that if you make it clear in a firm but friendly and polite manner that you are not the latest "consignment of fresh meat" you will be taken seriously and not pestered. It is all about acting as you would anywhere with unwanted attention - the DR is no different.
Do not worry unneccessarily and have a great trip.
;)

Rio

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
lilms,
i live in cabarete & there's nothing to be worried about. you should feel very comfortable on the beach during the day or at the restaurants/bars on the beach at night.

you're forewarned that some guys are willing to play the romance angle - you simply won't fall for it. end of story.

if you're looking to be left alone, just a firm, not nasty, 'thanks, but i am not interested' with a dismissive shake of the head should work. if he's really persistent (not too likely) just continue to let him know you're not interested.

the guys are nothing to be afraid of & for the most part pretty nice. if someone approaches you or you want to talk to someone, do so. joke, dance, enjoy yourself.

btw, if you want to mention the hotel in which you're staying or type of restaurants or music you like, i or someone else can probably give you a few places you might want to check out.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i agree with everyone. i have traveled there alone many times. No need to be rude, just firm, they know an easy mark when they meet one. For the most part the men are very friendly and respect a firm friendly no thank you.

lilmshermie

Jun 26, 2008
Great, that's exactly what I hoped to hear - I was just worried that they might not take no for an answer. I respect their hustle, I'm just not their girl. I feel much better about my trip now.

By the way CFA123, I am staying at the Casa Blanca (I have a major aversion to AI's) as I heard it was one of the best places in the area. I am also planning on doing some excursions as well. In fact, I was investigating doing Pico Duarte up at Rancho Wendy for a couple of days and I know that the cheapest way to get there is via the bus to Santiago and then to Bonao. The guy at Rancho Wendy assured me that traveling that way would be safe, but I know it's always a good idea to get a second opinion. If you know of other fun things in the area, yes - please let me know, I'd love some suggestions.

-H

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Great, that's exactly what I hoped to hear - I was just worried that they might not take no for an answer. I respect their hustle, I'm just not their girl. I feel much better about my trip now.

Well if your first two posts are anything to go by - you will have very little or no trouble at all in the DR.....

good attitude!

:cheeky: Rio

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do nto thing Rancho Wendy is the right one for going to Pico Duarte...Check it out a bit more. Try Camping Tours (www.campingtours.com) for your best advice. Baiguate also does a good job so I hear.

Good Luck.

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I do nto thing Rancho Wendy is the right one for going to Pico Duarte...Check it out a bit more. Try Camping Tours (www.campingtours.com) for your best advice. Baiguate also does a good job so I hear.

Good Luck.

HB
Have we ever heard anything good about Rancho Wendy from a legitimate poster?

As for disposing of sankies, say "No gracias" with a smile, 2nd time, "No gracias" with a straight face, 3rd time, "No gracias" in a stern voice, and there is no fourth time, after that, you ignore him like he was a tree.

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
from chicago....

hi, there. I am from chicago as well and have been to the DR twice this year. Granted, I was not alone, but I was with my mother the first time and we had no problems whatsoever. I am a minority (white) female in my neighborhood here in chicago, and honestly, it felt no different in the DR than it does here. When walking alone there, I acted the same way as I do here. Confident but not cocky, friendly but not over-friendly, firm but not bitchy. I got used to saying "no, gracias" a lot, and I only had to get rude once and that was with a 12 year old boy who wanted to shine my shoes (he asked 4 times and I was wearing Birkenstock's....lol). I walked alone on my travels a few times to the dive shop and other places, and I never felt unsafe. Of course, you will get looked at, whistled at, etc. but it never felt intrusive or threatening. Use common sense, and I think you will be OK. I hope you have a great time! It's a beautiful country with beautiful people. I can't wait to hear your trip report. Sincerely, Rebecca

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When walking alone there, I acted the same way as I do here. Confident but not cocky, friendly but not over-friendly, firm but not bitchy. I got used to saying "no, gracias" a lot, and I only had to get rude once
This is it.
The perfect style.
The "stay safe and have fun" attitude.

It cannot be said or done better than this.
You won't be hearing complaints from people who comport themselves in this fashion, as they are the folks who have all the fun and don't get into trouble.
A lot of crime is opportunistic.
Having an attitude such as Rebecca's, minimizes the opportunities and reduces the chances of becoming a crime target, not to mention resolving the problem of over aggressive vendors and sankies.