Manila, Philippines - More Immigration Officers

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I just checked the CIC website and read the following: More immigration officers will be sent to the visa office in Manila, Philippines, to speed up the processing of applications.

What??? It shows timelines for Manila at 4-6 months for completion of spousal sponsorship while it shows 8-17 months for Port-Au-Prince.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this?? What a joke.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
There is something wrong with this whole Haiti office, end of story. They need to go down and clean house and start fresh with people who want to do the job. Or they should be accountable on a daily basis as to what they have done for the day, and all should have their names signed to a sheet of paper outlining what part they have done in the process. So they can back track where the problem is or who is delaying the process. So they can explain why they are holding it up.

Johana

May 24, 2006
I would love to hear that there are more officers for Haiti as at the moment I have a vested interest there. However, if you compare all applications for PR, Manilla is much worse than Haiti. The amount of officers and speed of processing is in direct relation to where Canada (read current government) wants the immigrants to come from.

Hang in there Lexi....with Mart, Marxsis and Castro almost all complete it should free up some time for those officers to start working on the next batches :) Hopefully the good news will keep on coming!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would love to hear that there are more officers for Haiti as at the moment I have a vested interest there. However, if you compare all applications for PR, Manilla is much worse than Haiti. The amount of officers and speed of processing is in direct relation to where Canada (read current government) wants the immigrants to come from.

Hang in there Lexi....with Mart, Marxsis and Castro almost all complete it should free up some time for those officers to start working on the next batches :) Hopefully the good news will keep on coming!

I totally disagree with your statement about the current government, when it fact they are still trying to fix the backload and problems they inherited from the previous government, but then again Canada has had very little problem with its hard working Filipino immigrants.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Bob,

If it's not about where the government wants the immigrants to come from then can you explain why they changed the laws for skilled workers to be processed faster at the Minister's direction? I believe that is so they can speed up the applications from the countries where they wish the immigrants to come from.

Also, please explain why a landed immigrant from China is able to sponsor his wife (yes they were married already in China before he came to Canada) in 4 months? And that is from the time the application was received in Mississauga to the time that the visa was put in her passport. And yet Canadian Citizens are not afforded the same luxury.

If processing averages by class were the same across the board then I wouldn't have a complaint. But it is clear by looking at the statistics that certain countries must have more resources. And who decides the amount of resources if not the Immigration Minister/Government???

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hey, my wife came from the DR and It only took from September to March for her Landing VISA to come through, my brother's wife came from Cuba and it took 14 months, and a buddy of mine took 16 months through Manila. Guy I work with it only took 4 months from Mexico. What I'm saying is there is no consistency and just because you want your other half in Canada doesn't mean its going to happen as fast as you want. Haiti isn't even a functioning country so obviously there are probably more pressing issues at play at the Canadian Embassy there.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Bob I agree with what you are saying, but at the same time I feel the same as Jo-anne. I have been going through this process for alittle over 16 months now. But like you said Bob every case is different, not once did they ever ask for any other papers like proof of relationship ect... Only to redo the medical, police cert only because they expired. I have seen people on here have to get a new birth cert, marriage cert, medicals done for their kids and so on and they all got through in 7-9 months time frame. So tell me where is the justice in all of this. Life just isn't fair. I agree with Bob . Haiti really needs to get their act together and if the case load is too much then they need to do something about it.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Just curious if your wife received her visa under the current government that is "reducing" the backlog or under a previous government that was "creating" the backlog?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just curious if your wife received her visa under the current government that is "reducing" the backlog or under a previous government that was "creating" the backlog?

under a previous government but Haiti was just as bad. No communication...etc. Not saying it makes a difference, but my wife is a professional with 2 degrees, speaks 3 languages, and still owns/operates a business in the DR. Our paperwork and documentation was perfection. Perhaps, and only perhaps because of those conditions we were not questioned about our relationship. Her birth certificate was right after her birth, had all her baptismal records, school records,....etc in order. Only thing we were asked for was extra photos of her.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
under a previous government but Haiti was just as bad. No communication...etc. Not saying it makes a difference, but my wife is a professional with 2 degrees, speaks 3 languages, and still owns/operates a business in the DR. Our paperwork and documentation was perfection. Perhaps, and only perhaps because of those conditions we were not questioned about our relationship. Her birth certificate was right after her birth, had all her baptismal records, school records,....etc in order. Only thing we were asked for was extra photos of her.

When sponsoring under the family class I don't think it makes a difference . Because you have those under your belt. It does'nt make it go any faster, under the family class, maybe under the skilled trade it would, I could be wrong but from what I have read that's what it seems like anyways. We had everything in order, birth cert right from birth,never had to show school records, my husband also speaks two languages and never questioned our relationship either. My husband was a police officer so all they wanted more, was a police service sheet to be completed. You think him working for the police would have been to our advantage. But it made them take longer with our file checking him out. It all depends on what info you summit with your application. If it's very basic and straight forward then it looks like , they complete them faster.