Last Minute Plan Change... Hotel Needed in Bayahibe

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
We were planning to stay w/ some relatives in La Romana. Plans have been changed at the last minute due to other family staying. It will just be too crowded so we have decided to look for a hotel, bed and breakfast, or something similar in Bayahibe. Preferably close to the beach. Ideal price range would be $50 to $100 per night. Parking would be nice because we have a rental car.

I did a search. Hotel Bayahibe popped up and Villa Iguana. Any info on these or any other suggestions are appreciated.

By the way we are arriving this thursday July 10th. Thanks for any info.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
bayahibe

I've stayed at the Villa Iquana before. Nice rooms, good breakfast, nice owner, about a 5-8 minute walk to the beach, close to town and restaurants and boats to Saona island, don't really think they have parking but you could ask about this. I would go for a studio here as the cheaper priced rooms are REALLY small, but still nice & clean, but I'd hate to live without a balcony.....spoiled rotten i know

Do a search within the forums about hotel bayahibe, I feel like i recall someone mentioning that it was fine but a step down from the Iquana. I'd certainly recommend Villa Iquana and will visit again i'm sure.

good luck, d

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
I've stayed at Villa Iguana a few times, the most recent being one night, this past Saturday! I was there for 10 days in January though and have a pretty full album of pictures of my time at the guesthouse and in Bayahibe posted at Villa Iguana and Bayahibe, Dominican Republic January, 2008 pictures, photos, and videos, from caribbean on webshots You can skim past the first page of shots which show aerial views from my flight and arrival at the Punta Cana airport.

My favourite accommodation is the one bedroom suite shown in those pictures. "My" room is on the third floor which allows more air to move through the windows than the similar suite on the 2nd floor. Both have a small but accommodating balcony with a view over the street to the east and south and out to sea. The ceiling fan and strategic blind and window opening has had me comfortable in that room, but this weekend I had a nice smaller room with air conditioning. After the day I was having, it was appreciated but I didn't really need it. That room was quieter and darker than the apartment for a late lie in. I didn't really hear the dogs and roosters at all, and facing west there was no morning sun creeping in.

My friend took the rooftop penthouse in January and you'll see pictures of it in the album too. It is just the bedroom but has a really large bathroom, and then you have the entire floor to yourself including terrace and a small pool. A really grand situation and it falls within your budget. It can accommodate 2 plus 1 people as my friend had (with roll away bed).

The owners of Villa Iguana have some ideas for the future and have acquired the property next door. Indeed there isn't much parking, but that means that you are free to use the streetfront of the house next to VI, to the left when facing the building.

Hotel Bayahibe will offer you a fine stay and is preferred by some for its more traditional motel style, but I like the character of Villa Iguana, and the way you're given keys and come and go like it's your home and not a hotel. I really enjoy Martina at VI, who can provide a ton of info on the area and in particular snorkeling and diving in the area as a diver herself.

Kaki

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Thanks Dana and Kaki. I will be there later this evening. Flight leaves @ 9AM. Looking forward to the stay.