Seeing "ALL" of DR, easier than I thought

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
For starters, I wanna say that I am VERY happy. I had been extremely over-estimating the size of the Dominican Republic. I will be staying in Santo Domingo, so I was only looking at areas like San Cristobal, San Pedro, etc. as possible side-trips. Today, I was at Barnes and Noble and looked inside a Lonely Planet guide. Caribe tours from SD to Santiago is only 1.5 hours, and under $10 USD. I could literally go every day if I wanted and not feel any sort of dent in my budget (travel-wise). I was seriously shocked.

I'm going to look at the trip from SD to Cabarete as well. Now, I may finally get to see all of these fancy places you guys always talk about here.

P.S.- I know it had been mentioned to me previously that I could make these trips quite easily and somewhat inexpensive, but I thought you guys meant "expat inexpensive", not poor youngin from NYC inexpensive.

No question here. I just wanted to express my joy.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For starters, I wanna say that I am VERY happy. I had been extremely over-estimating the size of the Dominican Republic. I will be staying in Santo Domingo, so I was only looking at areas like San Cristobal, San Pedro, etc. as possible side-trips. Today, I was at Barnes and Noble and looked inside a Lonely Planet guide. Caribe tours from SD to Santiago is only 1.5 hours, and under $10 USD. I could literally go every day if I wanted and not feel any sort of dent in my budget (travel-wise). I was seriously shocked.

I'm going to look at the trip from SD to Cabarete as well. Now, I may finally get to see all of these fancy places you guys always talk about here.

P.S.- I know it had been mentioned to me previously that I could make these trips quite easily and somewhat inexpensive, but I thought you guys meant "expat inexpensive", not poor youngin from NYC inexpensive.

No question here. I just wanted to express my joy.
I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Timewise, you can go from top to bottom of the DR (POP to STO DGO, for example) or East to West (Sto Dgo Barahona or Sto Dgo to Punta Cana) in just a few hours

Therefore, expand your horizons. Make plans. Talk to the folks on DR1 and see who can steer you to the better places to see and do stuff.

Currently, bus fares from santo Domingo to Santiago are
Metro: 300
Caribe Tour: 230
Aetra: 175 (+/-)
Transporte Espinal 220

HB

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
Thanks for the motivation guys. I have family in La Capital, but they seem closed off, and don't even consider travelling outside of that little area (It;s not even really aa money issue, but more of an attitude issue). Anyway...DR1 has definitley been helping me out alot. I will continue referencing you guys during my trip.