Should I get into a serious relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busy_Bee

Feb 17, 2008
I just got back from DR and had a blast. I actually never planned to meet any woman for a serious relationship in DR.I had planned a trip to do all sorts of tourist activities. I met her a few days after arriving. We talked and kind of hit off. She took me all over DR and had a great time. We even went dancing at a couple of local night clubs. She introduce me to all her friends and even help me pay Dominican prices in DR, instead of tourist fees. We drove through the mountains and picked up school children and others along the way. I met the family and they cooked me food and there is not a thing I don't think she left out from me. My question is I really liked this girl and we get along great and she calls me all the time since I have been back, should I get seriously involve with her? And I know once getting seriously involve we would eventually have to be together and mostly likely she would be staying with me in the U.S.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I just got back from DR and had a blast. I actually never planned to meet any woman for a serious relationship in DR.I had planned a trip to do all sorts of tourist activities. I met her a few days after arriving. We talked and kind of hit off. She took me all over DR and had a great time. We even went dancing at a couple of local night clubs. She introduce me to all her friends and even help me pay Dominican prices in DR, instead of tourist fees. We drove through the mountains and picked up school children and others along the way. I met the family and they cooked me food and there is not a thing I don't think she left out from me. My question is I really liked this girl and we get along great and she calls me all the time since I have been back, should I get seriously involve with her? And I know once getting seriously involve we would eventually have to be together and mostly likely she would be staying with me in the U.S.

No.............

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Things were sounding good 'till the last sentence.
Everything changes when you bring her to your country.
The passionate fantasy dream world quickly turns into your most terrifying nightmare.
Don't go there.

Busy_Bee

Feb 17, 2008
Things were sounding good 'till the last sentence.
Everything changes when you bring her to your country.
The passionate fantasy dream world quickly turns into your most terrifying nightmare.
Don't go there.

Is there any reason? I am a little confuse about getting serious with her, because of things like that.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is there any reason? I am a little confuse about getting serious with her, because of things like that.
One could write a book on that topic.
Suffice to say that it is a mere observation.
One could speculate and theorize 'till the cows come home, whereas I take the practical approach.
If 99% of the cases end up that way, that's enough for me.
I don't need to have a deep insightful understanding of why.
Just knowing that the danger is there and being forewarned so that I can avoid it, is enough for me.
If you truly want a long term relationship with a Dominican woman, move here.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

Did you meet her in the bars or hanging out in the tourist area ?
If Yes.... my answer is NOOOOOOO.
But if you meet her in a different situation . My answer is... take your time before getting into a serious relationship.

JJ.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I say go for it. She sounds like a great catch. Just make sure that you have a little money put aside for when her poor mother gets sick.

DominicanBilly

Mar 9, 2005
harborviewcondos.4t.com
One could write a book on that topic.
Suffice to say that it is a mere observation.
One could speculate and theorize 'till the cows come home, whereas I take the practical approach.
If 99% of the cases end up that way, that's enough for me.
I don't need to have a deep insightful understanding of why.
Just knowing that the danger is there and being forewarned so that I can avoid it, is enough for me.
If you truly want a long term relationship with a Dominican woman, move here.

I'll second this post.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I moved my mother-in-law to Canada with us, so I'd know when she is sick. Really, do you people have such a low opinion of Dominican women? You may be entirely right about this girl or you may be entirely wrong. I have only met 3 Dominican women besides my wife here in Canada that are married to Gringos- and all 3 Gringos are still happy after 5 or more years. I actually prefer my wife in the DR as she is less stressed and dresses better., but that doesn't mean she is terrible in Canada.
Its good advice not to jump into any relationship and take your time and make sure its real, but don't slag the girl when you know nothing about her.

Last edited:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

If you have to ask....then you cannot afford it !

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Did you meet her boyfriend yet? It will be one of her primos....

If you like him then go for it!!

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Don't go there....

Unless beating yourself up, stressing and throwing money into a bottomless pit are on your list of favourite things to do - don't get involved.
Long distance relationships are very, very hard to sustain IMHO.
and......
Why is this thread under "trip reports" and not "men from mars" ?

Rio

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I moved my mother-in-law to Canada with us, so I'd know when she is sick. Really, do you people have such a low opinion of Dominican women? You may be entirely right about this girl or you may be entirely wrong. I have only met 3 Dominican women besides my wife here in Canada that are married to Gringos- and all 3 Gringos are still happy after 5 or more years. I actually prefer my wife in the DR as she is less stressed and dresses better., but that doesn't mean she is terrible in Canada.
Its good advice not to jump into any relationship and take your time and make sure its real, but don't slag the girl when you know nothing about her.
It is not a low opinion, it is an observation.
The 3 friends you know who have long term Dominican wives, proves nothing and certainly does not contradict what is being said here.
All it means is that you know 3 couples that it worked out for.
You could hardly know the couples that it didn't work out for, as they are not couples anymore.

Due to the industry in which I work, I have had access to all the info I need to draw the conclusions that I posted to the OP.
It's not just a guess, it is an observation.

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
I would say go with what makes you happy. As long as you are aware of what could go wrong and are prepared for that. Life is there to be lived and enjoyed and we all have our own definition of that. Yes there are many cases that go the wrong way but you could be the one that it works out for. Take it slowly, maybe live in the Dominican for a while before making any big decisions. You will know if it's right or not right as the relationship progresses.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Don't send WU either......

Here's "the list"

1) Mom does not need an operation
2) The baby is not sick
3) The "baby's father" did not die, he was never really there
4) "Her brother" who "helps" with the bills did not "lose his job", he never had one..and is probably NOT "her" brother...

5) You are not "the first" or "the only", you are "the next" and will not be "the last"

Hope this helps....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd say "yes" with these conditions:

-she has an education on par with yours*
-she has a job on par with yours*
-she owns property and transportation on par with yours*
-she has a passport and has traveled out of the country several times before (not necessarily to the US or Canada)

~and~

-she understands that you WILL be insisting on a prenup should things become serious

*"on par with yours" would be the Dominican equivalent

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Don't send WU either......

Here's "the list"

1) Mom does not need an operation
2) The baby is not sick
3) The "baby's father" did not die, he was never really there
4) "Her brother" who "helps" with the bills did not "lose his job", he never had one..and is probably NOT "her" brother...

5) You are not "the first" or "the only", you are "the next" and will not be "the last"

Hope this helps....

OMG thank you, I needed a good laugh today!

Status
Not open for further replies.