departure tax

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
what is currently happening at the airport for us citizens? Do we still pay ten dollars cash for a card and then hand it over to them? Do we still need to hold on to half or pay upon leaving as well?
Thanks
Stevi

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is it possible to buy that $10 dollar card at kennedy airport to avoid the lines in the DR. (I know it was possible a few years ago)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Is it possible to buy that $10 dollar card at kennedy airport to avoid the lines in the DR. (I know it was possible a few years ago)

No, unfortunately this is no longer an option. I found it great as one could avoid lining up upon arriving into the DR and just proceed straight through.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well darn it...i have always gotten the tourist card at EWR while checking in.

But in reality...the line for the card at SDQ is pretty quick..and i always wait forever for my check-ins no matter how quickly or not i make it thru the first two lines.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Don't worry about the lines. Usually you will fill your form out, pay the $10, have your card collected, clear passport check and still wait for your luggage.

Bob K

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Don't worry about the lines. Usually you will fill your form out, pay the $10, have your card collected, clear passport check and still wait for your luggage.

Bob K
Exactly.
Unless one has no luggage, what's the use in rushing through Immigration?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
well darn it...i have always gotten the tourist card at EWR while checking in.

But in reality...the line for the card at SDQ is pretty quick..and i always wait forever for my check-ins no matter how quickly or not i make it thru the first two lines.

I was only commenting on JFK as this airport I know for a fact doesnt sell them any longer. Perhaps EWR still does, check into it for verification.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
"Darn it"....CO @ EWR still sells them, nobody ever said they didn't!
They have not had them @ JBLU or AMR @ JFK for a while.

It takes all of 3 minutes to buy it in SDQ or POP!

tambo'

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Bought 10 pieces in the past, as I travel without lugguage, but since a few months they sell only 1 at the time.
When I told the guy that they should include the charge to the ticketfare he said:
Are you crazy? This are jobs.

So simple to create employment here.

GALK

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I was only commenting on JFK as this airport I know for a fact doesnt sell them any longer. Perhaps EWR still does, check into it for verification.

the only thing i was trying to say..is that it is not a hassle when you arrive..the line moves really fast and if you have check in luggage you will most certainly still have to wait.

I get a kick...even when i get back to the airport here how everyone scrambles to get in line to get thru...and you STILL have to wait about 1/2 or or so to get your luggage.