AT&T and Blackberry in Santo Domingo

dwilhelm

Apr 27, 2008
I am hoping someone can assist me with an issue with my cell phone.

I started traveling to Santo Domingo 10 months ago. I am here at least one week each month. Starting around April, I started having problems with my phone. I lose signal, do not receive emails and/or I cannot make phone calls with my Blackberry 8830.

This happens frequently throughout the day. I am almost guaranteed to lose use of my phone from 6 PM to 11 PM every day. The "outage" happens in places that I normally have service and is not tied to any one location.

AT&T has no idea what is happening. My phone switches to Claro Dom when I arrive. Local phones using Claro do not usually have the same problem. I have tested this by borrowing a phone on Claro. When I have an issue on my phone, the borrowed phone works fine

I am at a loss about next steps. Anyone successfully using this or another phone? Is there another carrier? Should I obtain a pay per minute local phone?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I'd recommend swapping out your berry. Have at&t give you a nother one to try on your next trip down. I'm a crackberry addict. I use mine ALL the time when I visit the DR and never have any issues.