Americans divorcing in the D.R. question

Jose1986

Jul 11, 2008
My wife and I were married in united states less than a year ago and are seeking a foreign divorce here in the DR. We have checked our states marriage laws and they do accept foreign divorces. She is part dominican by heritage and since become a dominican citizen. I am american with residency here.

I spoke with a reputable attorney here in the D.R. and was told the following:

In order to get a foreign divorce in the D.R. you need to be married for 2 years or the courts here will not accept or process your divorce. I have never heard such a thing. And feel this may not be true. Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
Jose,

The 2-year provision only applies for regular mutual consent divorces between Dominican nationals who reside in the DR.

Foreigners and/or Dominican citizens with legal residency abroad can obtain their Dominican Quick Divorce regardless of their marriage's duration, based on article 28 of Divorce law No. 13-06 (Bis).

For more information on Dominican Quick Divorces feel free to visit Guzman Ariza's overview on Dominican Quick Divorces at Quick Divorce in the Dominican Republic: An Overview .

Regards,

Alfredo A. Guzman