Chat room for people living in DR

V

V?ro

Hi everybody,

I'd like to know if anybody knows about a chat room where all people living in DR (both foreigners and Dominican people) can meet and chat.

If there's no such a chat room, would anybody be interested if I created one ?

Please let me know what you think and know about it...

talk to you soon,

V?ro

D

DR1

If you would...

be prepared to moderate/run, then we would be more than happy to set one up for you.

Email me directly if your interested. webmaster@dr1.com

Rob.

G

Gunnar

Re: If you would...

...and maybe include a "real-time" babelfish, now THAT would
be something. My 20 years++ of system design etc is available
for something like that. (Free for the little spare time I can
find, otherwise negotiable...)

There's currently a LOT of bandwidth being built up DR-USA,
and I'm not speaking tiny T1/T3's...seems to me the threshold
is rather on that language stuff. Let's fix that too!

/Gunnar

J

jerry

Re: If you would...

Gunnar

Check out the chat room on this site. It has a translation mode that is pretty good. Gives you a choice of which language you want to send and receive (spanish being the default). If you receive in english it will give you the original text and the translated text.

Jerry

D

don CARLOS D D

Chat Room - RESIDENTS ONLY??

I think that Vero has a very good point. The postings by tourists usually involve, golf courses, beaches, restaurants, & shopping - which is natural. I think that permanent residents here & Dominicans, living abroad or in La Republica, have much different, more functional, serious, quotidian areas of concern, worthy of a seperate message board.
I also think that DR1 should be commended for its positive response. I'd be willing to help or [perhaps] monitor such a residents & Dominican Message Board - ONLY IF IN ENGLISH [sorry]. Please contact me, DR1. An attitude well exhibited & appreciated - by many of us.

D

DR1

Appropriate topics....

If you can email me a list of what you would like to chat about, I will pass them onto the person thats organizing a chat room and schedule, every piece of feedback helps. Yes, this would be an English only chat room.

The expat/Dominican message board is a good idea, lets see what we can do.

email: webmaster@dr1.com

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

C

CES

Re: Appropriate topics....

> > > ". . . The expat/Dominican message board is a good idea, lets see what we can do." < < <

It's an excellent idea, 'most' Dominicans aren't interested in discussing the "short pants at dinner question". I think the Dominican community would have a greater interest in a focused 'board'.

Regards,

. . . CES

I

in need

I would be very interested!!!
Please keep me posted.
Thanks

A

arcoiris

Re: Chat Room - RESIDENTS ONLY??

that means you would be willing to moderate an ex-pats who never bothered to learn the native language board. That would only have a very limited appeal to a very small group.

A

arcoiris

CES, do you really mean "Dominican community"? Ex-pat who never bothered to learn Spanish are hardly Dominicans.

S

Sarah

Who are you assuming "never bothered to learn Spanish"?

S

Sarah

Re: Chat Room - RESIDENTS ONLY??

I understood him to mean that since English is our first language, it would be easier for them (ex-pats) to communicate in English rather than Spanish. That makes sense, doesn't it?

D

Daisy

noone really answer the question. So are there any Chat room for people living in DR?

N

Natasha

DR1, are you talking about a message board or a chat room?

Regarding the language issue, why be so arbitrary in imposing English only? Vero, the original poster, wanted to include expats in the DR and the Dominican community in the DR as well as in the US. You have two communities that have two languages, why exclude one? I don't see a problem with giving the Dominican community the option to participate in Spanish, their native language. And who knows, perhaps by having a bilingual chat room/message board, some expats might improve their Spanish ;-) Inevitable, the domininant language would be English due to obvious reasons, but to stamp an English only rule doesn't appear too fair to me.

Regards,
Natasha

T

Tom

Natasha;

I believe the "English only" (Though I think Eng/sp would appear) is the result of DR1 asking for a "volunteer" to run a chatroom they would provide. The only volunteer said he could do it in English only

Tom

N

Natasha

Tom,

If I am not mistaken, DR1 did not ask for any volunteers. As a matter of fact it was Vero who asked to set up a chat room and DR1 suggested that she be prepared to run/moderate it. I commend Carlos D.D. for wanting to help and I also commend DR1's assistance. However, what I objected to was the exclusion of one of the languages that these two groups share. There have been a few discussions even here entirely in Spanish and I don't think it has created any problems in the past. Those who are able to speak Spanish have participated, no problem. I already have stated that by default the prevalent language would be English and I don't have a problem with that. But I don't think stamping English only would be fair, specially if the goal is to attract both groups. Imagine a Dominican whose English might not be that good and who would want to discuss an issue relating to his/her country. Would his/her posts be deleted because they don't comply with the rule of English only? But, I suppose DR1 can run it the way they please.

Regards,
Natasha

T

tgf

Re: Bilingual Chat Room. Como no!

I think that a bilingual format would be great for a true exchange of ideas. One can always use altavista babelfish to get the gist of a message when in doubt or ask for more context. It would be a good tool to improve one's English or Spanish. However, the only way I can get accent marks on this board is to cut and paste. Too bad. It can hinder the use of Spanish to not have accent marks at hand ready to use.

N

Natasha

Re: Bilingual Chat Room. Como no!

I know what you mean Tgf! I have to cut and paste too [from MS Word] in order to write properly when using Spanish on this board. At times I am lazy and let it go and hope that the rest will get where the accent goes. This is awful, I know :-(

Regards,
Natasha

T

Tom

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

If you would...

Posted By: DR1 <webmaster@dr1.com> (adsl-63-234-82.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: Saturday, 16 September 2000, at 6:50 p.m.

In Response To: Chat room for people living in DR (V?ro)

be prepared to moderate/run, then we would be more than happy to set one up for you.

Email me directly if your interested. webmaster@dr1.com

Rob.

Maybe I am mistaken, but that message appears to read that Rob will set up the chat room if someone else would run it