Puerto Plata > LT

matt m

Mar 31, 2008
Hi everybody,

Our little (3 adults one baby) group will be flying into Puerto Plata in early Aug, and making our way to LT asap, and i have a few questions.

1) with a baby, luggage, and a bicycle in a box, what would be the range of options and approximate prices for getting to LT? what would be the best i.e. easiest way with a fair amount of stuff in tow?

2) we have a "pack and play" playpen: should we bring this, or is this type of thing readily available in LT?

3) what in the way of grocery stores or food markets is available in LT? we will be there for two weeks in a rented house, and will be cooking much of the time. italian ingredients? mexican ingredients? things we should definitely bring with? is olive oil available?

many thanks,

matt m

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
1. You will need to rent a car in Puerto Plata or take a taxi.
That's about the only way you can make it.

2. If you really, really need to put the baby in a playpen,
then you need to bring it. You won't find anything like
that around here.

3. We have a couple of decent grocery stores here and you
will find plenty of good olive oil. There is a big Italian
comunity and you can find great Italian products. Not
much in the area of Mexican food.

Make sure you stop by Mi Amor restaurant and say helo, that's where most of the English speaking people meet at noon for lunch.

Juniper

matt m

Mar 31, 2008
thanks juniper!

we will likely have a crib at the house so the playpen isn't really necessary, but i thought it would be convienient to have. if they're not really available, then we'll probably do without.

are there basic ingredients for mexican like black beans, dried chili peppers et cetera? i am assuming that corn tortillas are not available?

is there a place in puerto plata that would be likely to have more 'unusual' ingredients where we could make a stop before heading to LT?

we'll definitely stop by mi amor for lunch!; hope to see you there!

ciao,

matt m

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Matt,

When you are in Puerto Plata you could try, Supermercado Tropical for your ingredients.

Have Fun.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
In Las Terrenas, Supermercado Lindo on the calle principal has corn tortillas, flour tortillas, salsa's, canned jalepeno's, poblamos, etc... Black beans are also in abundance. fresh cilanto on mondays and fridays AM.

Enjoy

cg

matt m

Mar 31, 2008
In Las Terrenas, Supermercado Lindo on the calle principal has corn tortillas, flour tortillas, salsa's, canned jalepeno's, poblamos, etc... Black beans are also in abundance. fresh cilanto on mondays and fridays AM.

Enjoy

cg

wow!

what great news - you just made my day!

many thanks,

matt m

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Sorry, I spoke too soon,.

was in Lindo today and there are no more corn tortillas, they have burito kits with flour tortillas, and bottled salsa, seasoning's , cilantro etc. So you may want to look in POP for corn tortillas, (or just make your own) not to say that by the time your here they will have them back in stock here.

have a nice day

cg

matt m

Mar 31, 2008
hey cg,

when you say "make your own" are you implying that there is corn masa available? that would be great as well!

thanks!

matt m.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Just FYI matt, the city of Puerto Plata is not on the way from the airport to Las Terrenas. The Tropical Supermercado for example, would be about 30 minutes in the opposite direction.

You will pass through Sosua, Cabarete, Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan and Nagua on your way, so suggestions of places to buy supplies in those towns would be more effecient for you.

You should be able to find most ingredients for Mexican or Italian cooking, but hey, you are in the DR, and Dominican cuisine is teriffic! I think there is a link somewhere here on DR1 where you can buy a cookbook!;)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Stop in Sosua

Stop in Sosua, 15 minutes east from airport on your way to LT, at Playero Supermercado, and they almost always have tortillas both corn and flour and other stuff perhaps not readily available elsewhere. It's the last real supermercado you'll find before your destination for things other than typical fare. Arriving in August be sure to get a taxi with a/c if that is the way you get there, or with rental car be sure the a/c works before leaving the airport.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
No, You would have to bring your own masa,, sorry.
but there might be a dominican version,

In Santo Domingo at E.A.T. they had a ton of corn tortillas in the freezer section, but again that was this past thursday, they may well be out of stock. thats our glitch here in country. One day you see it,,,, the next day you don't

good luck

matt m

Mar 31, 2008
Just FYI matt, the city of Puerto Plata is not on the way from the airport to Las Terrenas. The Tropical Supermercado for example, would be about 30 minutes in the opposite direction.

You will pass through Sosua, Cabarete, Gaspar Hernandez, Rio San Juan and Nagua on your way, so suggestions of places to buy supplies in those towns would be more effecient for you.

You should be able to find most ingredients for Mexican or Italian cooking, but hey, you are in the DR, and Dominican cuisine is teriffic! I think there is a link somewhere here on DR1 where you can buy a cookbook!;)

thanks so much for that info; looks like we'll make the stop in sousa!

we are vegetarians, so from what i have read, eating truly local foods might be difficult?

anyway, i figured that mexican and italian would be the easiest to improvise, but we love pretty much any and all foods; we traveled to belize together a few years back and i loved the local food there: put marie sharp's hot sauce on pretty much anything...

thanks again,

matt m

matt m

Mar 31, 2008
Stop in Sosua, 15 minutes east from airport on your way to LT, at Playero Supermercado, and they almost always have tortillas both corn and flour and other stuff perhaps not readily available elsewhere. It's the last real supermercado you'll find before your destination for things other than typical fare. Arriving in August be sure to get a taxi with a/c if that is the way you get there, or with rental car be sure the a/c works before leaving the airport.

that sounds like a great place to stop, thanks for the tip!

matt m

matt m

Mar 31, 2008
the offer has been made to us to be picked up at the airport and taken directly to the house in a minivan-taxi for 200usd and i am wondering if this is considered to be a generally fair price. one alternative would be to take a bus at 7:00 am the next morning, as i understand it which would involve staying in a hotel near POP. another would be to find our own taxi.

if it is a little more, i would be glad to pay for the convienience of being picked up, but if it is double (or a significant percentage more) than what one could expect to pay by finding a taxi at the airport, then i would consider that option as well.

thank you very much,

matt m