Are Dominicans Valued More When Abroad?

miguelspencer

Jan 31, 2008
F?lix S?nchez and his medals, Cat Luna and her hips, Juan Luis Guerra and his international success, Junot D?az, Julia ?lvarez, a handful of peloteros, Papi S?nchez, Milly Jocelyn y los Vecinos, and who knows what comes next...

I couldn't help but wonder, are we as dominicans prone to value ourselves as more Dominicans than the drum when our merits come from abroad? For example, F?lix S?nchez who can barely speak Spanish is used as an example of a quality Dominican, and I think the was not even born in the DR, Juan Luis Guerra's success had it been solely on the island would it have been as much, Junot D?az is really a result of the Dominican product. Even the President is considered a beacon of righteousness (by his followers and many of his licking party members) mainly because he was raised and educated in the US. I think Amelia Vega can be considered an exception.

So, isn't this a message we are sending out to the (sigh) younger generations, that if you want to excel beyond and yonder you need to do it outside your country to then be a real DOMINICAN. I hope I am not so biased in this comment, but I hope you may get my drift.

Discuss

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You make a good point of course. Since the DR is such a small market worldwise, to make it "big" in other areas other than the DR one has to travel in order to showcase one's skills.

Mix that in with the fact that there is so much desire among the general population to leave the DR the first chance you get, voila, you have the perfect environment for an exodus of world class talent.

Unfortunately, another problem is the fact that the only really "famous" examples of people that stay here in the DR are politicians, and we all know why people won't choose them as role models. Heck, you can't even use a politician as a reference on a bank account application!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I couldn't help but wonder, are we as dominicans prone to value ourselves as more Dominicans than the drum when our merits come from abroad?

Depends what you mean by 'value'. Do you mean the glitz & bling of fame & fortune? Or do you mean valuing fellow/sister Dominicans for their intrinsic merits as good, caring human beings even though they might be 'unknowns'? Excelling beyond & yonder isn't just about becoming famous. It's about using to the utmost the gifts we've been given or have taught ourselves. Do you think Dominicans value that any less than any other nationality?