calling U.S. from D.R.

jmegraw

Aug 13, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to call U.S. regularly from D.R. when I vacation. Where I'm staying there's no high-speed internet, just a land line. I'm looking for any good phone card or pinless card or Internet plan that may exist. Most plans are for call Dr from US, not the other way around. I've heard about Plan809 but my Spanish is not good enough to understand the site. Can anyone suggest a plan/card/service? What do you guys use when you call US from DR?

Thanks alot for your help,
Jeremy

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Jeremy, I go to a call center [centro de llamadas] and just use the phones there to speak to whomever i need to get a hold of in the states. it can get expensive so try to limit your calls. unless you know people with Skype accounts I dont know of another logical way....best wishes

Uncledee295

Apr 6, 2005
Try this

Magicjack.com

I use it each time I am in the DR. If you have high speed internet you can call for free.

jmegraw

Aug 13, 2006
Tio:

I guess you will need to know magic to use it without the internet!

or at least high-speed Internet! Where I'm staying only has dial-up and the magicjack's faq says:

No. Dial up internet service does not provide enough bandwidth for magicJack.

Oh well, thanks for thinking of that, it sounds like a great product anyway!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you are not going to use a call center, which is the cheapest route, activate a cheap prepaid local cell phone. You can buy an activated phone for under $RD1000. Just buy an Orange or Claro pre paid card when you run out. There are tons of cell phone threads on this site.

tambo'

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Jeremy, I go to a call center [centro de llamadas] and just use the phones there to speak to whomever i need to get a hold of in the states. it can get expensive so try to limit your calls. unless you know people with Skype accounts I dont know of another logical way....best wishes

the best advise!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
viva

I hear viva (the old centinal) has a very low rate cell plan to call the USA. And.... they also now use either gsm(chip) or cdma phones.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Web callback - Low Rates on Quality International Calling for Call Back Service is a callback service.

You can go to an internet place, set up your account, enter the number you want them to call YOU at, and then the number you want to CALL anywhere in the world, and they also have a delay feature, up to 90 minutes later, so you can go wherever your telephone is to receive the callback. DR to the US is about 10 cents US a minute. They will bill your credit card once a month, or whenever the account hits US$50 in charges.

This system uses the same telephones and lines that any normal call uses, and no messing with bad connections or bad sound, or someone else's computer to do it. You can use it anywhere you travel to, and you don't waste precious cash on a trip to make your calls.