Drowning in Cabarete Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The body of a young boy (Dominican, I believe) was just carried off the beach from in front of Harmony.

While the waters don't look extremely rough today... it's a good time for all of us to remember our limitations and those of the people around us when playing in the surf.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I was advised 18 year old from Santo Domingo, brother of a resident in Cabarete.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Sad Story

My immediate neighbors in the condo complex in which I live are 2 young men from Isreal who are here for 3 months Kite surfing.

They told me this story yesterday and it was one of them who actually pulled the young man to shore then the 2 of them worked to try and save him. An ambulance (which eventually got stuck in the sand) was called and the paramedics took over but to no avail.

The additional sad part of this story is that the poor young man lay on the beach for over an hour waiting for someone to take care of the body. The paramedics comments in answer to why they were not taking him away was that they only dealt with people who were living, and went back to trying to get the ambulance out of the sand.

My neighbors eventually left after 1 1/2 hours and have no idea how much longer he was there.

Truely a sad situation.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
How Else

Well they did have to get the vehicle unstuck before transporting the body I'm assuming. What's the alternative?

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Could be cultural

I've been very upset in the past by bodies being left in the road for sometimes hours on end but have been told by Dominicans that it is part of the culture that it is the duty and responsibility of the family to take care of the body, so others respect this right, very, very distressing as it is.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It isn't that - it's because after an accident a dead body cannot be moved until the medical examiner (m?dico legista) has seen it, and it's often hours before one arrives on the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.