Immigration Canada and Spousal Visa's

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's a shame that the rotten apples always spoil things for everyone.

The articles says;

"Some suggest adopting a more American approach would be the way to toughen the regulations without increasing the amount of refusals.
In the U.S., newly arrived spouses are given "conditional resident" status for two years before they can apply for permanent residency.
Canada grants the person permanent status upon arrival. "

I agree with that to a point. If the sponsored person has bad intentions you may as well get rid of them at the airport and not support them for a couple of years if their intention wasn't to stay married or stay with the person that sponsored them.

It's a tough call and as always the innocent will pay the price.

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
I think the government should have extended the number of years sponsorship instead of decreasing it, and also not giving permanent residency as you land. Both of these factors would make the sponsorees think twice about it. If the marriage is genuine then there shouldn't be a problem in waiting for residency but if you have your doubts about the motives of your new spouses then this would be a red light !

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I think the government should have extended the number of years sponsorship instead of decreasing it, and also not giving permanent residency as you land. Both of these factors would make the sponsorees think twice about it. If the marriage is genuine then there shouldn't be a problem in waiting for residency but if you have your doubts about the motives of your new spouses then this would be a red light !

I agree with your first point to an extent. Having a conditional status like the US would be a good idea in my opinion. It probably would deter many from trying to find a husband/wife for the sole purpose of immigration.

The second point you made I dont really agree with.

It isn't the spouses who are having doubts...it is the government of Canada.

I would hope that anyone who has doubts about their spouses reason for marrying them wouldn't have gotten married in the first place or would have their marriage dissolved as soon as the realize there spouse is a sankie.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I would hope that anyone who has doubts about their spouses reason for marrying them wouldn't have gotten married in the first place or would have their marriage dissolved as soon as the realize there spouse is a sankie.

Unfortunately sometimes realization doesn't come till the sponsored person arrives in Canada and their whole personality suddenly changes.

At that point the sponsored person has his/hers permanent residency card but the sponsor is responsible for the next three years, which means that if the sponsored person decides to get government help the government will get the money from the sponsor.

I think that no matter how they change the laws devious people will always find a way around it.

Last edited:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
very true anna.

maybe the conditional residency status would be a good idea to deal with situations like this or better yet to help prevent them from happening.

ritagillison3

Aug 10, 2008
My soon to be ex-husband tried to get a visa for a DR woman he met 4 days earlier. Luckily the government was not buying the reason for her trip to the US maybe take some English classes. Men are stupid and thankfully the US Government is wise to the sankie DR women. They use poverty, sex and pregnacy to use stupid men!