one-way car rental SDQ to Santiago?

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hello all-

Does anyone know if it's possible to pick-up a rental car at SD airport (SDQ) and return at the Santiago airport?
Though I'd start here before hitting the rental agencies!
Many thanks-
Susan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My question is WHY?

With the price of taxis, public transportation and such, why bother renting? Especially considering the risks to newbie drivers in this country...

If you are an experienced DR driver, okay...but if not, please consider going with public transportation...

HB

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
an excellent question

My question is WHY?

and an excellent question that is! Here's our dilemma:

We will arrive at the airport with big suitcases of things we need for the house we've bought in Las Terrenas (we do not have time this trip to shop locally for pillows, linens, small appliances, etc)

We wanted to take a Caribe bus from airport, but I understand we'd need to first take a taxi to the bus station and the bus doesn't go to LT--

So, the plan is to drive rental car to LT to drop stuff and then return to STI and take bus back to LT--

I welcome ANY alternate ideas!!! Thanks, Hillbilly-
Susan

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Take a cab

Hmm....that probably makes alot of sense! The car rental (thanks agin for that info) was going to be $60us for 24 hours and then we'd have to get back to LT after dropping car at STI--

My hubby has driven in DR and many much more challenging places, so that's no the issue-- But now I'll begin asking (prob'ly in a new thread) "how much is a cab?!" thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I would PM "bachata" and ask him for a reference for someone to pick you up in SDQ, and deliver you and your stuff to LT. Less hassle and probably even money.

Bachata (our old friend JJ) has contacts/friends with large vans, good records and reasonable prices.

Remember Grayhound's motto: Leave the driving to 'them' !!!!!

Good Luck..

HB

michelle Watson

Sep 9, 2009
same situation

I own a home in Las Terrenas as well. I plan to fly to Santiago to shop for furniture. I need transportation from Santiago to Las Terrenas but when I arrive in LT, all I want is a quad. It's much easier and more fun than a car. Therefore, looking for one way transportation. Any advice?