Taxi/Guide To Hoyo Pelempito

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I am planning a trip to Barahona this October and would like to spend a day going up to see Hoyo de Pelempito. There will be 2 or 3 of us and we will be staying somewhere on the Barahona-Pedernales road. We are comming in via guagua and will not have our own vehicle. Would anyone know of a taxi/guide that could take us up there? From what I have read about it, at times it requires a 4 wheel drive to make it in there. There is a company called Ecotours(Ecotour Barahona, our ecologic tours in Dominican Republic) that does it but they seem to do it by the minibusload and don't go every day, especially midweek. I figure it would be more comfortable, economical and convienient if we went up in a private car. I know a few people in Barahona that I'm sure would try it but I thought it might be better if I could find someone that was familiar with the area and had the right type of vehicle. Thanks for any advice.

Borec

Dec 20, 2005
Yoy can get there with normal car, if after heavy rains it might be little bit slippery, but the bad bit is just the last 4 km, so if the road is really bad (I have been there 3x and it was always ok) then you can leave the car there and walk the rest of the way, it is nice walk through a pine forest.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
stay in Pedernales- take a motoconcho!

I am planning a trip to Barahona this October and would like to spend a day going up to see Hoyo de Pelempito. There will be 2 or 3 of us and we will be staying somewhere on the Barahona-Pedernales road. We are comming in via guagua and will not have our own vehicle. Would anyone know of a taxi/guide that could take us up there? From what I have read about it, at times it requires a 4 wheel drive to make it in there. There is a company called Ecotours(Ecotour Barahona, our ecologic tours in Dominican Republic) that does it but they seem to do it by the minibusload and don't go every day, especially midweek. I figure it would be more comfortable, economical and convienient if we went up in a private car. I know a few people in Barahona that I'm sure would try it but I thought it might be better if I could find someone that was familiar with the area and had the right type of vehicle. Thanks for any advice.

Consider staying in Pedernales which is a sweet town. has a couple of great hotels- Dona Chava, among them, and check with them.. when i went to Hoyo last year the road was very bad and only a moto concho would make it... but that was an EXPERIENCE.. go to Dominican Today and see if you can find the article by Alexandra Pope who went with me..

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
The road is only bad after you get inside the national park, from Pedernales to the entrance of the national park, which is a good hour and a half it is a very smooth ride with a paved road, but even inside the park I've seen tourist buses using that road, you just have to drive slow and be very polite and stay to your far right when a vehicle comes the other way since the road is unpaved and very narrow.