Septic tank virgin

Caz

May 15, 2004
Septic tanks are new to me, and after seeing advertising on tv for septic tank conditioners, and seeing neighbours having their tanks emptied by honey-wagons - the question is - what do you need to do on a regular basis when you have a 3-stage septic tank? How often do they need to be emptied (obviously this depends on the number of people in the household, and how full of s*** you are), and are there any no-no's or must-do's? I would really like to avoid a crisis in this department!

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Septic Tanks 101

Septic tanks are new to me, and after seeing advertising on tv for septic tank conditioners, and seeing neighbours having their tanks emptied by honey-wagons - the question is - what do you need to do on a regular basis when you have a 3-stage septic tank? How often do they need to be emptied (obviously this depends on the number of people in the household, and how full of s*** you are), and are there any no-no's or must-do's? I would really like to avoid a crisis in this department!

I am not in the DR, but I do know septic tanks having owned a septic tank related business here in the US. I will reply in general terms because there may be many variables that change any advice you might get, but here is my advice.

First, you must not be fooled by thinking that because the tank is "full" it must be emptied. All septic tanks must be full to work. Basically, water and waste goes in the tank and fills the tank up the outlet. Then each time a little waste comes in, it is acted on by the bacteria and broken down into liquid and sludge, The sludge will settle to the bottom of the tank, but the liquid in the tank will flow out when more waste comes in.

This process goes on until the sludge builds up to a point where it interferes with the liquification, and at that point the tank should be pumped. I have seen tanks go 20 years before this happens, and I have also seen tanks that needed pumping every few years depending on size, use, drainage issues, etc. The soil percolation has more to do with this than anything. Clay soil makes it hard for the liquid to absorb into the soil. While sandy soil easily lets the liquid percolate into the ground and will accept more liquid before becoming saturated and eventually backing up into the outlet of the tank.

In order to keep your tank working efficiently, you should not put any harsh chemicals in it or at least a little as possible. This means do not use excessive amounts of bowl cleaners, lye, lots of cooking grease, or other things that could kill off the live bacteria that work to liquify the waste. About 2 or 3 times a year, you could flush a packet of yeast down the drain to supplement the bacteria in the tank and to make sure the bacteria in the tank are alive and well. You do not need to do much else. Just make sure the drain lines stay clear and open. If the drain slows down, make sure the tank is not full of sludge (thick heavy residue building up from the bottom of the tank.) If it is, then it should be pumped out. When starting with a freshly pumped tank, flush a packet of yeast down the toilet to start the bacteria again

Hope this helps.

Bob H.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks Bob - the system is only 3 years old but I will mind your advice and also put some yeast down there just to help things along!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Having lived with septic systems for 15 years both here and in the US, the above post is very good. Also remember not to put things down the drains (sink, toilet, floor) that do not dissolve. No tampons, cloth, cotton, whiskers or hair from electirc or regular shavers, minimal amount of toilet paper, no other paper, plastic etc. Remember ALL of your drains in the house end up in the septic tank.

Bob K

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Having lived with septic systems for 15 years both here and in the US, the above post is very good. Also remember not to put things down the drains (sink, toilet, floor) that do not dissolve. No tampons, cloth, cotton, whiskers or hair from electirc or regular shavers, minimal amount of toilet paper, no other paper, plastic etc. Remember ALL of your drains in the house end up in the septic tank.

Bob K

Would you not have a soap box also?

affald

May 17, 2004
A house I see being built has only the toilet 4 inch lines into the septic, all other sinks go out to a field that is below the grade of the house. Is this a good practice?

goattoes

May 25, 2007
Bob H. echoes the information given to me just a few weeks ago when I had the septic tank pumped in preparation for selling the house. My Pop used to put Rix-X in the thing monthly. The fellow emptying the tank said that is the worst thing you can do and as Bob H. said, a packet of yeast once in a while is all you need.
My folks had been here close to 30 years with a 3-stage aeration system and never had it pumped that I knew about.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
A house I see being built has only the toilet 4 inch lines into the septic, all other sinks go out to a field that is below the grade of the house. Is this a good practice?

I think that is done because soap, especially laundry detergent, tends to cement the particles of soil together over a long time. That ends up impeding the drainage of the septic tank, so that pumping is required more frequently.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Never put anything down the toilet bowl that has not first passed through your body. Ancient Taino inscription!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
In the states,at least the north east,the waste goes to the septic tank where it is broken down by non arobic bacteria,then it goes to a distrbution box and out to a leaching field where it is further broken down by arobic bacteria.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I must admit, I don't know much about septic tanks because I never felt much attracted to inspect them. Yet, our homes we built in Spain all had septic tank systems and some of the properties we remodeled had systems which had been working for over 20 years while empties only once! All the while it is customary there to flush about everything down the toilet.
Most of today's hygienic toilet papers should decompose almost instantaneously. It's only been in Latin American countries that I have faced the "culture" of stacking up used paper in plain few next to a WC. This has, in my opinion based on my septic tank user experience in other countries, nothing to do with septic tanks but with bad plumbing.

I think the key is to build it right, in a generous size and have good plumbing using the right sizes of pipes, tubes and slopes.

I might also question the bacterial systems in a world where chlorine is found in the water and so many products used in most any household. Chlorine kills bacteria... at least that's the idea(?). Short, I don't know how that can work together.

... J-D.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Just a quick question:

How big is a "packet" of yeast?

I'm not sure what the poster who made the original referrence to a packet of yeast had in mind, but what I've seen for brewing a five gallon bucket of beer is no bigger than two single serving size packets of coffee-mate, the non-dairy coffee lightener.

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
Use Rid-X. I used it and it has worked perfectly. My septics are over 8 years old in one house and 12 years old in another house here in the DR. I use Rid-X once every quarter (not once per month as they recommend) and I have never had a problem.

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
yeast packets

I'm not sure what the poster who made the original referrence to a packet of yeast had in mind, but what I've seen for brewing a five gallon bucket of beer is no bigger than two single serving size packets of coffee-mate, the non-dairy coffee lightener.

That's correct. A packet is just one of the little envelopes you would use for baking or brewing...as wuarhat stated.