Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Republic Wedding Traditions

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Wedding Traditions

What kinds of things are done at weddings in the DR that we may not do here in North America? Anyone have any info?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

here in the DR many in attendance will be carrying concealed guns and the music will be much too loud...........................

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have anything helpful to add? There must be some things that they do there that we don't do here and vice versa.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lexi View Post
    Does anyone have anything helpful to add? There must be some things that they do there that we don't do here and vice versa.
    Bodas.com - Todo Sobre Bodas en la Internet - Costumbres y Tradiciones
    TRADICIONES Y COSTUMBRES

If you don't speak Spanish, here are some links for translations.

Google Translate
    Free Translation and Professional Translation Services from SDL International
    Reverso : On-line Translator, Free Automatic Translation, Dictionary

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rocky.

But are there any traditions that only pertain to Dominican weddings? Things that we don't normally do in North American weddings? Or is it pretty much the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rocky.

But are there any traditions that only pertain to Dominican weddings? Things that we don't normally do in North American weddings? Or is it pretty much the same?
    Did you read those links?
    They tell you everything you need to know about Dominican weddings, so you can easily compare them to your own customs.

PS: I have zero wedding experience, so I can't point out the differences to you, but a few of the things on the lists from those links, seemed a bit different than the NA weddings.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Rocky I did read the links and I used Google to translate them. Thanks again. I appreciate you looking for those links for me however they are mostly origins of traditions and not traditions that are used soley in the DR. I have come across many of these types of websites while looking for this info.

Maybe I didn't specify what I am really looking for. I am interested in finding out if there is anything done at a wedding in the DR that would normally not be done at a wedding in N.America. I am sure that lots of members on here have gone to a few Dominican weddings? If so, did you notice anything done that you hadn't seen before?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Rocky I did read the links and I used Google to translate them. Thanks again. I appreciate you looking for those links for me however they are mostly origins of traditions and not traditions that are used soley in the DR. I have come across many of these types of websites while looking for this info.

Maybe I didn't specify what I am really looking for. I am interested in finding out if there is anything done at a wedding in the DR that would normally not be done at a wedding in N.America. I am sure that lots of members on here have gone to a few Dominican weddings? If so, did you notice anything done that you hadn't seen before?
    Other than being made to sit in an uncomfortable chair, for what seemed to be an eternity, while being blasted off the planet with loud music, and being bored to tears, I saw nothing different.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have a bash, even though I'm no expert, having been to very few weddings here.

First of all, many Dominicans do not formally get married. Weddings are more of a middle class/upper class/society thing. These can be staggeringly lavish, some exquisitely tasteful and others, not so much. A friend is in the biz and we tell her she should write an anonymous blog about the stuff she has to deal with, or at the very least a Hollywood screenplay!

Most will involve a Catholic ceremony followed by a reception. More and more couples have a civil ceremony only, also followed by a party.

As Rocky said, there are no common traditions that stand out as different - wedding dress/bridesmaid/pages/cake/rice or confetti/speech/presents/food/booze/dancing... there is a madrina (equivalent to maid of honour) and padrino (best man).

Some couples will have hen and stag nights (despedida de solteros/as) before the wedding and a honeymoon after. In short, traditions have become globalised.

What would be interesting would be to hear from old timers about old campo traditions that may have died out.

Post Thanks / Like

We put bits and pieces and this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/men-mars-w...de-resort.html

It's mostly info on weddings outside a resort but you'll find some traditions in there too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast