Dominican Republic Wedding Traditions

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Dominican Wedding Traditions

What kinds of things are done at weddings in the DR that we may not do here in North America? Anyone have any info?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
here in the DR many in attendance will be carrying concealed guns and the music will be much too loud...........................

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Does anyone have anything helpful to add? There must be some things that they do there that we don't do here and vice versa.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks Rocky.

But are there any traditions that only pertain to Dominican weddings? Things that we don't normally do in North American weddings? Or is it pretty much the same?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky.

But are there any traditions that only pertain to Dominican weddings? Things that we don't normally do in North American weddings? Or is it pretty much the same?
Did you read those links?
They tell you everything you need to know about Dominican weddings, so you can easily compare them to your own customs.

PS: I have zero wedding experience, so I can't point out the differences to you, but a few of the things on the lists from those links, seemed a bit different than the NA weddings.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Yes, Rocky I did read the links and I used Google to translate them. Thanks again. I appreciate you looking for those links for me however they are mostly origins of traditions and not traditions that are used soley in the DR. I have come across many of these types of websites while looking for this info.

Maybe I didn't specify what I am really looking for. I am interested in finding out if there is anything done at a wedding in the DR that would normally not be done at a wedding in N.America. I am sure that lots of members on here have gone to a few Dominican weddings? If so, did you notice anything done that you hadn't seen before?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes, Rocky I did read the links and I used Google to translate them. Thanks again. I appreciate you looking for those links for me however they are mostly origins of traditions and not traditions that are used soley in the DR. I have come across many of these types of websites while looking for this info.

Maybe I didn't specify what I am really looking for. I am interested in finding out if there is anything done at a wedding in the DR that would normally not be done at a wedding in N.America. I am sure that lots of members on here have gone to a few Dominican weddings? If so, did you notice anything done that you hadn't seen before?
Other than being made to sit in an uncomfortable chair, for what seemed to be an eternity, while being blasted off the planet with loud music, and being bored to tears, I saw nothing different.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'll have a bash, even though I'm no expert, having been to very few weddings here.

First of all, many Dominicans do not formally get married. Weddings are more of a middle class/upper class/society thing. These can be staggeringly lavish, some exquisitely tasteful and others, not so much. A friend is in the biz and we tell her she should write an anonymous blog about the stuff she has to deal with, or at the very least a Hollywood screenplay!

Most will involve a Catholic ceremony followed by a reception. More and more couples have a civil ceremony only, also followed by a party.

As Rocky said, there are no common traditions that stand out as different - wedding dress/bridesmaid/pages/cake/rice or confetti/speech/presents/food/booze/dancing... there is a madrina (equivalent to maid of honour) and padrino (best man).

Some couples will have hen and stag nights (despedida de solteros/as) before the wedding and a honeymoon after. In short, traditions have become globalised.

What would be interesting would be to hear from old timers about old campo traditions that may have died out.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
After cutting the cake the bride and groom put wedding cake on each others noses....hahaha
No for real..I've seen it twice now...but it is funny...lol

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
I think that the "cake" is really important. Usually very big and over the top fussy with decorations. In the US, at least in the cities ;), I think that a more sophisticated and "designer" type of cake is common although much more simple that the Dominican wedding cake. But the Dominican brides love a big huge heavily decorated cake...

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i have consulted with my Dominican wife who has been to numerous weddings in the DR and the US and she can't see any difference except for how much they cost and the best ones cost the most to her, though the room could be filled with klingons. yes, they toss the bouquet and do that garter thing too, cake, yes. i have seen the hokey pokey in spanish and the electric slide, in the campo! good thing i was sober or i would have thought i was on some bad drugs..............now, funerals are very different, but that would be a different thread......................

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks everyone! It seems like there aren't many differences nowadays. Maybe there never really was?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. Groom has a best woman not a best man.
2. The guy who gives the woman away (padrino) and the best woman (madrina) are supposed to pay for loads of stuff - so many refuse the honour when asked.
3. As said the cake is very important and usually collapses!
4. The groom is supposed to take the womans garter off with his teeth
5. The bride only throws one flower from her bouquet. (I threw all of mine and a massive cat fight ensued ripping the bouquet to pieces!)
6. You eat very late as Dominicans all leave once they have eaten!
7. Most weddings are around 5pm - in the uk I can't remember but I think the latest time is 3pm, in case it is dark and you marry the wrong man! Goes back to when there was no electricity.
8. You have to have a guard on the wedding presents here in case they 'walk'
9. A lot of those invited don't turn up, and a lot whop were not invited do turn up. No RSVP!!

Matilda

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When you say "has a best woman", do you man in the biblical sense?
I've always shied away from marriage, but if I'm allowed to have a best woman, it's starting to sound a bit more interesting.
Would I be allowed to change my best woman, let's say..... once a week?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
2. The guy who gives the woman away (padrino) and the best woman (madrina) are supposed to pay for loads of stuff - so many refuse the honour when asked.
3. As said the cake is very important and usually collapses!
4. The groom is supposed to take the womans garter off with his teeth
5. The bride only throws one flower from her bouquet. (I threw all of mine and a massive cat fight ensued ripping the bouquet to pieces!)
6. You eat very late as Dominicans all leave once they have eaten!
7. Most weddings are around 5pm - in the uk I can't remember but I think the latest time is 3pm, in case it is dark and you marry the wrong man! Goes back to when there was no electricity.
8. You have to have a guard on the wedding presents here in case they 'walk'
9. A lot of those invited don't turn up, and a lot whop were not invited do turn up. No RSVP!!

Matilda
Yes!
Numbers 6 and 9 apply to all Dominican parties.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When you say "has a best woman", do you man in the biblical sense?
I've always shied away from marriage, but if I'm allowed to have a best woman, it's starting to sound a bit more interesting.
Would I be allowed to change my best woman, let's say..... once a week?

The best woman is to calm your nerves and make you look more beautiful. The most she can do is hold your hand a little and maybe a peck on the cheek. if she does more than that and you are marrying a dominican woman you will have very little cahnce of consumating your marriage as your tatooed bits will be fish food. Best woman is also usually chosen by bride and as such is likely to be fat old and ugly

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Best woman is also usually chosen by bride and as such is likely to be fat old and ugly
What type of lousy deal is that?
It's no wonder I never got married.
When a wife starts sticking her nose into which mistress you choose, then it's time to get out.