Best 1-Day Trip

Sugoya

Jun 15, 2008
What do you consider to be the best 1-day trip from Santo Domingo? Get there early (at least when businesses open), and be back in Santo Domingo some time before 9-10pm.

(a.) If the trip was with your girlfriend?

(b.) If the trip was with your father?

Details VERY appreciated. Give me your opinions. Thanks.

The best one-day trip is with me.
I have a trip to the market-place in San Pedro de Macoris.
Than visit to a Dutch sigarfactory.
Than visit to the caves Los Maravillas.
Eating in a restaurant on the beach from Bayahibe.
Than visit Altos de Chavon and back to Santo Domingo.
I can do this trip with one to four persons with my new car with airconditioning.
I am official tourguide already 13 years.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Dre Broeders, what time does your tour start? 6/7am? nice drive from SD to SPDM then further east to Bayahibe? early in the week i take it? before traffic settles in between Juan Dolio to SPDM and again to la romana? and then back to SD? this i have to see to believe!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
the drive alone from the capital to SPDM then through La Romana to eat in some place in Bayahibe alone will take half a day over and back......too much to pack into one day, im sure the poster wants to see a lot in daylight

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Salcedo is a nice day trip, you can visit the Hermanas Mirabal museum and do La Ruta del Cafe if you want an easy trek in the countryside.

Cambita in San Cristobal for a scenic drive from the capital and lunch at L'Aubergine high up in the mountains.

Altos de Chavon and Cueva de las Maravillas are within comfortable distance for a leisurely day trip and a good lunch. Anything beyond would be less leisurely, IMO.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I agree Chirimoya, to really appreciate a good leisurely day trip and some good food one would have to think about 2 or 3 destinations top...otherwise you will be cramming too much into one day....i like your suggestions for La Ruta del Cafe. I personally like driving and the drive to Bayahibe is long but very scenic and beautiful...but all that just to sit and have lunch? LOL
I would suggest the national park Haitises but one can spend a WHOLE day there! :)

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
wow

Cambita in San Cristobal for a scenic drive from the capital and lunch at L'Aubergine high up in the mountains.

I just noticed you said San Cristobal, where my wife is from! LOL :bunny:
I have never been to L'Aubergine! I have heard much of it and its delicious food! how would you get there from the center of town? :ermm:
gracias - Jaime

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
This is my daytrip I'm planning for this Saturday with my boyfriend and my mother:

Leaving from Santo Domingo, taking the new Samana highway and go through Nagua, from there take the road towards Cabrera, pass Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua and then Puerto Plata, have lunch in Santiago and back to Santo Domingo via Autopista Duarte, is that feasible for one day? I don't know, any feedback will be appreciated.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
if you start your trip at 6am, hopefully midweek [trying to avoid weekend traffic], from SD to Nagua you can do it 1.5 hours, then west you can hit up all those places for at least 1 hour each, so spend an hour at Cabrera, Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata...maybe you get to Puerto Plata for lunch....because from PP to Santiago will run you 45mins depending on traffic on this windy road....
the drive back from Santiago to SD on the autopista will run you 2 hours if there is no traffic and weather permitting....can you do this in 1 day? i dont see why not but you will be tired....im tired just thinking about it! :eek:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I just noticed you said San Cristobal, where my wife is from! LOL :bunny:
I have never been to L'Aubergine! I have heard much of it and its delicious food! how would you get there from the center of town? :ermm:
gracias - Jaime

You take the road that goes up to Cambita-Garabito and La Colonia, and L'Aubergine is signposted throughout. The setting and the food make up for the not-so-great service. You have to book because they are always full.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
if you start your trip at 6am, hopefully midweek [trying to avoid weekend traffic], from SD to Nagua you can do it 1.5 hours, then west you can hit up all those places for at least 1 hour each, so spend an hour at Cabrera, Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata...maybe you get to Puerto Plata for lunch....because from PP to Santiago will run you 45mins depending on traffic on this windy road....
the drive back from Santiago to SD on the autopista will run you 2 hours if there is no traffic and weather permitting....can you do this in 1 day? i dont see why not but you will be tired....im tired just thinking about it! :eek:

It does sound like a lot to do in one day, I might need to rethink it or do it in two days, thanks for the feedback ;)

lanoche

Dec 2, 2007
La Isla de Saona is an absolutely fabulous outing. We left our apartment at 8:00 and arrived back about the same time. We bought our tickets at Faenza Tours in Juan Dolio at US $55 each, and it was well worth it. We took a tour bus to Bayahibe, then speed boat to the island where we had a delicious meal and live entertainment. We slowly came back by catamaran. It was wonderful. I would recommend this to anyone.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
My favorite one day trip from SD is by far Jarabacoa. It is only an hour and a half drive from the capital but it is a world away. The town boasts 3 waterfalls: Lower Jimenoa, Upper Jimenoa (best one) and Salto Baiguate. The Upper Jimenoa requires a semi-tough hike but the payoff is worth it when you arrive at the fall. The town is quaint with a beautiful central park and some great restaurants.

Jarabacoa is always my SD escape...

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Salto de Jimenoa Jarabacoa, JJ's galery

saltodejimenoa.jpg

sbreelriojimenoa.jpg

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Bachata,

This is the lower Salto Jimenoa, did you make it to the upper? Much more beautiful.

Yes I'd been there many time on the hot summer days. Right there is a nice and natural swimming pool, where the water is fresh. Jarabacoa is 45 min. away from Santiago this is my favorite one day trip. on the way you can stop to buy " Torta Dulce " or '' Torta amarga " and " Yaniqueque " in Bayacanes, then three min. on the way you will find " el mirador de la Virgen ", in Jarabacoa you can visit " Laconfluencia " where Jimenoa river split into Jaque del norte river usually I take a horse ride in this place and enjoy swimming in the fresh water.

JJ.