from sousa to samana

palawan

Jul 23, 2008
hi everyone

im arriving in dr 17th december into peurto plata I plan to spend 3 or nights in sousa then head up to samana for christ mas before heaing back to POP for my return flight on new years day.

I believe i can do it by buses via santa domingo but how long will this take? and how easy will it be for myself with limited spanish( i am an experienced independant traveller) are there any flight options. I live in hope

many thanks

Mark

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Mark, if I am understanding you correctly:
you are headed into Puerto Plata and then want to go to Sosua for 3 days and then to Samana? All these are on the north coast, you can take a bus from one place to another without having to go via Santo Domingo. If you claim to be an experienced independent traveller then do it with a spanish dictionary and or take lessons between now and the holidays. as long as you are wary of your surroundings and dont let yourself be fooled or conned you'll be ok. The north coast is full of expats and or english speaking people that can gladly help you get around and get you to your destiantion! HAPPY AND SAFE TRAVELLING! - Jaime

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From Sosua there is a small bus that will take you to Samana. It starts at Puerta Plata and passes through Sosua at about 745 800 AM. Go to the transport center across from the Texaco station and inquire, as I have not checked on this for awhile. They will know.

Anyway it is about $8 or $9 US in pesos per person. There is a return every day also. But again, go to the center and ask someone.

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
Puerto Plata - Samana

The Puerto Plata - Samana bus passes through Sosua ( El Batey ) about 7:10 am. It doesn't always stop across from the Texaco, sometimes you have to flag it down.

Aug 19, 2004
Be aware that travel around Christmas can be more difficult as there will be many Dominicans try to get home as well.

palawan

Jul 23, 2008
muchos gracias amigos

thats exactly what i wanted to know thanks very much. does anyone know how long it takes?

sshabazz

Aug 1, 2008
Samana to Puerto Plata

Hello All,

I'm interested in making this trip in reverse, from Samana to Puerto Plata. DOes anyone have info about the return trip, ie where it leaves from in Samana, time, how long it takes? Also, who is the bus operator? Thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello All,

I'm interested in making this trip in reverse, from Samana to Puerto Plata. DOes anyone have info about the return trip, ie where it leaves from in Samana, time, how long it takes? Also, who is the bus operator? Thanks
That same bus returns around 1 PM and there's an early guagua at approx 7 AM.
There's no real need for you to know the precise time, right now, as it could change between now and your trip, and once you're out there, you need only ask anyone involved in public transport industry, or at your hotel.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
thats exactly what i wanted to know thanks very much. does anyone know how long it takes?
POP to Nagua by car about 2 and half to three hours
Nagua to Samana is about half hour so i would say Samana to POP is around 3 hrs15 Min,s max QUOTE by CAR

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
damn POP to Nagua takes that long? 2.5 to 3 hours? thats a longer drive than from La Capital up to Samana via the new highway! are the roads that bad that it takes this long to drive the north coast? :eek:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
damn POP to Nagua takes that long? 2.5 to 3 hours? thats a longer drive than from La Capital up to Samana via the new highway! are the roads that bad that it takes this long to drive the north coast? :eek:

From Sosua I get to Nagua in 1.5 hours, should be no more than 2-2.5 from PP. I am talking about someone who drives like a local, and not a snail.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Normal driving times would be 2 hours from Sosua to Nagua, 30 minutes more to Sanchez and another 30 minutes to Las Terrenas.
I have driven it as fast as Sky mentioned, but I was flying low that day.
It certainly would not be recommended to do so in a rent a car and lesser DR driving experience.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I have the DR driving experience but never drive like a fool in DR, whether in a rental or not....i think i will keep it at a moderate pace and just hope not to get lost, avoid potholes and or people/animals....LOL

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have the DR driving experience but never drive like a fool in DR, whether in a rental or not....i think i will keep it at a moderate pace and just hope not to get lost, avoid potholes and or people/animals....LOL
I wasn't suggesting to drive like a fool and the mention of the rent a car, is because they would rarely live up to the safety standards of some of our personal cars that are highly maintained and have exceptional handling, brakes, tires, traction control systems, etc.
The Lexus I had before my present car, was easily as safe at 90 MPH as a small Suzuki compact at 50 MPH.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to experience a little adventure on the way to Nagua, I can recommend two places that I doubt many people have ever been to.

They are both before Nagua off of the main road to the right. I am pretty sure they are after Cabrera, but I cannot swear as I know the two spots and just go there on cruise control.

First one you will see a sign Water Shower, or something shower on your right. This is a deep lake with a tree fairly high above the lake where there is a rope tied to the tree. You climb a short distance, with the help of a Dominican, grab the rope and make like Tarzan. Not for the faint of heart, or any non swimmers.

The second place is a lot more docile. It is a short distance past the first. The sign reads BLU LAK, not sure of the spelling, but you will see it on your right. You drive in a bit and park. There is a bridge to a Cave where you can swim in the clearest, and possibly the coldest water in a rock cave that you will ever see. Again, you need to be a swimmer, as if you touch the bottom there are tons of rocks that will cut you. This place is simply a beautiful freak of nature.

This place has a small fee that you may have to pay a bit down the road in a Colmado. Just go and if no one is there, you can walk over the bridge an swim, or if someone is there, they will tell you what is necessary.