Booked return ticket, only use return portion of ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi there

Has anyone ever booked a return flight with Thomsonfly (London Gatwick - Puerto Plata) and only used the second leg of the flight (POP back to LGW) without the airline cancelling the ticket because you didn't show up for the outbound flight?

I have heard different views on this one and every time I call the airline I am told different things. Lastest is that they do not cancel your ticket even if you don't show up on the outbound flight - but I just want to check if anyone has done this before and whether they had any complications when they got to the airport to check in?

Thanks in advance
Daydream

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, last year June 2007. I did it all through the Puerto Plata office, no complications at all. They issued a temporary ticket prior to the arrival of the 'proper' one from UK. 'Proper' tickets are usually written 4 weeks before the flight & for one way travellers are sent out in the Thomson mailbag. They assured me that even if it didn't arrive there would be no problems. The mailbag with my ticket never did arrive :cheeky: so I turned up at the airport with the temporary one & that worked just fine. I decided to buy an upgrade at the airport as I was checking in & that worked fine, too.

Just keep in regular contact with the PP office prior to departure - this is to reinforce that you will be travelling on a certain date AND to see if your 'proper' ticket arrives. But don't sweat if it doesn't. There are plenty of Thomson reps at the airport & if you have made yourself known at the office in advance you're bound to see someone you recognise.

Just to reiterate - I did none of this through the UK booking service. I did it all throught the PP office so that I could hold someone accountable should anything go wrong. I didn't want anyone to have the excuse that it was down to the UK end if anything went wrong. But, nothing did go wrong.

Last edited:

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Yes, last year June 2007. I did it all through the Puerto Plata office, no complications at all. They issued a temporary ticket prior to the arrival of the 'proper' one from UK. 'Proper' tickets are usually written 4 weeks before the flight & for one way travellers are sent out in the Thomson mailbag. They assured me that even if it didn't arrive there would be no problems. The mailbag with my ticket never did arrive :cheeky: so I turned up at the airport with the temporary one & that worked just fine. I decided to buy an upgrade at the airport as I was checking in & that worked fine, too.
Thanks for your reply - can I just check from what you said above, did you buy a one way ticket from the office in POP when you travelled?

I have previously purchased one way (POP-LGW) tickets both from the office in POP and via the call centre in the UK, however now they are telling me you can't buy a one way ticket anymore?? I find this strange :ermm:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
can I just check from what you said above, did you buy a one way ticket from the office in POP when you travelled?

No to one way & yes to the office in POP. That's why when you asked 'Has anyone ever booked a return flight with Thomsonfly (London Gatwick - Puerto Plata) and only used the second leg of the flight (POP back to LGW)'. I replied 'Yes, last year June 2007'.

I was a one way traveller. The ticket was not. Is that any clearer? ;)

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
No to one way & yes to the office in POP. That's why when you asked 'Has anyone ever booked a return flight with Thomsonfly (London Gatwick - Puerto Plata) and only used the second leg of the flight (POP back to LGW)'. I replied 'Yes, last year June 2007'.

I was a one way traveller. The ticket was not. Is that any clearer? ;)

Yes, sorry - me being stupid. It's been one of those days today.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Lambada, when purchasing online in the UK I can browse all the dates from now to many months ahead and pick out a cheap flight (has been around ?300 all in, but nowadays more like ?400). Would I enjoy the same range of choices if purchasing from the POP end, or is the selection of dates and prices more restricted?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada, when purchasing online in the UK I can browse all the dates from now to many months ahead and pick out a cheap flight (has been around ?300 all in, but nowadays more like ?400). Would I enjoy the same range of choices if purchasing from the POP end, or is the selection of dates and prices more restricted?

I don't see why you couldn't browse online, select the date you want & go to the PP office & purchase but as I don't work for any of the travel companies I can't speak for them and your question might be more appropriately directed to the PP office of Thomson, for example - you won't have a language problem.;)

I found them most helpful last year - I was all set to buy a 2 week ticket & they searched to see if they had a 1 week ticket which would be less expensive and..........they did :) .

Ama

Sep 5, 2007
One Way To Uk...

Hello everybody...I need help!
In month of October this year I plan to go to UK (London).- will stay there until February 2009.
The cheapest flights I found were by Thomsonfly (are they direct?)....but browsing on line I have a horrible time to find anything!
I have Polish passport on the top of everything,lol,lol
Do I have to buy 2 way ticket or there is possibility to get a one way only?
Where is Thomsonfly office in Puerto Plata........
Do you guys have any suggestions...please!! I`m getting discourage !!

Thanks!
Astrid

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you think the Polish passport makes a difference to entering the UK you could check this first with the UK Hon Consul in Puerto Plata or PM dv8 who herself is Polish (although I don't know which passport she has). And yes, there are direct thomsonfly flights PP to LGW.

badboy_95

Nov 17, 2008
1 way ticket from POP to LGW

Hi daydream

I'm trying to book a ticket from Puerto Plata to London Gatwick can you tell if you were successful. The First Choice Office in POP keep telling to me to book the ticket via the UK Office and the UK office tell me to book the ticket throught the POP Office.

Please HELP.........................................................................

Daniel:cheeky:

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Normally when you book a ticket and don't use the outbound flight the return is cancelled as they think of you as a no show. I am not sure if this is the same with Thomas Cook or not.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Normally when you book a ticket and don't use the outbound flight the return is cancelled as they think of you as a no show. I am not sure if this is the same with Thomas Cook or not.
NOT if you organise it through THIS end & stay in touch with the DR office for the company you buy from!! YOU need to be a bit proactive in this matter rather than relying on bureaucratic pen pushers in UK to organise your life for you!! Read Lambada's posts again to see what she DID. ~ Grahame.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
NOT if you organise it through THIS end & stay in touch with the DR office for the company you buy from!! YOU need to be a bit proactive in this matter rather than relying on bureaucratic pen pushers in UK to organise your life for you!! Read Lambada's posts again to see what she DID. ~ Grahame.

I am just saying this from a Canadian Travel agents point of view. That is why I said to check with Thomas Cook. I know that some of the Charter airlines do it, but I wasn't sure about Thomas Cook. I went and re read Lambadas post as I guess I missed it.

Cheers
Erin :)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am just saying this from a Canadian Travel agents point of view. That is why I said to check with Thomas Cook.
Cheers
Erin :)
Ahhhh, hence the confusion. This thread has been about UK to DR rather than Canada to DR. WE were referring to the system used by UK airlines & UK Tour Companies. I have done it with a few times with J.M.C & even First Choice in the past but DO accept that First Choice may have changed their policy over the years! (Aren't they now Canadian owned??). ~ Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.