Bringing pet dog to Canada

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
I am going to Canada on August 16. I want to bring my dog with me. Does anyone know of a English vet here in Santo Domingo? I know I have to get her rabies shot complete with the certificate. Is there anything else I will need for her legally? I will be having a short stop 1.5 hours(transit) in the states before i head for Toronto.

Thank God she don't have to be included in the sponsorship precess! ;)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am going to Canada on August 16. I want to bring my dog with me. Does anyone know of a English vet here in Santo Domingo? I know I have to get her rabies shot complete with the certificate. Is there anything else I will need for her legally? I will be having a short stop 1.5 hours(transit) in the states before i head for Toronto.

Thank God she don't have to be included in the sponsorship precess! ;)
No problem with certificate from any vet. in the DR. for Canada, BUT... better check with the US people concerning your in-transit stop over./

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Better check with your airline about temperature restrictions - it may be too hot at this time of year.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And, you had better check about the dog's breed: I got Yoshi because (1) he was too big to ship and (2) he belonged to a breed that was considered to be "pug-nosed" and apparently Canada has some restrictions on that, too.

Thank you Canada and thank you Dave and Family, Yoshi is fine, beautiful and the adoration of an entire family...and you all know why!!

HB

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
My dog is a size 2 chihauhau..i think thats how its spelt. I went today to AA which is the carrier i am travelling with. Whoever said about the restrictions about the heat was right...however I am going to take her in cabin and i booked her with my flight today. I was told by the airlines that she needs her rabies vacine for both US and Canada to be considered on the plane. Before we are allowed to board we need to take her to the "Sanidad Animal" which is a part of the airport "vet", that checks the dog for health before you can go. I was told to be a medical certificate of good health along with the vacine records. Thank God i have all of the current stuff already done. Oh and i have no idea how much it will cost at the airport ..if anything. I will keep everyone posted about this matter, this way if someone runs into the same issue they will be informed.

Thanks to everyone who posted!

drakes

Sep 16, 2008
I brought my cat to Santo Domingo from Toronto, Canada on May 11th, about 4 months ago, and I am taking him back with me at the end of the month.

I read under the Government of Canada Website, and it gives the following info:

Importations of Domestic Cats three (3) months of age or over from countries Canada does not recognize as rabies-free

The information on this page is current as of 2008-9- 16 .

1. Domestic or pet cats may enter Canada if accompanied by an original valid rabies vaccination certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian(1) in either English or French, which clearly identifies the cats and states that they are currently vaccinated against rabies. The certificate should identify the animals as to breed, colour, weight, etc., and indicate the name of the licensed rabies vaccine used (trade name), including serial number and the duration of its validity (up to three years). Please note that if the duration of validity is not indicated on the certificate, it will be considered to be valid for one year. There is no waiting period imposed between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

OR

2. If an animal arrives at a Canadian port of entry and does not meet the above requirements of paragraph 1), an inspector will order the owner-at the owner's expense-to have the animal vaccinated against rabies within the specified period of time and to provide the vaccination certificate to an inspector.

* Cats under three (3) months of age may enter Canada without an export certificate and are not required to be vaccinated for rabies.

(1) A licensed veterinarian is a veterinarian who is licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the country of origin.

Now, acording to this, I should be ok, as I have the original International Certificate of Health expedited in Toronto.
But I can't find ANYWHERE what the rules are to take my cat out of here.
I emailed a vet for info, and he said that the "College of Veterinarians" here has a Law that states that no animal goes out of the country unless they are paid for papers. The papers are obsolete, given the fact that I can't use them at all to get the cat into Canada, so that doesn't make sense.
Then I read somewhere else that at the airport there is a "Sanidad Animal" inspector that sees the animal before it leaves. That makes a bit more sense to me. Yet someone else told me that if I don't have a bunch of tests, De-worming, more vaccines and other documents drawn here, they won't let my cat out of the country when I get to the airport.

Does anyone have any clue about how it works to get OUT of here? Seems that getting my cat back into Canada will prove to be easier -and cheaper- than getting him out of here. Which also makes no sense.

drakes

Sep 16, 2008
Vet and info

Ok. I called the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo.
They referred me to a vet called Dr. Alba.

He is at "Hospital Veterinario Dr. Alba"
Avenida Romulo Betancourt #1554, Almost at the corner of Nunez de Caceres (sp?), right beside Burger King.
He told me that the cat needs papers to leave the country.
I bring the cat in for a checkup, then they draw up the certificate, then the certificate has to travel to Public Health and pay a tax. Then it has to go to "External Affairs" and pay another tax. Then it goes to the Canadian Consulate in Santo Domingo, to pay a US$50 tax, then back to Public health for another tax. They say if I do the foot work, its $1000 pesos. If they do the foot work for me its $3000 pesos.
At least he is recommended by the Canadian Embassy. But honestly, I think its another scam to get money. But I will find out for sure once I reach Toronto, and they tell me the papers are worth nothing :)

Oh by the way, Dr. Alba is open Monday to Friday 9a, to 6pm and Saturdays 9am to 3pm, and his number is 809-535-0538

Hope this helps someone somewhere on this island :)

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I have never heard of such a complicated procedure to bring an animal from the DR to Canada. We bring our dog to Canada once a year. We get a certificate of health from a vet in the DR and that is all we need. Maybe it's different for cats.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I should add that the only thing that is of interest to Canada is that the vaccinations are up to date. You should have had a vaccination certificate from a Canadian vet to bring your cat into the DR. The certificate from the DR vet is to allow you to take the cat out of the DR.

drakes

Sep 16, 2008
I should add that the only thing that is of interest to Canada is that the vaccinations are up to date. You should have had a vaccination certificate from a Canadian vet to bring your cat into the DR. The certificate from the DR vet is to allow you to take the cat out of the DR.

I gathered that the certificate is to take the cat out of DR. I still fail to see why I have to pay the vet AND 3 other taxes after that.

I do have a certificate of vaccinations and an International Certificate of Health issued by a Canadian Vet, and that is all I'm being asked for upon returning to Canada. But I believe I specified all that above. If I didn't, pardon the misunderstanding.

sherri

Jan 25, 2006

Well, I brought my dog back to Canada last month with me and this is exactly all that I needed.

1. All vacine up to date for the age of the dog(get a copy from the vet)
2.A rabies Certificate
3.A health certificate within 30 days from your flight(cost 1000 pesos at my vet.
4.Arrive 3 hours before your flight, before you check in go to Sanidad Animal at the airport to get another health certificate and they check your papers for your animal as well. Cost is 300 pesos. They are not always "in" there so you may have to hunt them down, hence the 3 hours before just in case. Also if you dont speak Spanish I advise you have someone who does. The man dont know a lick of English.

After you have that done go to the airlines to check in, if you have not already bought your cat a ticket, get the ticket for your cat and yourself and go through customs.

When i arrived in the states they looked breifly at the papers and when i arrived in Canada they didnt ask to see anything. And it says you must pay a $30 CDN tax for the animal but I didnt have to and i dont know why. Oh well saved myself $30 dollars..so off to Tim Hortons I went!!...

Good Luck!

bobby3

Mar 8, 2009
punta cana veterinarian?

Hi everyone! I'm wanting to adopt a stray dog from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I am from London Ontario Canada and I'm trying to find a licensed veterinarian in Punta Cana, so I can fly back to get the dog and take him to the veterinarian to get his vaccines/health certificate to come back to Canada. Any information you may have on finding a licensed veteriarian there would be very much appreciated. Thankyou!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hi everyone! I'm wanting to adopt a stray dog from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I am from London Ontario Canada and I'm trying to find a licensed veterinarian in Punta Cana, so I can fly back to get the dog and take him to the veterinarian to get his vaccines/health certificate to come back to Canada. Any information you may have on finding a licensed veteriarian there would be very much appreciated. Thankyou!

I don't think there's one in Punta Cana. There's one on the road to Higuey (between La Otra Banda and Higuey) right in front of the Shell station, it's called La Pradera and there's another one on the same side of the road called Los amigos.

I have the phone numbers but cannot find it right now. Make a search in the forums you'll find it it has been discussed before.