Nursing opportunities

AliBali

Jul 27, 2008
Hi there! Im hoping to move to the Dominican next year sometime. I am currently a registered nurse in the United Kingdom, and would love to continue nursing in the DR.

Can anyone tell me the best places to contact to try and find a job or even get in discussions? I have been told by someone over there that they best companies to get in touch with will be the private healthcare companies but i am even having trouble tracking some of these down?

Also is there any board of nurses or regulatory group for them over there i would have to register with before i can practice?

Any advice? Please? Thanks so much!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Before we move on.... It's the "Dominican Republic", only people from the UK call it "Dominican" for some strange reason :) It's like saying... "Im hoping to move to the English next year sometime...."

Moving on...

The average wage for a nurse here monthly is around RD$6,500-8,000 pesos.
That's about US$200 or 100 pound. Do you think you could live on that wage?

Basically the wage is not enough to cover what "you" would consider livable accommodation.

If I was you, I would forget about nursing here, it's not a reality for you.

AliBali

Jul 27, 2008
i used to live there and did just fine..thanks i know i can make about $15000 a year US, so ta ill move to the Dominican, (oops did i offend you?)

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
No nurse in the Dominican Republic is earning US$15,000, then again, you would have known that if you had lived here in the past. Most doctors here don't make close to that.

Next....

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I agree with Robert....it ain't happenin'

I am a nurse also and I looked into that idea when I first decided to move to the Dominican Republic. No Go! unless you want to live in a campo and eat rice and beans everyday.
Can you work in the USA?, I am changing my status to "per Diem" here which means I tell them when I want to work and then show up. The pay is good and it is going to allow me to be able to live in the DR on US pay...you can't beat that.
There are many nursing agencies in the US that do per diem and if you go to a big city like NYC you will definitely have no problem. Some of the agencies (like mine) pay a travel allowance and that helps with the plane ticket. It all comes out better.
If you work in the DR, like previously stated you will make $200 USD or less, in a month! When you can fly to the US and work 5 or 6 days straight (12 or 16 hr shifts) and even after taxes and plane ticket you are going to take home what it would take you 6 or 7 months to earn in the DR. Look into it...it makes sense, and you don't have to go all the way to NY. My recruiter told me that after I get tired of NYC, she would get me into the hospitals in Miami, which means less time on a plane and less costly tickets!!!
Just a thought
SHALENA

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I agree with Robert....it ain't happenin'

I am a nurse also and I looked into that idea when I first decided to move to the Dominican Republic. No Go! unless you want to live in a campo and eat rice and beans everyday.
Can you work in the USA?, I am changing my status to "per Diem" here which means I tell them when I want to work and then show up. The pay is good and it is going to allow me to be able to live in the DR on US pay...you can't beat that.
There are many nursing agencies in the US that do per diem and if you go to a big city like NYC you will definitely have no problem. Some of the agencies (like mine) pay a travel allowance and that helps with the plane ticket. It all comes out better.
If you work in the DR, like previously stated you will make $200 USD or less, in a month! When you can fly to the US and work 5 or 6 days straight (12 or 16 hr shifts) and even after taxes and plane ticket you are going to take home what it would take you 6 or 7 months to earn in the DR. Look into it...it makes sense, and you don't have to go all the way to NY. My recruiter told me that after I get tired of NYC, she would get me into the hospitals in Miami, which means less time on a plane and less costly tickets!!!
Just a thought
SHALENA

That sounds like a good idea SKing, many jobs pay independent contractors or temps, at least US$800 a week after taxes. Do that for a couple of months and you are set for the rest of the year. This could be a viable option for people who want to move and try and find a job in the DR. "Semi-retire" would be a good way to ease your way into a new life in the DR.

Doctors in the DR are striking all the time complaining about their low wages, so you can bet your dollar nurses are getting pennies in comparison.