short-term internet, possible in Santo Domingo?

on the road again

Jun 26, 2008
Hi y'all;
Halleluiah! We've found a three month rental in Cacicazgos, and are now hoping there might be some short term options for (preferably high-speed) internet. The apartment apparently has Aster cable (oh boy! reading through posts here leaves my sooo underwhelmed at this news) and (possibly) a phone line.

Obviously, we don't want a 2 year contract, which is what someone told me Codetel would require (assuming they could get it hooked up before the 3 months are done!). I've heard a rumour that Telecable will do short term cable AND internet. Anyone have any experience with this, or with another supplier for the short term?

Thanks for your wisdom in advance, folks!

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I have Telecable internet, contract is free of time-frame but...

If the apartment has Aster and you're going to stay there only 3 months, installing Telecable maybe too much hassle. A guy comes and either disconnects Aster or pulls an additional cable through the walls/sockets. Then when you leave everything may need to be undone. The setup itself was pretty quick, signed up in office, guy came next day (but officially they say up to 5 days or so).

I ran Aster for 2 years prior, if the speed-package is too low you can upgrade to the 512k plan over the phone very quickly. If you stay only 3 months you may experience only 1 to 3 downtimes. Telecable has quite a bit of downtime too.

on the road again

Jun 26, 2008
Thanks Planta, this is all useful info, and I hope real soon to make use of it!

Sigh. The old tenants in the apt we were going to rent suddenly decided yesterday they needed to stay for 2 more months, so we're back to the drawing board. Contract was supposed to be signed tomorrow morning. And the apt we're living in has been sold, so we're outta here mid-August...