Mail Boats?

djstone

Apr 9, 2008
I am thinking of coming to dominican republic next summer, I have been before and loved it. My question is that I heard of something called a mail boat that will transport people around the carribean islands for cheap. Does this exist?
If so what are some details about it, like how often does it come around, around how much is it, where does it go, stuff like that

well any feedback is appreciated thanks,

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Memories

Somebody has been watching the movie African Queen with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn too many times. Wouldn't it be great.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are mailboats in St Vincent and the Grenadines, but I have not heard of one here. How about the banana Boat???

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some 26 years ago my Peace Corps partner took such a trip and enjoyed it.

However, I do not think that such ship still ply the waters of the Caribbean. Sorry you were born so late...

However, if you go to Santo Domingo, go over to Mella and Company, the shipping firm, or E.T.Heinsen or any of the other firms and ask...there just might be something available on the cheap...

Hb

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I understand that there are boats running between Puerto Plata and theTurks & Caicos that carry fruits and vegetables.
Don't know if they also carry passengers. Don't know the name of the company, or the boat, that does the transporting.
Anyone have an idea on this?
For what its worth, I'd like to find out since I'd like to go to Provo on a shopping spree in the IGA store there.

Texas Bill

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Try the Abacos in the Bahamas,

From Treasure Cay, you can explore some of the finest cruising grounds available, but bring plenty of $U.S . The local ferries are inexpensive by Residents of Florida standards!

Here is a link where you can enjoy one of the best places on this Planet.
Bahamas.com \ The Abacos \ About the Islands

I have lived and fished these Islands and Treasure Cay Beach was voted in the top ten world wide destinations........until that Hurricane !

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Tex Bill...you really want to shop at the IGA in Provo?

The service you are looking for is problematic Bill. While I personally know of some folks that regularly "ply those waters" its not as easy to go that route. For example you have to "sign on"/ go on board as staff/employee of the boat, security checks, searches, and other nonsense. Once you fill out all the proper manifests and your new "crew" does not show up then it also causes issues for the captain and owners of the ship. Thats why no one wants to generally offer that service to T&C for individuals as passengers "on the cheap".

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The service you are looking for is problematic Bill. While I personally know of some folks that regularly "ply those waters" its not as easy to go that route. For example you have to "sign on"/ go on board as staff/employee of the boat, security checks, searches, and other nonsense. Once you fill out all the proper manifests and your new "crew" does not show up then it also causes issues for the captain and owners of the ship. Thats why no one wants to generally offer that service to T&C for individuals as passengers "on the cheap".
And some inspector would come along demanding a DR tours license for transporting tourists.
It's just too darn complicated for it to be worthwhile.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I understand that there are boats running between Puerto Plata and theTurks & Caicos that carry fruits and vegetables.
Don't know if they also carry passengers. Don't know the name of the company, or the boat, that does the transporting.
Anyone have an idea on this? Texas Bill

I've PMed you the name of a guy who has been sailing between PP & T&C for years with cargo & how to locate him onshore.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I am thinking of coming to dominican republic next summer, I have been before and loved it. My question is that I heard of something called a mail boat that will transport people around the carribean islands for cheap. Does this exist?
If so what are some details about it, like how often does it come around, around how much is it, where does it go, stuff like that

well any feedback is appreciated thanks,

You could google freighter cruises or similar wording - some of these aren't cheap though. More info via NY Times:
Going by freighter: a cruise of one's own - New York Times

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
The poster's question of traveling by mail boat is best applied to the Bahamas, where a passenger can indeed travel by mailboat to any of the various zones in the island nation. Mailboats visit most parts of te country at least weekly, if not more, and a passenger can ride along for a fee, of which I don't know the amount, but am guessing if fairly modest, as would e the accomodations, but the views and experience would be valuable. Nassau would be an easy place to fly into on a commercial jet, Bimini is the closest airport from the US serviced by commercial sea plane.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Mailboat is the name of Jimmy Buffett's record company.....other than that, it's a fantasy