Global Crisis and the Dominican Republic

Will the current global crisis affect the DR more or less than the crisis of 2003?

• More

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Less

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Will the current global crisis affect the DR more or less than the crisis of 2003?

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Will current global crisis affect the DR more or less than the crisis of 2003?

Could you bit a bit more ambiguous please?

Which crisis? Affect us how? And compared to what exactly in 2003?

Do you put stupid questions on a dartboard and go from there?

RHM

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The Dominican Republic does not HAVE Crisise (is that the plural of crisis?), it has MINOR INCONVENIENCES!! These are normaly handled by sitting back & waiting for something to happen which wil overcome the inconvenience (or make the inconvenience redundant)!!

What the HECK is a crisis anyway? Your definition might well differ from mine in the same way that the OED definition will be totally different to that perceived by a Dominican - Businessman OR Camposino! ~ Grahame.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Could you bit a bit more ambiguous please?

Which crisis? Affect us how? And compared to what exactly in 2003?

Do you put stupid questions on a dartboard and go from there?

RHM
Those are questions you should direct to the source of the poll:

Revista Mercado

However, in case you are not aware; there is a global financial crisis, in 2003 the DR had its own financial crisis that almost caused the economy to collapse for good. Is it hard to understand the question? In less than 24 hours after the poll was created over 10 people have voted, giving a hint that plenty of people know what the question meant. In addition to the fact that the most important business magazine in the Dominican Republic had this poll not too long ago with no problems.

Oh well, maybe its just a difference in mental quickness among different people. :cheeky:

-NALs

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oh well, maybe its just a difference in mental quickness among different people. :cheeky:-NALs

Not really, NALS. The difference is in the requirement for exactitude & specificity rather than thinking we can stab a wild guess at what is in your or Revista Mercado's mind. DR's most important business magazine, eh? Well, well, well. :cheeky: I wonder why they pose a question which compares apples to oranges? The 2003 crisis was DR specific, not global.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Looking at Revista Mercado's questions...

it would behoove one to have access to a crystal ball or two. Sorry I can't comment to an intelligent degree on this poll; brain numbed by steak and cabernet; Randall's plea for more ambiguity is puzzling though.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought the crisis was the tragic near demise of snipe herds.

We used to have snipe hunts in the Boy Scouts. You don't hear about them much anymore. I assumed they had become an endangered species.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Not really, NALS. The difference is in the requirement for exactitude & specificity rather than thinking we can stab a wild guess at what is in your or Revista Mercado's mind. DR's most important business magazine, eh? Well, well, well. :cheeky: I wonder why they pose a question which compares apples to oranges? The 2003 crisis was DR specific, not global.
Exactly, the 2003 crisis was DR specific and the current global crisis is/will affect the DR since both of its primary export markets (US and Europe) are now in crisis.

Hence the question, will the current global crisis affect the DR more or less than the crisis in 2003.

Its not asking for a prediction, or for an in depth analysis, just a simple opinion.

Hm, when I first read the poll in Revista Mercado I knew exactly what it was alluding to. Maybe for people who didn't know, they were not meant to respond to such poll.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
RHM said:
Because (for DR1ers) the source of the poll appeared to be you, Nals.
Exactly, had it been clear where the poll came from, you would had never made such comment because after all, your purpose was to criticize me. ;)

That was clear from the first post you made that I had to erase for violating one of the rules of this forum that clearly states personal attacks would not be tolerated. :paranoid:

RHM said:
Plagiarizing again? Why am I not surprised.

RHM
Who said I didn't ask for permission first?

BTW, you sure do respond a lot to my posts. Didn't you said you would never read anything I post again? It has been a few months since you said that.

Oh well, as of late, 16 people know what the poll meant.

-NALs

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Exactly, had it been clear where the poll came from, you would had never made such comment because after all, your purpose was to criticize me. ;)

That was clear from the first post you made that I had to erase for violating one of the rules of this forum that clearly states personal attacks would not be tolerated. :paranoid:

Who said I didn't ask for permission first?

BTW, you sure do respond a lot to my posts. Didn't you said you would never read anything I post again? It has been a few months since you said that.

-NALs

Somebody please tell Nals the following since I'm being very mature and won't interact with him: :)

1) If you had permission (doubtful and honestly not really that important anyway) then just post a reference or link so people can get clarification on what exactly you are trying to ask. That's what most intellectually honest people do when they use others' work. Then again, we're talking about Nals and honestly isn't exactly the first adjective that jumps into my head when I read the name.

2) 16 people have probably voted since you posted your clarification. And when you consider how many views the thread has received I don't think I'd brag about 16.

3) If Nals' brains were dynamite he wouldn't be able to blow his nose.

Have a great day!

RHM

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

-NALs
HAD to chortle a bit at your logic here NAL's - if 16 people voted & therefore knew what the poll meant then 345 who visited the thread & didn't vote DID NOT understand what the poll meant .... N'est PAR??;):ermm:

I suppose that by the smame logic the 6 million plus voters in the last Presidential elections KNEW what the position of each candidate was & KNEW what they were voting for!! Somehow I think money & a full belly got in the way of some of them ....... so how much did YOU pay those who voted?? :cheeky::cheeky: :surprised (Stats can do just SO much harm when misinterpreted!!). :surprised ~ Grahame.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
HAD to chortle a bit at your logic here NAL's - if 16 people voted & therefore knew what the poll meant then 345 who visited the thread & didn't vote DID NOT understand what the poll meant .... N'est PAR??;):ermm:

I suppose that by the smame logic the 6 million plus voters in the last Presidential elections KNEW what the position of each candidate was & KNEW what they were voting for!! Somehow I think money & a full belly got in the way of some of them ....... so how much did YOU pay those who voted?? :cheeky::cheeky: :surprised (Stats can do just SO much harm when misinterpreted!!). :surprised ~ Grahame.
Why would a person who doesn't understand a poll would vote on it? Its obvious whomever voted understood the poll, especially those 10 who voted before I responded to RHM's post. As for the people who didn't vote, the reasons could be many. Either they didn't understood the poll or the poll didn't interest them or they don't vote in polls at all or anything else. The point is that most of the people that view a poll don't vote and that's fine. Polls are not meant to get the opinion of everyone or even of a majority.

As for the number of views, they are simply that, views. You enter and view this poll 5 times and guess what? The number of views increases by 5, but all along it was you as oppose to 5 new people.

On average, within the first 24 hours of a poll being created it takes 50 to 60 views for a poll to receive 1 vote. Most polls take two to five days to have 16 votes. Some polls have been around for way longer and have yet to break 10. This poll, on the other hand, reached 10 votes in less than 24 hours, now on its third day its up to 17. Well its going to be 18 now since I'm going to vote.

Those are all good signs.

-NALs

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
On average, within the first 24 hours of a poll being created it takes 20 to 30 views for a poll to receive 1 vote. Most polls take two to three days to have 16 votes. Some polls have been around for way longer and have yet to break 10. This poll, on the other hand, reached 10 votes in less than 24 hours, now on its third day its up to 17. Well its going to be 18 now since I'm going to vote.

Those are all good signs.

-NALs

Somebody please tell Nals that....

No, these are very BAD signs. DR1 gets about...gee I don't know...let me see..oh yeah, a ****-ton more traffic than my blog and my current poll (up for less than a week so far) has over 150 votes.

You don't get votes because you ask ambiguous and ultimately useless questions.

Honestly, just accept the criticism and move on. You're always trying to put a shine on a sneaker.

RHM

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Somebody please tell Nals that....

No, these are very BAD signs. DR1 gets about...gee I don't know...let me see..oh yeah, a ****-ton more traffic than my blog and my current poll (up for less than a week so far) has over 150 votes.

You don't get votes because you ask ambiguous and ultimately useless questions.

Honestly, just accept the criticism and move on. You're always trying to put a shine on a sneaker.

RHM
They are good signs given how polls function on this website.

I've posted identical polls in another forum and guess what, I get plenty more responses. Then again, no one has a personal vendetta against me over there, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Its the same with posts I make in other forums here, the attempts by some to dissect them to the ridiculous are so outrageous. I post the same shyte elsewhere and no one tries to do such. Other people on this website post responses similar to what I would've responded and no one shred their posts.

So yes, personal vendettas could be the reason. Its not the questions of the polls, after all this poll was "a stupid question from a dartboard" until you realized it was not my poll.

The same happened in a few other polls where the originators were other members of DR1 who refused to be named and yet, people went on the rampage as if I made up the thing. In one poll, which if you search it you will see it, the originator who initially wanted to remain anonymous had to actually make it clear that she was the originator and look and behold, the criticisms of the poll ended almost immediately.

Its not the polls that people are against, its me.

Oh well, I'm not going anywhere so I've learned to cope with them since they always come from the same group of people.

-NALs

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
They are good signs given how polls function on this website.

I've posted identical polls in another forum and guess what, I get plenty more responses. Then again, no one has a personal vendetta against me over there, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Its the same with posts I make in other forums here, the attempts by some to dissect them to the ridiculous are so outrageous. I post the same shyte elsewhere and no one tries to do such. Other people on this website post responses similar to what I would've responded and no one shred their posts.

So yes, personal vendettas could be the reason. Its not the questions of the polls, after all this poll was "a stupid question from a dartboard" until you realized it was not my poll.

The same happened in a few other polls where the originators were other members of DR1 who refused to be named and yet, people went on the rampage as if I made up the thing. In one poll, which if you search it you will see it, the originator who initially wanted to remain anonymous had to actually make it clear that she was the originator and look and behold, the criticisms of the poll ended almost immediately.

-NALs

crybaby.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks!

I knew I was the reason for your higher than average participation in this thread. And to think you actually cared about the poll... :cheeky:

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ok folks, enough of the off topic chit chat.

Any other response that is not related to the poll will be deleted.

Post why you think the global crisis will affect the DR more/less than the crisis of 2003 or something along those lines.

-NALs