south africa to DR, suggested route and airline please

ronellm

Aug 8, 2008
Hi all

any suggested routes from SA to DR?

I dont mind long flights or little legroom. Cheap is best, but not the kinda airlines that are about to close down.

Thanks for your help!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There was a flight available earlier this year for US$1,175 RT -- that is Santo Domingo via Johannesburg (including taxes). It was SDQ-MAD-JNB (Santo Domingo, Madrid, Johannesburg) on Iberia.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
In the last 20 years, I don't think I ever flew twice with the same airline. A few times with SA Airways ... Check all the flights, fly into Atlanta or Miami and hop to the DR from there. (Miami DR is expensive) Otherwise fly to Panama City and hop to the DR from there. Sometimes a Brazil route works. It is a difficult route .. take some time and try a few options. I've flown cheaply with many hops .. (Tampa, NY or one of airports thereabouts, Rome, Jburg, Cape Town.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
SAA offers daily direct flights from JFK and IAD and they frequently have great deals, even "2 for ones" from time to time. (with the brief refuelling stop in Dakar).

It is worth shopping around though and comparing your options...last time I flew I discovered the taxes out of JFK were quite a bit less than out of IAD.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We have a friend in S. Africa who has visited & stayed with us a number of times. She flies to UK and then gets a 'flight only' on a charter out of UK - but she tends to stopover in UK rather than attempt it all in one go.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
You can Also Fly from Capetown or JNB with AirFrance Via Paris to either Santo Domingo or Punta Cana

Or Klm airlines from Cpt/JNB via Amsterdam to Santo domingo/Punta cana/Puerto Plata the second journey would be operated by MartinAir