Please help... English In costa rica marrying Dominican

alfa23

Aug 8, 2008
Hello everybody, I would really appreciate some help with my situation, I am a 28 year old Englishman who has been in Costa Rica for 3 years "tourist visa" but I have a small business here, I met 6 months ago a Dominican girl which I am very much in love with she has been in Costa Rica for 1 year studying we are now living together, we both plan to get married and go back to England to live the problem is: is it easier to marry in Costa Rica then apply to the UK.. as I have no stability there for 3 years but we do have $8,000 in savings, + we both have cars which we can sell to the value of $14,000 ... I have accommodation there to use with friends.. but I am not sure which is the best route to take, any one had this experience in which they can help me?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Hello everybody, I would really appreciate some help with my situation, I am a 28 year old Englishman who has been in Costa Rica for 3 years "tourist visa" but I have a small business here, I met 6 months ago a Dominican girl which I am very much in love with she has been in Costa Rica for 1 year studying we are now living together, we both plan to get married and go back to England to live the problem is: is it easier to marry in Costa Rica then apply to the UK.. as I have no stability there for 3 years but we do have $8,000 in savings, + we both have cars which we can sell to the value of $14,000 ... I have accommodation there to use with friends.. but I am not sure which is the best route to take, any one had this experience in which they can help me?

It's easy to marry in the Dominican Rep. i don't know about Costa Rica as this is the DR1 forum, you need to find a Costa Rican Forum.

Just because she's a dominican living in Costa Rica, doesn't mean that we know the law of Costa Rica about marriage.

alfa23

Aug 8, 2008
she lives in the dominican republic but studies in costa rica.. shouldn't really matter too much, the answer I need is.. as I have no status in the UK, and no employment in the uk, but we have savings as mentioned above, is it easier to get married in the UK., or best to marry outside the uk, or does anybody have any previous experience, also there are no Costa Rica boards like this around, but as all applications are now made in new york, I would think the process is them same,

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
What does she say? Probably she would like to marry in the DR. Getting married here, though, is costly, so if you will be going to NY, consider NY -- as middle ground -- because it would be cheapest there.

On the other hand, you should be checking UK migration sites, if you want to move back to UK with her. They would be the ones to tell you where or when it would be convenient to marry.

alfa23

Aug 8, 2008
Thanks for the reply, but dolores we will get married either in costa rica or the UK... why would it be costly in the DR? I would have thought the abogado cost would be the same, here it is around $150... it then takes 6 weeks for the certificate, and we are looking around $1000 uk visa fee's which go to the goverment, the question is.. has anybody lived got married for instance, In the dominican republic, after living there lets say 3 years, has no status in the UK... and had success based on their savings alone? we have spent every day together since day one, So I couldnt come back to the uk alone for 6 months alone... just to get a good status,,, talvez algien conoces dominicana's quien pasa igual con un extranjero?? gracias por el ayuda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you want to take her to Uk as your wife.....

1. You need to be living there
2. You need to have a job there
3. You need to have rented or owned accommodation
4. You need to prove you can support her

I am married to a Dominican. We married here. If we wanted to move to Uk I would have to go there first and reestablish myslef there and then he could apply for a Uk residency visa. For him to get that I would have to have a job and housing in UK, and we would have to prove we married for love ie emails, phone records, pictures of wedding etc. Most people I know who have done that have had no problem.

For a tourist visa - for her to visit UK it is different. Then you need to prove she will come back to DR ie she needs a job here, ties here etc. Hope that makes sense.

If you need to know more then pm me

Matilda

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Thanks for the reply, but dolores we will get married either in costa rica or the UK... why would it be costly in the DR? I would have thought the abogado cost would be the same, here it is around $150...

The fee just to the Civil Registry (JCE) alone is RD$5,000 for marrying at the Civil Registry Office (more if you marry outside the office), that not including the extras to then get the certification, translation, etc. Figure about RD$10,000, so about US$300, and that without a lawyer involved. Compare that to marrying in NY, which I believe is around US$60. http://www.jce.do/web/NOSOTROS/ServiciosPagados/tabid/505/Default.aspx

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Getting married in Costa Rica requires that you both get your necessary documentation all together prior to applying for a marriage license. Make sure you give yourselves plenty of time prior to your Costa Rica wedding date.
Requirements may vary as each area in Costa Rica could have their own requirements

A Costa Rican identity card ("C?dula de Identidad") and a Certificate of Single Status issued by the Civil Registry.

Additionally, you must present this information one month prior to your wedding: name, profession, passport numbers, foreign address, birth date, place of birth, nationality, father's full name, mother's full maiden name, parents' address, original copy of passport.

if you are not a Costa Rican you must have the following documents: A passport valid for at least six months, a certified copy of your birth certificate, a certified copy of your police record, an Affidavit of Single Status.

Previous Marriages:
If the bride has been previously married, she must wait 300 days after her divorce or the death of her husband before she can remarry.
An official copy of the divorce decree or of the death certificate must be presented also. This requirement may be waived if she can prove that she is not pregnant before the marriage ceremony.

Other Tests:
According to some websites, women must take a pregnancy test. This is administered by the Supreme Court of Costa Rica at the Forensic Medicine Office (Medicatura Forense de la Corte Suprema de Justicia) in San Joaquin de Flores in Heredia, Costa Rica. Their telephone number is 506-295-3000. If the pregnancy test is negative, there is no waiting period.

You need two witnesses at your wedding.
Family relatives up to the third degree cannot be your witnesses. That means that your best bet is to choose friends or strangers for your witnesses!

Best of Luck!!