Nombre cientifico de la Pera

Granrey

Aug 10, 2008
Hola,

Estoy tratando de indentificar el nombre cientifico de la Pera que que crece en la zona del cibao.

En el campo de mis abuelos (Cavia, Puerto Plata), la fruta existe pero no puedo relacionar esta fruta con apples, Cherries or pears. This fruit in apperance looks like a plum but it has several seeds.

When the fruit matures it get some brown spots.

Does anyone know which fruit I'm talking about?

Granrey

Aug 10, 2008
I found a pic on the internet

DR Pera

The autor says is called: "pyrus communis" but when I do a search I find different fruit.

It could be a mistake

Granrey

Aug 10, 2008
No, it's not mangosteen. I hope somebody knows. I have spoken with several people from central america and they have not seen this fruit

S

sokitoumi

when you say its like a plum - do you mean the inside, outside shape or colour or all of them - I think of a plum as being purple but the picture shows a small green thing

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Fruit is in Canada

Good Morning,

I'm almost positive that I've seen that fruit at Highland Farms Supermarket.
They carry the hard to find products and I'm there almost every day. If you have one close by, check them out.
Have a nice Day!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks everybody but somebody already told me the name. "Casimiroa Edulis" It's also called: Zapote blanco.

I wish I could find this fruit in Canada. LOL This fruit is one of my favorites.

White Sapote - Casimiroa edulis

Glad you located it! I don't think I've seen that zapote here in DR - the one I'm more familiar with has a brown skin, red flesh & a large polished seed which looks like a piece of mahogany.
Mamey on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Granrey

Aug 10, 2008
Glad you located it! I don't think I've seen that zapote here in DR - the one I'm more familiar with has a brown skin, red flesh & a large polished seed which looks like a piece of mahogany.
Mamey on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This fruit is not common in DR. I think is only found in the Cibao region. My family is from Cavia, Puerto Plata. I was born and raised in Sto. Dgo. City.

When I was a kid, I would go every summer vacation to my grand parent's house.

When I first tried this fruit I was about 4 years old and my grand mother (God has her in heaven) gave me to try it. I was skeptical but I tried and I like it so much that every time I was going to her house, she would make sure there was a container full of it waiting for me.

I would mention about the fruit to my friends in the city and they would all say that they have not seen it and that pears do not grow in DR. LOL

Granrey

Aug 10, 2008
Good Morning,

I'm almost positive that I've seen that fruit at Highland Farms Supermarket.
They carry the hard to find products and I'm there almost every day. If you have one close by, check them out.
Have a nice Day!

They don't have and store in Edmonton.
:-(

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I found a pic on the internet

DR Pera

The autor says is called: "pyrus communis" but when I do a search I find different fruit.

It could be a mistake
Not common in the DR, but we had a tree of this Dominican pear in our backyard in Angelina, San Pedro de Macor?s. A handfull of people care for this fruit - the pulp is very mushy.
Few years ago, while in Los Angeles, California, I came across this tree in a park in West Hollywood. The park keeper told me that someone from Central America had planted the tree. The fruit was of better quality (firmer pulp).