Visitor's Visa for Baby's birth......Canada Immigration

Santos

Aug 10, 2008
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Like a lot of you, I started the paperwork to get my husband to Canada (end of May). I'm thinking he probably won't get his PR status by mid November, which is when I'm due to give birth. Just wondering if anyone has any experience applying for a Visa under the same circumstances. What was the outcome and which documents were sent in? I've got a letter from the doctor, plus the letter of invitation and bank stuff, but we want to do the best job possible. Any info would help a lot.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to DR1 Santos,
I'm afraid that once you have your application in for a PR they are not even going to look at a visitor visa for your husband. There is no special treatment for those that want to get here in time for a birth. At least non that we've heard of lately.

Make sure your application is filled out perfectly and have lots of copies of everything you send in.

Good luck

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I know someone who just tried to get a Visitor's visa for her husband to be there for the birth of their child and he was denied. Reson given - because they had their papers in process for Permanent Residency.

She gave birth 6 months ago and he was not there. Sorry for the bad news.

Jinimai

Jan 21, 2008
Hello, I am 8 months pregnant and am sure my husband won't receive his P.R. before our baby is born. If I went to D.R. and gave birth to our baby, what would the procedure be to bring my baby back to Canada? Would it be as difficult to get my baby to Canada as getting my husband here?
Thanx, Jeannie

sherri

Jan 25, 2006

You will need to get a passport application for a child at the Consulate in Santo Domingo. Fill it out, get his photos taken, translate his birth certificate, get it legalized at the forgien affairs office. It will take approx 6 months for him to recieve his canadian Citizenship. If you call the office they will let you know exactly what you need to do. Ask your husband to call since hes here in D.R.

I honestly thought about having my son here but to be honest with all the hassle and not to mention the cost..they always want to do c-sections since there is more money involved. Aprox 70,000 pesos i was told i needed to pay. I know how it feels to go through the pain of labor without my husband but in the long run its better to have the baby there. I had my son on October 13, 08 and i was back in D.R october 31. So he didnt miss a whole lot. Now were together and awaiting his P.R. Its a whole lot easier to be living together and waiting...

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jinimai

Jan 21, 2008
Thanks for sharing...you have just confirmed what I expected I'd need to do if I had my baby in the D.R....and congrats on your baby! Enjoy ;-)