shipping to Santiago

Tika

Mar 19, 2007
I need some ideas concerning shipping items from the US to Santiago. In the past, I have used the USPS service to get small items here from the US and have had no problems in obtaining the packages from the post office downtown. While this is ideal for small items, I am now trying to figure out how to get something a bit larger here (a crib specifically). I dont want to pay an arm and a leg and would do so if I used USPS....

Anyone have any alternate shipping ideas/suggestions/experience?

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
Where in the US are you? I know up here in Washington Heights, there are a million and one companies that specialize in shipping things to DR and back.

Tika

Mar 19, 2007
So not in NYC, Kansas actually. There is a lack of shipping co's to the DR there, in fact, a lack of international shipping choices in general!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
when we bought our crib about a year ago i investigated shipping one down and when all was said and done even the cheapestcrib from walmart would have cost about $500. so i went to every store in santiago that sells cribs and we found a beautiful, convertible style crib (the ones that change from crib, to toddler bed to daybed to full size bed) for only 14,000 PESOS. About $400. And it's much better quality than what we would have been able to afford to have shipped.

a friend of ours also just had a crib made. it's gorgeous, meets safety standards... i think it's oak (i know its not mahogany and it's not pine. Roble. that's oak, right?) and it only cost her about $300.

so maybe instead of shipping, look into getting the crib here.

Tika

Mar 19, 2007
I fear that shipping would end up being more than the most expensive crib I could find locally. I think we might look into getting one made locally although our daughter is already here and growing, she's just been sleeping in her pack n' play for the past few months.

Do you know where your friend had hers made?

LAgotOld

Mar 17, 2007
So not in NYC, Kansas actually. There is a lack of shipping co's to the DR there, in fact, a lack of international shipping choices in general!

I shipped stuff from Los Angeles to the Santiago using amerijet. It was preety expensive e since I shipped a lot of stuff and the customs people here really put their hand up your tail also but the service was pretty good.

They shipped it right to the airport.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Could anyone give me an idea of who to contact to ship a "container load" of household goods from Santiago to either a Florida East or West Coast destination.
Maybe Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or Tampa.

We're planning, at this point, of going back to the States andliving in Florida; probably around Ocala, FL.

Texas Bill