Information about imports

Sunwise

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2008
Hi, I am actually thinking about openning a mini market in RD and I wonder where on internet I can find informations about importations (wine, fruits, cheeses and...). I need to budget everything so I can know the incomes and outcomes... and this is the hardest part. For example, for the wine part, do I need to go throught a government organisation? If someone knows a good web site where I can find everything, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks

newyorkcityboy

Feb 2, 2007
can you say DREAMER unless you speek spanish you are in for a tuff ride. GOOD LUCK. THERE ARE MINI MARKETS IN EVERY CORNER IN THE DOM.REP. TRY TO FIND ANOTHER BUISNESS. A FREINDLY ADVICE.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi, I am actually thinking about openning a mini market in RD and I wonder where on internet I can find informations about importations (wine, fruits, cheeses and...). I need to budget everything so I can know the incomes and outcomes... and this is the hardest part. For example, for the wine part, do I need to go throught a government organisation? If someone knows a good web site where I can find everything, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Importing goods into this country amounts to a costly nightmare.
Nobody with a mini market does that.
They buy the imported goods from local distributors.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have a mini market. I buy everything from the warehouse. No need to import anything!!!!

Matilda

Sunwise

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2008
In fact, right now, I am looking for every possibilities... You can buy from others and be charged a percentage, or you can be different and manage to import better product at your cost. I know that if you buy big, you save... Here, where I work, we buy big... and I know the price we pay for each bottle... If we have the number, we can get a good price. The hardest is to find the transportation, but once again, if you are 50 markets in association, you can make better deals ...

I do wonder... Are there any agencies of wine in RD?

Sunwise

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2008
And yes, I know about all the markets... And I don't think I will be lying on gold. But it's just a beginning. I don't want to make money with it, just test the market and don't loose money.

The fact is that with all those immigrants from everywhere... you already have new needs in RD. The baby boomers of all around just start to retire and they are coming... That's why you will never see the prices for condos or houses go down in RD, whatever happens in USA. Where I live, 40% percent of the population is going to retire between 2009-2015. Believe me, that's a lot of people! A lot of people with good retirement plans, a lot of people with money to spend... And best of all, people that want to find their customs everywhere they go... since old people don't like to change... The RD is probably the better place to invest... because a lot is still missing.

Escalada

Aug 24, 2008
A high end market would do well

A high end market would do well in a place like Cabarete. We need one!

Sunwise

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2008
agencies of wine

The problem right now is still with the high cost of importations... if you pay a lot of money to buy your stock, you will need to sale at a price that just a few people can afford... and if you don't sale your stock, you loose money. You need a good rotation, you need your stock to get out so other new stock can get in...

Why a big store with a good brand name can go far? They have the power to buy a lot of stock and with it comes the power to negociate... the seller don't make as much profit as with the small shops but have the insurance that he will sale...and not loose.

So, to come back with my question, is there any agencies of wines in RD which can actually provide the possibility to buy big? If an agency succeed in having 50-60 stores as clients, they get a power to deal for the prices... And even with a 10% charged, everybody wins in the transaction.

Am I so ignorant of RD or everybody just buy what they need without considering to associate with others stores? If you can't buy the big brand name of a company, you crate your own...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
can you say DREAMER unless you speek spanish you are in for a tuff ride. GOOD LUCK. THERE ARE MINI MARKETS IN EVERY CORNER IN THE DOM.REP. TRY TO FIND ANOTHER BUISNESS. A FREINDLY ADVICE.

We New Yorkers think alike!!!!!

barbara.w.

Zapped
May 15, 2008
Market Study

... is there any agencies of wines in RD which can actually provide the possibility to buy big?
The wholesalers here can get you all the wine you want.
From Chile, Argentina, Italy, France,... you name it.

But first do a market research.
Go to the wine section of the big supermarkets here (La Sirena, Carrefour, Nacion?l, etc) and then find out what percentage of the Dominican population drinks wine...
Have you ever been in the DR?

Sunwise

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2008
wine

I go to DR every month... And I know now a lot of people over there.
And I don't need dominicans to buy my wine... Even if I KNOW that in Santo Domingo, a part of the population is now becoming more and more "fine bouche" and they DO drink good wines. The influence of immigration...
The fact is that where I will be, 30% of the population is already from an other country, and a contractor is now developping two big projects of condos. So, I don't need Dominicans...
And surprise! At this place, there are no other stores in less than 15 minutes of walk, and its a crap... If you want a good store, you need your car or the bus and drive 10 minutes away.

So be carefull before saying things! I may not know all of DR but I know enough about business to do a good study before opening... I know what dominicans want (a lot more than you can think...), but my store will not be just for them, What I want, it's those immigrants... And other funny thing, at this place, there are 2 very nice and expensive retaurants... Hol?l?! I am sure those restaurants are for locals... ;)