Fire in Puerto Plata

kenrobb

Jul 30, 2003
As read in the news from the report...

11. Fire in Puerto Plata
A fire in the Playa Dorada section of Puerto Plata burned down 58 small arts and crafts vendor shops causing an estimated RD$100 million in damages. An electric short circuit is being blamed for the fire, according to Hoy. The goods nor the stores were insured. Manuel Sanchez, president of the Playa Dorada Vendors Association says that many of the vendors had recently invested in improvements in the stores. Sanchez says that 105 families directly benefited from the businesses and are now left with nothing.

Question: Is this the Orange Market at the end of the Playa Dorado Beach or another area?
I have a few great friends in this Orange market and have concerns for all of them
Thanks
Ken

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
"58 small arts and crafts vendor shops causing an estimated RD$100 million in damages. "

At my calculation thats almost 50,000 U.S. dollars per store. When you determine that practically 100% of that would be Hatian crafts and art you come to the realization that these 58 vendors represent almost the total GNP of Haiti. I think Haiti is in big trouble now...................

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
"58 small arts and crafts vendor shops causing an estimated RD$100 million in damages. "

At my calculation thats almost 50,000 U.S. dollars per store. When you determine that practically 100% of that would be Hatian crafts and art you come to the realization that these 58 vendors represent almost the total GNP of Haiti. I think Haiti is in big trouble now...................
Perhaps RD$100 million was a slight exaggeration.
$50K US is each owner's dream selling price, if they can find a sucker.
Real Value? $5K US apiece?

Still a very sad event and it will also hurt those who consign goods into those shops.

kenrobb

Jul 30, 2003
Update

Update: I spoke with a friend who owns a small shop in the Orange Market and he told me tonight that the fire was the next set of shops toward the Costa Beach at the Blue huts with all 50+ shops destroyed.
Rocky is correct as they all value their shops at app. $50kUS Each as I remember
Thanks for everyones comments tonight
Ken

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Pictures tell the whole story..............

......of what fire can do to a bunch of shops that share a palm thatch roof. The "association" of shops place all that inventory into a space that has not been treated with any fire retardant materials. $ 50,000 dollars per space with a 100 dollar "per space" thatch roof (which is actually the only way fire could have spread through the entire building complex). They will "power spray" out the block rooms now (which are not damaged), add new framing to the roof line, add new thatch (guys are likely out there right now getting it ready right now)....and then before you know it, it will look as though know even happened there....to the point that likely the thatch will be exactly the same and there will not be any fire retardant or other fire inhibator used for the next roof reconstruction. These people have been devestated - likely not one of them responsible in any way for what happened - but they will all set themselves up for potential failure again for this is the risk you take whenever you are situated in this type of construction.