I'm bored in NC.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'ved been here in Raleigh for three month and I don't find the way to make friends. all my naighbors are working or closed into their houses my coworker are blacks, they have a very different customs a very different language and I feel that they are not friendly with the hispanic inmigrants.
Meabe this is not a good city for dominicans, my wife took the desition to come here I was thinking in NY. where I have more than three hundred friends and many cousins.
I don't like this kind of life, if things don't change soon my wife will have to stay here by her self.

JJ.

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
I have stayed in N.C , other than the people I stayed with I did not meet many people , a lot of the reason being N.C is a large state , very spacious but houses very far apart , unlike U.K where you pop next door for a cup of tea

slug

Oct 13, 2005
Another problem is that people in the U S are so stressed out and miserable. All governments are are oppressive. They don't have the time and/or are not in the mood to be neighborly. That's why I moved to the DR from the US. There are other reasons, of coarse.........Good Luck

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
(Another problem is that people in the U S are so stressed out and miserable. All governments are are oppressive. They don't have the time and/or are not in the mood to be neighborly. That's why I moved to the DR from the US. There are other reasons, of coarse.........Good Luck)

Slug, perhaps you should just speak for yourself since what you are saying is generally not true. I happen to live in the U.S. and do not concurr with your statement.

JJ, The blacks resent the hispanics because they are afraid the hispanics will take away all of their jobs. Give it a little time and you will find that there are plenty of friendly people around, both at work and in your neighborhood. You will eventually have your own circle of friends.

And Slug, what does the government have to do with people being or not being friendly? Government is not the issue here. And as far as the U.S. government being oppressive, it's only oppressing when you break the law.

Juniper

Last edited:

NCScott

Jun 2, 2006
spaces.msn.com
Life in North Carolina

I have lived in North Carolina my entire life, and my family has been here in NC for many generations. My wife lived in Santo Domingo until she moved here about five years ago. We have experienced a lot of the same problems that you are now going through as we have tried to get her adjusted to life in a new culture. The key for her was finding other Dominicans in the area. It seems that everyone has the same problems in the beginning when they move here from more centralized Dominican populations, so they seem to embrace newcomers and be eager to help them to acclimate.

I would suggest going to Compare Food supermarket, which seems to be a hub of the Dominican community here, and I think is still owned by Dominicans. Talk to the manager or owner about who is Dominican working there and what types of events are coming up soon. Ambis 1 in Raleigh is Dominican owned and is a nice nightclub. Big musicians come to Raleigh and Durham area from the DR occasionally. We saw Los Toros Band at Fuego Fuego a couple of years ago. My wife got to get on stage and dance with el Torito! That could never happen in NY or the DR.

We live in Sanford (about an hour South of Raleigh) and also have a Compare Foods. There is a Dominican restaurant downtown here also (as mentioned in another thread) called El Rancho, they have a concert or Karaoke once each month. Almost all the Dominicans and a lot of Puerto Ricans in the area go. El Rancho Caribbean Restaurant - Events .The owner and his family are good friends of ours. His brother owns a bail bonding service here in town as well.

In Fuquay Varina (more near to Raleigh) we have Dominican friends who have a business that ships boxes to DR. We have shipped two in the last few weeks through her, and she also has business that help people with immigration, translations, etc, as well as a travel agency.

Give it some time and try to do some networking before you give up and move. I think that you are right about people being focused on work and that they don't seem Very friendly, but if you can get to know just a few, they can get you connected with the rest!

PM if you would like more specific or additional information.

Reactions: rellosk

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I'ved been here in Raleigh for three month and I don't find the way to make friends. all my naighbors are working or closed into their houses my coworker are blacks, they have a very different customs a very different language and I feel that they are not friendly with the hispanic inmigrants.
Meabe this is not a good city for dominicans, my wife took the desition to come here I was thinking in NY. where I have more than three hundred friends and many cousins.
I don't like this kind of life, if things don't change soon my wife will have to stay here by her self.

JJ.

Sourthern hospitality :cheeky: Welcome to the South, but like some posters said, it will take time, when i say time, it means years to find friends.

What i had found out in my 7 yrs living here in the South (Atlanta, GA) is that, Americans adhere to the "i'm independent don't need friends or family mentally".

It will be hard to find friends, and good friends even harder as people here are more focus on their jobs (overtime work, second and third jobs) to pay for things they can't afford or need. They don't care about quality time with families members or friends.

All the people from other nationalities, have the same complain, that it's too hard to find friends and they feel lonely here.

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008

JJ.

I know how you feel. It's very difficult to move to a place where you have no family and friends. I hope things improve for you.

I personally hate where I live also. It's extremely boring and generic. The U.S. has become so generic and cookie cutter. Almost every where you go, outside of the major metropolitan areas, all you see are the same strip malls with the same crappy chain restaurants and the same cookie cutter houses :sleep:

I would love to be back in NYC. There is so much to do and there are so many different types of cultures to enjoy.

Why did your wife choose NC? Is she originally from there?

S

sokitoumi

I find joining a gym or sports club is a good way to get to know people in the short term- excercise also help with depression , which you may be feeling without realising it

Reactions: Lapurr

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I know how you feel. It's very difficult to move to a place where you have no family and friends. I hope things improve for you.

I personally hate where I live also. It's extremely boring and generic. The U.S. has become so generic and cookie cutter. Almost every where you go, outside of the major metropolitan areas, all you see are the same strip malls with the same crappy chain restaurants and the same cookie cutter houses :sleep:

I would love to be back in NYC. There is so much to do and there are so many different types of cultures to enjoy.

Why did your wife choose NC? Is she originally from there?

My wife is Dominican raised in New jersey, but she don't want to go back to NJ. becouse she is looking for a quite and decent place to raise our baby and she hate the cold weather.
But meabe I'll find some friends in a couple of weeks when we move to a different naighborhood where more hispanics live, my big problem now is that I'm living in a very quite naighborhood where I don't see any people in the streets, yesterday I spent all the afternoom in clubhouse infront the computer and nobody else came in.
Here we have two pools, a basket ball and a tennis court a jim a clubhouse and you never see any people playing.
I'ved been asking my self where is the people who live here.

JJ.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
as a north carolina native who has lived all over the state(raleigh for 6 yrs 1981-1986) i can honestly say raleigh is my least favorite city in the state. i dislike most large cities but raleigh residents seem to be more uptight. try venturing out to smaller suburbs as another suggested and i think people will be more friendly. and the invitation for a beach visit is still open :) just before you posted my wife and i saw an advertisement for a bachata dance class near us and were thinking we may join so to show off our moves when in the DR in november. maybe the bachata king and queen could show up for a performance?? hang in there jj... friends are like girlfriends and boyfriends when you search for them thay never materialize and then just when and where you least expect it the offers come from all places. good luck to you on the move and best wishes for you and the family

malikp

Aug 30, 2008
tell u right now son its not gonna get better. You need to move out as fast as u can before u get stuck. Ive lived in raleigh since 1996 and i absolutely hate it. You will die in raleigh bored and with nothing to show for in ur life. Im moving to DR in march and I cannot wait. you can go to major league dominican barbershop if u want its ALL dominican and PR rarely does another race go in there.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
tell u right now son its not gonna get better. You need to move out as fast as u can before u get stuck. Ive lived in raleigh since 1996 and i absolutely hate it. You will die in raleigh bored and with nothing to show for in ur life. Im moving to DR in march and I cannot wait. you can go to major league dominican barbershop if u want its ALL dominican and PR rarely does another race go in there.

I cuold never imagine that this town will be so different than the towns I'm used to. In the DR. Here if you are going for shopping you have to drive in a different direction " to the green forest ", becouse in the downtown it is nothing to see than big office and condominiun building and some restaurants and three hotels. Past week one lady from N.J. parked her car in the parking deck where I'm working and she asked me, where is the downtown raleigh? I told her we are in the the downtown!!! and she asked me again where are the people and the stores?
I'm a taxi driver, I came here with the idea in my mind to start driving a cab but after I contacted some of the radio taxi dispacher. I notice this people are no doing good business, the oldest comp. with 24 years in the market only have 12 cars and you can see the drivers sleeping in the cars all day long. My big question is. How all those big stores and super markets can stay open and they don't go to bankrote? I think that La Sirena in Santiago have more custumers in one day than the biggest one here in one week.

JJ.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Listen, man. Put your food down and tell your Mrs. you want to move to Da Heights. We'll welcome you with open arms.. Lots of Presidente, Chicarrones, ladies and anything else you're missing, unless you have been whipped.;)

GOPpartypros

Apr 22, 2008
www.GOPpartypros.com
Amigos..? Friends..? in Raleigh,NC..??

I cuold never imagine that this town will be so different than the towns I'm used to. In the DR. Here if you are going for shopping you have to drive in a different direction " to the green forest ", becouse in the downtown it is nothing to see than big office and condominiun building and some restaurants and three hotels. Past week one lady from N.J. parked her car in the parking deck where I'm working and she asked me, where is the downtown raleigh? I told her we are in the the downtown!!! and she asked me again where are the people and the stores?
I'm a taxi driver, I came here with the idea in my mind to start driving a cab but after I contacted some of the radio taxi dispacher. I notice this people are no doing good business, the oldest comp. with 24 years in the market only have 12 cars and you can see the drivers sleeping in the cars all day long. My big question is. How all those big stores and super markets can stay open and they don't go to bankrote? I think that La Sirena in Santiago have more custumers in one day than the biggest one here in one week.

JJ.

Chamaco, JJ

Los amigos llegan pero hay que buscarlos in NC...LOL.. estan metidos en clubs y tiendas..

I've been in NC for 3 yrs now.. came down from Long Island ,NY because of rediculous expenses in NY.. My utility bills were more than my mortgage.!! :confused: but now i have a Mobile DJ company i run on the weekends only & i get to move around different parts of NC and find the Dominicans in the oddest places..LOL.. some in Mexican Quinceaneras..?:surprised some in Mexican bars..? :surprised LOL.. so don't worry.. Dominicanos Hay, solo hay que buscarlos..LOL.. my family are Dominican and i try to keep them updated all the time with my findings..LOL..

So Chamaco cojelo suave " Y CUAL ES LA VAINA " aqui estamos para ayudarte.. ;)

si quieres mas info vete aqui para mis encuentros para todos.
LINK: Dominican Businesses

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Chamaco, JJ

Los amigos llegan pero hay que buscarlos in NC...LOL.. estan metidos en clubs y tiendas..

I've been in NC for 3 yrs now.. came down from Long Island ,NY because of rediculous expenses in NY.. My utility bills were more than my mortgage.!! :confused: but now i have a Mobile DJ company i run on the weekends only & i get to move around different parts of NC and find the Dominicans in the oddest places..LOL.. some in Mexican Quinceaneras..?:surprised some in Mexican bars..? :surprised LOL.. so don't worry.. Dominicanos Hay, solo hay que buscarlos..LOL.. my family are Dominican and i try to keep them updated all the time with my findings..LOL..

So Chamaco cojelo suave " Y CUAL ES LA VAINA " aqui estamos para ayudarte.. ;)

si quieres mas info vete aqui para mis encuentros para todos.
LINK: Dominican Businesses

Hey Chamaco, after seven months here in Raleigh I'm doing better. Now I?m well informed about where to find any thing I need and how to go anywhere, also I know how to drive to Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Wake Forest & many other places in the state of Wake County. Stores and restaurants are my hobby now, but bars and discos is not for me, the money I?m making here in the US is enough just for my mortgage. I?m doing a big efort to learn more English; I only speak Spanish at home with my wife and my baby girl. I?ve been meeting some Dominican, they are taxi drivers, and all of them are frequently making turns in the parking of the Hispanic super market located at the Atlantic Avenue, some time I stay talking with them for hours when I am not busy, the owner of the radio dispatcher is a young Dominican guy from la Vega and he told me that when I decide to start driving a taxi he will be open for me. I?ve been meeting some Mexican too, the Thanksgiving Day we were invited for a Mexican family and we had a great time all together eating the turkey and drinking beers.

Have great holidays Chamaco?

JJ.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
And it's showing, JJ. The difference in your sentence construction between this post & the last one three months ago, is noticeable. Keep up the good work! :)

Thank you!!!!
Yes sentences construction is my headache, I never could imagine that English and Spanish where so different, some time is so hard to express my self that I have to repeat the same sentence two or three time using the same words in a different order so that other other people can get the meaning of my conversation.
I have a hard time every day writing a daily report that I send to the office informing of any situation with the computer system or with the customers during my shift.

JJ