weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichola

Aug 19, 2008
hi can anyone help me? Im due to fly out and stay in the Bahia Principe in Rio San Juan on September 2nd but I've heard terrible reports about the weather such as flooding,storms etc.. is it really this bad? thanks

Caz

May 15, 2004
Nichola - here on the north coast we have had no problems whatsoever so I don't know what you mean! Unless you are referring to TS Fay which caused rain on the south and east of the island - but this island is BIG and Rio San Juan is far away from the bad weather you seem to have heard of. Stop worrying and enjoy your holiday.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I heard Sept. 2nds' weather will be terrible! Enjoy.

Sollie

When was the last time the weather man knew anything that far in advance. You are worrying for nothing, as you can't change it anyways. You will have a great holiday

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
never had any problemes for the past 30 years

Hurricane always come from the south of hispagnola,in the atlantic . 40 years ago we had a bad year "level3 hurricane and rain for a solide 6 weeks" my grand parents use to tell me of ,their time about a hurricane that came from the north and destroyed all the small town from the north of the island"Sosua did not existed than"
North of hispagnola is one of the safest place in the caraibean ,because all the nothern costal towns are protected by moutains witch always reduce the wind speed by the time it get to the coast, but not to say that the north is full proof! safer there than Miami!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ben Oregon: That is pure bull shyte!! the worst hurricane in the last 47 years was David in August of 79. And it did nothing to the North Coast, anywhere!!

Don't you people see those old houses in Gaspar hernandez, Puerto Plata and Sosua????
they are Wood fer crissakes!!! Wood the wolf could blow down...

My house in Punta Rucia is over 45 years old and still there!!

Gimme a break....

HB

Reactions: FernieBee

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My house in Punta Rucia is over 45 years old and still there!! HB

Our old wooden house in the centre of Puerto Plata is 101 years old & still there. I suspect Ben's grandparents are talking about the earthquake of 1946 was it? & the tsunami which destroyed Matanzas near Nagua. Unless they were thinking of hurricane Inez in 1966. But that went to Barahona in the south west.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
To the OP - you should be fine in September. Bring a small umbrella as it is normal to get late afternoon showers that help dissipate some humidity, they usually don't last long. If there is a storm out there it won't effect us much on the north coast. If one comes close then expect a couple of days of rain but that is not too bad. It is not likely you will have any problems. Do bring mosquito repellent and sun screen - those you will need!

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
don't talk about things you do not know?

i might be wrong about some dates! when huricane hit the island 'you should get off your behind and visit the surounding country side specially in the haitian side where the house are made from mud and built in down slops from rivers. north coastal town are not just P-O-P ,Cabarete.. and else. There are plenty of other village with thousands of people who just vanished but whos counting haitian death? defenetly not you!
No major hurricane hit the north of the island in very ,very long time at least for the past 30 years.
But around that time +/- i leave one of them where we had more than 4000 death under the Duvalier regime" papa Doc! we also had a massive earth quake after' so please keep your mouth shut and listen well of things you can not learn from the news, because at that time when the dictature regime was at his pic no foreing news paper was allowed in the haitian side where most of the destruction happened .Don't base your education from the internet or it will be a shallow one so get out more often and talk to the elderly from the island and you might learn something

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
i might be wrong about some dates! when huricane hit the island 'you should get off your behind and visit the surounding country side specially in the haitian side where the house are made from mud and built in down slops from rivers. north coastal town are not just P-O-P ,Cabarete.. and else. There are plenty of other village with thousands of people who just vanished but whos counting haitian death? defenetly not you!
No major hurricane hit the north of the island in very ,very long time at least for the past 30 years.
But around that time +/- i leave one of them where we had more than 4000 death under the Duvalier regime" papa Doc! we also had a massive earth quake after' so please keep your mouth shut and listen well of things you can not learn from the news, because at that time when the dictature regime was at his pic no foreing news paper was allowed in the haitian side where most of the destruction happened .Don't base your education from the internet or it will be a shallow one so get out more often and talk to the elderly from the island and you might learn something

I am unsure to whom you were referring with your very rude response....

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think he was referring to HB's reply which was ok because Ben is not clear and concise.
If he WAS referring to Hillbilly's reply then he should certainly check out that persons profile before making such unwarranted attacks. HB has LIVED here in the DR for over 40 years & is well aware of ALL hurricanes that have visited the north coast of the DR area. ANY one that has caused any damage to the north coast of the DR ....... HE HAS LIVED THROUGH!!!

Ben obviously does not realise that HB's rump RARELY sits down for more than an hour (maybe two) because he is in such demand because of his knowledge of THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. I would hazard a guess though that if any hurricane during the last 50 years had a serious affect on Haiti, that because the DR is so close TO Haiti (like attached by the same border!) that he would know about that too.

In a nutshell Ben ................ you owe the 'Old Boy' an apology because you are in error about him in so many ways! IF your statement had been more 'COUNTRY specific', maybe the response you got would have been more informative for you!! Perhaps you should be concentrating your time & efforts on to a Haiti1.com??:cheeky:?:ermm:? ~ Grahame.

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
not a ****ing contest?my appologies to all?

it was to the dude who started his statement with the world "Bull sheit?" Mabe he got me at the wrong time but he sat me to a bad mood.
My appologies to the rest of the bloggers.
I don't want to enter a ****ing contest with no one , just want to share in a civil matter our opinions on what we think we know and help others to the best of our abilities.
No one here is applying for a job or campaigne for political offices.So let's be nice and honnest to each other.
THAN AGAIN YOU ALL ACCEPT MY APPOLOGIES FOR MY RUDNESS ,NOT INTENDED.

aross

Nov 15, 2007

As a young child living close to Toronto I remember cowering in a corner of a room as this storm came through. The wind, lightning and thunder shook our house and scared the heck out of everyone. The devastation and flooding were unbelievable. Hazel was a storm of the century in the Toronto area and after it; the government instituted a series of measures aimed at controlling floods in the event it ever happened again. I had no idea it caused such damage in Haiti as well.

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
in defense of Ben...

it was to the dude who started his statement with the world "Bull sheit?" Mabe he got me at the wrong time but he sat me to a bad mood.
My appologies to the rest of the bloggers.
I don't want to enter a ****ing contest with no one , just want to share in a civil matter our opinions on what we think we know and help others to the best of our abilities.
No one here is applying for a job or campaigne for political offices.So let's be nice and honnest to each other.
THAN AGAIN YOU ALL ACCEPT MY APPOLOGIES FOR MY RUDNESS ,NOT INTENDED.

I have to admit that when I read the post that contained "bull shyte", I thought it was kind of rude and uncalled for. Granted, I am fairly new here, but I don't think it's right to be rude especially when the person you are responding to wasn't rude. Just an outsiders opinion, for what it's worth.

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
wow....

So, Ben, was it Hurricane Hazel you were referring to? And yes, aross, it was devastating for Haiti.

that article was fascinating. When someone earlier mentioned Toronto, I assumed they meant the Toronto in the DR....lol! That was one crazy storm. Thanks for posting the article, Lambada!

Speaking of weather, we'll be on the north coast (Santiago, POP, Sosua and Cabarete) in early November (my third trip this year!). How is the weather then? Mosquitos?

Status
Not open for further replies.