Cigars, Cigars, and More Cigars

Once the Cuban embargo is lifted, what hand made cigars would you buy?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Once the Cuban embargo is lifted, what hand made cigars would you buy?

A) Dominican cigars
B) Cuban cigars
C) Nicaraguan cigars
E) Honduran cigars
F) Other country cigars

Originator of poll: Chola1978

-NALs

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Warning label.

Cigars are big business, I am just suggesting a warning label.

Cancer is one sharp knife.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
you mean as in cigars sold in a certain country ? most cigar smokers are aware that there are few cigars where the total cigar is ever all from one country.

if i had to vote, i would vote for nicaragua. cuban cigars are way overrated just like cohibas...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
How many other countries in the World impose this embargo? ~ Grahame.

I think it is only the US so for everyone else the 'when the embargo is lifted' is a bit irrelevant. Please to remember that the US is not the world :cheeky:.
60% of Cuban cigars go to Spain, perfectly legally, & there is an outfit in Malaga which 'packages discreetly' ;) & sends on to US.

Even US citizens can get a licence to visit Cuba & return with Cuban cigars I believe. People such as 'Politicians, Cuban Americans, Journalists, Legitimate researchers, Athletes & Religious groups' according to this
Cuban Cigars in the United States & Legal Information

Don't you just love that list? :)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
That list is interesting, but an athlete smoking. Back to the OP, I thought part of the job of a moderator was to make sure the questions in the poll made some kind of sense.:confused:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That list is interesting, but an athlete smoking. Back to the OP, I thought part of the job of a moderator was to make sure the questions in the poll made some kind of sense.:confused:
Chola1978 is apparently in the cigar business and based on what he expressed to me in the PM when he suggested the poll; it appears that he is worried about the Cuban threat.

Now, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to identify the audience this poll is directed towards. At least I hope not.

The U.S. is the largest market for Dominican cigars, over half of all cigars consumed in the U.S. are of Dominican origin; a market that Cuba practically owned before the embargo.

Castro is now out of the picture, his brother is slowing bringing more liberties to Cuba and is willing to negotiate with the U.S. With the U.S. elections being in November and a new administration taking power, the embargo may just end in a matter of a few years if not months.

Can anyone see why the Dominican cigar industry fears the Cuban threat? Can anyone see why Chola1978 is worried about this?

I hope so.

-NALs

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Chola1978 is apparently in the cigar business and based on what he expressed to me in the PM when he suggested the poll; it appears that he is worried about the Cuban threat. Now, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to identify the audience this poll is directed towards. At least I hope not. The U.S. is the largest market for Dominican cigars, over half of all cigars consumed in the U.S. are of Dominican origin; a market that Cuba practically owned before the embargo.Castro is now out of the picture, his brother is slowing bringing more liberties to Cuba and is willing to negotiate with the U.S. With the U.S. elections being in November and a new administration taking power, the embargo may just end in a matter of a few years if not months. Can anyone see why the Dominican cigar industry fears the Cuban threat? Can anyone see why Chola1978 is worried about this?I hope so. -NALs
NALs, at times your explanations exceed the the confusion you cause by your initial poll!!
Sorry Chola1978 I never REALISED you were in the cigar business - how remiss of me!
Sorry Chola1978 I did not comprehend you were worried about where your future clientelle was going to be coming from'

As 80% (or greater) of DR1 posters are non smokers & perhaps 2% only have an occassional cigar, perhaps another localaity for getting the sort of information you are looking for might be more suitable ..... like a magazine/forum run for & by smokers!

From a marketing point of view, have you considered locking in to a specific market like GOLF??? Loads of golfers smoke cigars (not me, I am a PIPE man!!). I have a couple of marketing ideas for this if you would like to PM me. ~ Grahame.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Good Day to you All.
NAls thnak you for posting the Poll.
The Dominican Cigar industry is pretty good at the moment in certain market we have very little competition and in other we are not the favorite (EUROPE,Brazil.
indeed this poll was intended to get a feeling of What DR1 members think about Cigars and i that lifting the US base embargo would have a effect on potential consumers.

So far we dont see a marketing problem with our tabaco its just is best to see what the reaction would be in all sectors of the industry and out side of it...
Grahame..maybe we can talk about your marketing Ideas while giving g you a tour of our Guayavera factory.in Santiago...all are welcome to join..maybe we can sample some upcoming blends of cigars ..and meet some of the smokers and the one oppose to the idea also.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The fact is, Dominican cigars are generally much better made than many of the top Cuban brands.

When the embargo is lifted, the Spanish-French consortium Altadis will own the marketing rights to almost all of the major Cuban brands in the United States. But, so what?

Do you really think that Cuba will turn its back on Spain and France and England, clients for more than 40 years, to sell a few cigars inthe US??

I do not know Cholo but if he has a factory I am sure that he knows what I am saying is right.

Not to worry, the DR cigar business is fine and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future..

HB

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I make it a point to smoke a few cubans whenever I'm in the Caribbean simply because we can't really get them here in the states. That little bit of rebellion makes the experience that much better for me.

But I honestly prefer Dominican blends. Like Hillbilly said, they are generally better made. And some of the blends are flat out superb. My favorites are Montecristo White, Montecristo Afrique, and Pleiades.

Vince.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I used to love the Pliades line when it was made in Santiago, by MATASA. I do believe I have some eleven or twelve year old maduros from back then...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
First "Cubano" I Ever Smoked, Was At "Hillbilly?s House

About 15 years ago!!! I LIKED IT A LOT!
Smoked them like a chimney in Cuba,brought a 100 back! To bad that was over 10 years ago!
The MAJOR problem buying "Cuban Cigars" in the DR,is that they are most likely DOMINICAN CIGARS with a fake "Cuban" package and label! Since you will never know,why pay for a "Cubano" and smoke a "Dominicano"?????
I smoke "Principes" as an everyday cigar,(15 pesos each,made by "La Aurora")
My "Rich Friends" give me good Dominican cigars for "Special Occasions"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCris CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCColon

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I smoke "Principes" as an everyday cigar,(15 pesos each,made by "La Aurora")
CCCCCColon

FIFTEEN Pesos EACH?????? Dang man, they used to be 15 pesos for a pack of five 15 years ago!! I used to take packets back to England & trade them in pubs against an evenings drinking, & Union (the British one) flag. Both sides of the barter came out extremely happy!! Yup, they are nice & easy cigars to smoke when the pipe gets a bit too tarred up & needs to be rested for a day or two!! ~ Grahame.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Quality Has Improved!

They are "rolled" better,the wraper (tobacco) is better quality,they are each in a Mylar wrapper. I just wish they were bigger! I have "cigar envy" when I see guys with cigars bigger than mine!! :smoke::smoke::smoke::ermm:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I just wish they were bigger! I have "cigar envy" when I see guys with cigars bigger than mine!! :smoke::smoke::smoke::ermm:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Awwww come on Criss, think outside the box & do what you normally do in these circumstances!!! Expand the facts a little, put on a brazen face & LIE A LITTLE!;) :cheeky:!

Briefly light one end of the cigar, chew a while on the other & then tell the guys you have been smoking it for 30 minutes!!!! THEY will then be the ones with "cigar envy"! :ermm: :bunny::bunny: ~ Grahame.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
DR1ers.
This question came about a long conversation with a few friends the are in different part of the Tabacco Industry in DR. From the growers, the people that cure it (us) , Rollers and exporters.
The Instituto del Tabacoo contributed by saying that Cuba has 200 years of experience and technology ahead of us and that it will affect the industry with in a period of 4-8 years after the embargo is lifted if a new marketing approach is not done...
So as part of my contribution to this industry I ask nicely for the poll to be posted...
The amount of tabaco That I cure is not a significant amount to be consider a Tabaquero..few hundred pacas per year...
Now I ma a Dominican Tabaco Fan and my main concern is to overcome the taboo that Cubans area the best...
Hillbilly your are right about Cuba's current market but that not the problem our US market is prety good just like Cuba's Europe market is good... they proplem is growth.......DR and Cuba both need to expand thier market to increase welth in the industry...We are not producing as much tabco as we can cuz we have saturated the US market with our product and out current attempt to diversify our marketplace has hit us with the Cuban reality..........200years of branding...
Just to give you a heads up...
As a country we are trying to penetrate Brazil's market place where Cuban are the favority..well our first couple of expericne has yield very little orders form one of the Biggest Emerging markets i the World.
We also would like to penetrate China...I belive we will have the same results.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I went to the Cigarro Cafe in the Lina Hotel a few weeks ago, love the little place, everyone knows each other and this guy has a whole collection of cigars. Are there any other similar cigar cafes in Sto Dgo or SAntiago?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
5 PACK Of "PRICIPES" Cost 70 Pesos At Supermercado National Arroyo Hondo!

Unless my "math" is worse in "Spanish" than in "English", THAT is 14 pesos each! If you pay 50 pesos for a 5 pack at ANY Supermercado National please let me know which one,I'll smoke MORE!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So "YOU" Are The ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

"National" hasn't had ANY "Principes" for weeks! Fruit Flavours (perish the VERY IDEA!) or "Natural"! I got 15 packs at my colmado for 70 pesos each because I told them that I could get them at "National" for that price.
When I get back to Santo Domingo in Oct. I WILL get to the bottom of this mystery!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc