Couple of Barahona questions

Serac

Mar 23, 2008
I was there about two weeks ago and met an uncle of mine who took me to a beach, I don't remember which one but what I do remember was that right before the beach, right on the sand, there is a stream or lake that came off a mountain, it was fresh water and freezing and eventually led into the ocean,. Since the beach was so rocky (yet beautiful) the majority of the beach goers were bathing in the lake. There was a DJ and plenty of places serving food, I think the name of the place is quemado or quemato or something like that. Can anyone confirm the name of this place and where in Barahona is located at?

My second question is right off the malecon in Barahona there is a park with a yellow train/engine (basically an old choo-choo train) on some abandoned tracks. Anyone know the significance of this train?

Thanks in advance.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a beach called El Quemaito a few kms south west of Barahona on the main road to Paraiso and Pedernales, but what you're describing sounds like Los Patos on the same stretch.

The train is probably an old sugar train, used to transport cane from the fields to the mill.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
There is a beach called El Quemaito a few kms south west of Barahona on the main road to Paraiso and Pedernales, but what you're describing sounds like Los Patos on the same stretch.

The train is probably an old sugar train, used to transport cane from the fields to the mill.

Definitely sounds like los patos.

Google it and you'll find pictures it's a very popular balneario.