From Bayahibe to Bavaro by bus: any advice?

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
Hi guys!
I am at Catalonia resort in Bayahibe and I am going to Bavaro, Carabella resort, next Monday and I don't know how to do it. They asked me 100 dollars by taxi (crazy), but I want to go there by bus. Any advice? I know that in front of Catalonia there is the parada of the gua gua going to La ROmana (I took it when I arrived, it is ok), but what I should take from La ROmana to Bavaro? I read somewhere that there should be Expresso Bavaro leaving from Santo Domingo and stopping at La ROmana: is that true? where I can get it in La ROmana?
Thanks to all

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
You can catch a regular gua gua to Bavaro from the main road before turning towards Bayahibe. I used to catch a motoconcho to take me there if i needed to take a gua gua to La Romana....but I am assuming you have luggage? :eek:
if that is the case then i dont know...have the resort set you up with a car to the main road and then maybe a guagua to Bavaro? im not sure....

Feb 7, 2007
You can catch a voladora at an intersection (cruce de Bayahibe) at ISLA gas station. Express busses will not stop. You can hop on a Sichoprola or Sichoem bus to Higuey.

100 dollars for a taxi is not that much, but you should probably be able to work out the rate to 2500 pesos, which is like 75 dollars. It's about 1200 pesos from Higuey to Bayahibe or Romana (same distance) and about 1300 pesos to Bavaro.

If you have a (heavy) luggage you are better off taking the guagua from Bayahibe to La Romana, they drop you off at Sichoem terminal (if not, take a taxi - 100 pesos) and take the bus to Higuey.

In Higuey, both Sichoprola and Sichoem buses will drop you off at thye Bavaro bus terminal,m where you can take a regular or express bus to bavaro. Just ask for "parada de Bavaro".

drmaniac

Jun 26, 2008
You can catch a voladora at an intersection (cruce de Bayahibe) at ISLA gas station. Express busses will not stop. You can hop on a Sichoprola or Sichoem bus to Higuey.

100 dollars for a taxi is not that much, but you should probably be able to work out the rate to 2500 pesos, which is like 75 dollars. It's about 1200 pesos from Higuey to Bayahibe or Romana (same distance) and about 1300 pesos to Bavaro.

If you have a (heavy) luggage you are better off taking the guagua from Bayahibe to La Romana, they drop you off at Sichoem terminal (if not, take a taxi - 100 pesos) and take the bus to Higuey.

In Higuey, both Sichoprola and Sichoem buses will drop you off at thye Bavaro bus terminal,m where you can take a regular or express bus to bavaro. Just ask for "parada de Bavaro".

GRACIAS amigo!
I am going to take a taxi to la cruce de bayahibe since I have heavy luggage. I just wonder how much time I have to wait at the ISLA gas station the Sichoem or Sichoprola and if these last buses have space for my (two) suitcases...THX
any idea about prices?

Feb 7, 2007
First of all, small correction - Sichoem is actually SITRAIHR.

So, it ISLA gas station you would be looking for either SICHOPROLA or SITRAIHR buses.

The large buses have lots of space for luggage. The small guaguas (Sitraihr) might have some space...
Anyhow, you should not wait more than 15 minutes during a peak hour for bus to pass by. Just get yourself by the road and make the sign like when you hitchhike.

The price should be around 100 to 120 pesos, no more, to Higuey.

From Higuey to Bavaro around 100 to 120 pesos as well.

For the taxi from hotel... you should not pay more than 15 dollars/ 500 pesos to Cruce.

BUT beware you will need to take a taxi from Bavaro bus terminal to teh hotel (15 to 30 dollars depending on where the hotel is located) unless you will stay in one of the following hotels: Barcelo Bavaro, IFA, Melia, Paradissus Palma Real, Carabella, Barcelo Dominican Beach, Palladium, - In that case the bus can drop you off in front of the hotel (on their route).

Reactions: Chirimoya