Why are Dominicans in such Afro-denial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasata

Aug 24, 2008
I feel like many Dominicans realize that they are very dark-skinned (at least compared to most of Latin America) and have a different hair texture, but they don't understand that they have Black ancestry, aka African roots. I remember reading about a college professor or something going to DR to study Black history etc. and one of the waiters who was serving her got angry and told her to go to Haiti to study Blacks. Even my mom didn't like that my sister suggested dancing some Dominican dance (don't remember what its called) for her pagaent and she turned her down because it "looked too African". Hello, I'd say that at least 90% of Dominicans have African roots. Even me who has been mistaken for everything from Spanish to Italian to Brazilian realizes that I have Black ancestry. I will admit, that I do embrace European traditions/ customs more, but at least I acknowledge that we have Africa to thank for ALOT.

May 12, 2005
Let's be careful here people. We are treading on some sensitive and dangerous ground when it comes to discussions of race on DR1.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I feel like many Dominicans realize that they are very dark-skinned (at least compared to most of Latin America) and have a different hair texture, but they don't understand that they have Black ancestry, aka African roots. I remember reading about a college professor or something going to DR to study Black history etc. and one of the waiters who was serving her got angry and told her to go to Haiti to study Blacks. Even my mom didn't like that my sister suggested dancing some Dominican dance (don't remember what its called) for her pagaent and she turned her down because it "looked too African". Hello, I'd say that at least 90% of Dominicans have African roots. Even me who has been mistaken for everything from Spanish to Italian to Brazilian realizes that I have Black ancestry. I will admit, that I do embrace European traditions/ customs more, but at least I acknowledge that we have Africa to thank for ALOT.

All Dominicans have African root/blood, we know it, but because of the history of the DR with its neighbor Haiti, we prefered to stick with our Spanish connection, it's not denial, because, you can't denial what is visible.

Dominicans show their african connection on their Music (Merengue and Bachata) and on our food, of course the color of our skin.

But we don't like it when people want to tell us, you're African act like it, we're first Dominican, second Caribbean, third a mix of races and culture.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I give this thread a few more minutes.

But I would argue Dominicans are in Afro denial, because many of them don't have Afros...(enter laugh here)

Seriously, it's a tough thread and per DR1 guidelines won't be up for long. Do a search, there is enough on this board...

Mr. Lu

Last edited:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Um...

But we don't like it when people want to tell us, you're African act like it, we're first Dominican, second Caribbean, third a mix of races and culture.

First,

You don't speak for ALL Dominicans.

Second,

This response, by default, negates that that which OP claims. It's a nuanced response, I would venture to say.

Third,

We are not "Caribbean." Geographically speaking we are in the Caribbean, but Caribbeanists don't consider the DR as Caribbean. (Note: For many people, Caribbean connotes West Indies, which would include islands like the Bahamas, V.I. or Jamaica for example.)

Mr. Lu

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
you can blame Trujillo also

on cedulas, if you were black, they would put indio oscuro

hehe

Lasata

Aug 24, 2008
I have done a rather thorough search, and none have really answered my question. (maybe I am not the best searcher). Perhaps you have discussed this ad nauseum (I wouldn't know, its my second day here), but to MOST Dominican people I know, this issue is hardly ever brought up. I was just looking for your insight, which few of you want to repeat. What's one more time?

Status
Not open for further replies.