Little black flying creatures

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Ok, so its just rained so much here in Sosua and im sat by the window with my porch light on. As the rain slows and stops, i look up and see about a thousand little black flying creatures around the light. They are thin and quite long.....so they look nothing like mosquitos. Next thing you know, they are appearing in my apartment!!!!! Loads of them and im spraying them and they die, but then their wings come off and now theres dead bodies and wings everywhere. And my fan is on so they are blowing around.

So just a quick question.....what the hell are they? And how do you stop them?

Please tell me these are normal and my apartment isnt infested with these nasty things!

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
I do forget the Dominican name for them but they come this time of year. By the zillions. They come, fly around, die, drop off their wings and that's it. No other problems.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I do forget the Dominican name for them but they come this time of year. By the zillions. They come, fly around, die, drop off their wings and that's it. No other problems.

They are female termites looking for mates

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Termites???????

They are driving me crazy! You think you kill them all and sweep them up and then more appear. Nearly started crying when i saw them all....but that could be the hormones!

They appear to be attracted to light....is that right?

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Termites???????

They are driving me crazy! You think you kill them all and sweep them up and then more appear. Nearly started crying when i saw them all....but that could be the hormones!

They appear to be attracted to light....is that right?

Not certain if that is the case but I think you are probably correct. We had them here in Cabarete 2 nights ago. Wings all over the place. Same thing happens with ants, females flying around at certain times of the year looking to mate.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Too bad Rocky has retired, I am sure he would have fun with the comments about females flying around looking for a mate and then dropping their wings.

Reactions: Rocky

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Why waste the spray, they die within seconds when exposed to light. It must be they die when they realize the male termites are no where to be found. Yes Sousa has trillions of them and have for the last several months. When I heard they where females, I was just happy they don't bite!

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Just turn your lights off while they are in flight (and hope your neighbor leaves theirs on). Certain weather conditions cause entire colonies to take flight. They don't live long and they don't bite.

Reactions: Rocky

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
We've got them down here in StoDo too, or at least down here on the Mirador Sur. They usually appear just before rain, when it's very humid and do congregate in their hundreds around a light. In the mornings I sometimes have a whole "carpet" of their wings outside on the patio.

When the creatures themselves get too much for me I find the vacuum cleaner very handy.....

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
They fly toward lights in their attempt to get outside. After flying, they shed their wings and are ready to mate and begin new colonies.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
do they look like a thin ant with tiny wings?

i just came home from POP and anywhere it seemed like they hung out in shallow water, damp areas, puddles etc after the rain.

they were biting and/or stinging me like crazy

wondering if it is the same thing or what it could be?