Taxi Pricing in SD

Expat133

Aug 13, 2008
What are the prices of taxis in SD, I am getting some conflicting comments on this.
Does anyone have a solid answer and opinion on this?

Are they readily available or should one call in advance?

Thanks in advance!

Expat133

Aug 13, 2008
As a general rule, you should call first, tell them where you are, where you're going, and have them give you the rate first. Never just jump in, and tell the driver to take you to your destination. You'll be in for a big surprise if you don't.

Santo Domingo is very big, and the rates depend on where you're going.

I have always had good experiences with Apollo taxi.

So just to clarify, in SD taxis have a price fluctuation deeping on where you are going within the city?
Do they not have meters inside?

I appreciate the advice above, but would still like an idea on my original question, Are the taxis expensive in SD?
I will be doing business on a daily basis for a few months or more and I am just trying to figure out if i should use taxis, rental cars, or buy a cheap vehicle.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
So just to clarify, in SD taxis have a price fluctuation deeping on where you are going within the city?

I appreciate the advice above, but would still like an idea on my original question, Are the taxis expensive in SD?
I will be doing business on a daily basis for a few months or more and I am just trying to figure out if i should use taxis, rental cars, or buy a cheap vehicle.

I was just in SD a few weeks ago I paid between 140 and 150 for the immediate areas 5 to 10 min.rides.... I think its always good to call ahead.....but i think thats the minimum charge for the area....i don't know about just flagging down a cab i always called and they showed up within 5 minutes...........and also i don't think they expect you to tip...right guys? ? ?.....BUT one time I used a cab from the hotel to the Metro bus station and the thieves charged me 400 pesos, so always call the many taxi companies first.

I didn't see any meters on the cabs i used.

Feb 7, 2007

They charge by the zone. No meters. I have not used cabs in SD for quite some time. It used to be RD$120 minimum charge, across town (e.g. Gazcue to Herrera about 160) now with gas/LPG prices up I guess what MAR paid RD$140 is the minimum now... across town about 200 pesos.

Call Apollo Taxi, Aerotaxi. Rueda taxi is a lil'bit cheaper on longer trips.

Never use a hotel taxi as they will charge you double to tripple the rate. If you flag down taxi that belongs to a company (e.g. Apollo) they charge you the same rate as if you call in to ask for a cab. If you flag down a private cab not affiliated to a cab company expect to pay 20-50% more.

If the quoted rate does seem too high to you, tell them to check the rate (verifique la tarifa por favor) and listen closely what the dispatch says.

If you do a multiple stop trip they should give you a discount and always ask for them to call the base to check the rate. The rate usually includes a short wait time (e.g. 5 minutes) longer wait time is usually paid at a rate of 30 mins = 150 pesos. If you do longer distance trips or multiple stops they usually charge less for waiting (if not excessive).

Last edited:

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
No meters - Just call Apollo. They will be just fine. - Suggest that if you are going to be there for a while in need a taxi, then you find someone who is a private taxi driver and work out a deal with him.

I have a guy in Santo Domingo who I use. He has a private taxi and he is awesome. Speaks great English and is a businessman versus a Vulture. You can count on him. Feel free to send me a Private Message if you would like his contact information.

:cheeky:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Apolo Taxi: 809-537-0000
Tecni Taxi: 809-567-7741
La Ruta: 809-564-4444

Never take taxis on the street, they will charge you the Gringo price. Any taxi you call will be there in less then 10 minutes.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
RD$ 110.oo to 150.oo within town with Apollo Taxi.
When you call (you need some Spanish) always do this:

• If you are in or close to a landmark hotel, try to give the address opposite or better BEHIND it... you will stand less a chance to pay premium.
  • Give concise addresses (e. g.: "Avenida XYZ con calle XYZ, justo detras del Hotel/parque XYZ").Keep in mind, Dominicans are not map readers nor are they great listeners, so check out your pick up locatation and make real sure you know where you want to be picked up before you place your call.
  • Once you have a cab spoken for tell'em where you want to go and ask for the going price "... deme la tarifa".
  • If they don't tell you, ask for the color of the cab.
With the time, you will get a pretty good feeling of what a ride may cost... so you can flag down cabs and just tell them where you are going and how much you offer BEFORE you get in. Works 90% of the time: "... voy pa XYZ... para 120 QUIERE?".

If you come to like a guy and his ride, feel free and welcome to ask him for his cell phone number. Don't hesitate to also become creative and offer a day deal if you need a driver for a day or two... but keep in mind that if you keep someone working for you all day long you are expected to treat that person to dinner (noon)... can absolutely be something simple at a local cafeteria.

... J-D.