Jealousy

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
... I was going to say "any" man and jealousy but was trying to keep it DR related and since i am frustrated with a DR mans jealousy that was my topic

Reactions: Lucille
Mar 2, 2008
I think men are generally the same, regardless of nationality. We like to think we are the first, only, and last.

That having been said however, most of us know we're not the first, so we let that slide. We also suspect we won't be the last either, once the relatiohship is over, so that is forgiven.

The big one is the "only" part. That is, "only" being defined as exclusive sex during the course of the relationship. There is no way around that one.

Part of that need for exclusivity is biological, with men wanting to protect the origin of their genetic lineage. Part of it is the natural competition between men, and that involves ego. But I think, for me at any rate, a large part has to do with the issue of trust.

A man wants to trust his partner, to know that the confidences he shared with her will not be shared with others. I don't know if that is a universal trait, but I do know it is true of many American men. We do not want our weaker moments to be exposed to our competition, and where love is concerned, the competition is all other men.

Now to bring this back to the OP's original query, in my opinion, while all men might get jealous, not all men handle it in the same way. That is where some of the cultural differences probably come into play.

Dominican men probably are more expressive about their jealousy, and might be somewhat more sensitive about competition. Where many American men simply move on after discovering an infidelity or breach of trust, the same might not be true of Dominicanos, who seem to care more about their peers think of them.

All of this is really just conjecture, since I am not aware of any sociological studies on thnis subject, but it is conjecture based on my observations and experience. Anyway, it makes for an interesting debate, and love is one of the two things that make the world go 'round.

Reactions: AlaninDR and AnnaC

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Catcherintherye's post was excelllent.

One thing to remember, if the jealousy is over a women that is not from the DR, then that rage could turn into violence.

For reasons better not discussed and or implied.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I heartily agree with catcher, you can't be first and doubtfully won't will be last. Trust is what is hoped for, expected and required for long lasting relationships. Said in a different way;
Trust, if you have it, the devil can't get you. If you don't have it, God can't save you.
My simplistic way of putting it in my black and white world.
Latin culture seems to be very tolerant of infidelity issues as long as it is not thrown in their face. Perhaps that means that most people think and assume it will happen but prefer to lie to themselves by saying that their significant other would never do that.
The 3F comes to mind.

Reactions: AnnaC
Mar 2, 2008
Alan has a way of saying what I'm thinking using about a third of the words. And Mike, when allowed close to a keyboard always manages a humorous summary.

Anyway, humbled but unbowed, I will add one more verbose observation on this topic;

One reason men turn to working girls in times of trouble is that during the course of their relationship, one can be fairly certain they are faithful. Of course the relationship ends when the money is paid, but still, it is one of the few certainties that comfort us in an uncertain world.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
would you not get jealous over your meal ticket ? :ermm:
i'm talking dominican men--foreign women....

Mar 2, 2008
I think that is what Mike was referring to.

"One thing to remember, if the jealousy is over a women that is not from the DR, then that rage could turn into violence.
For reasons better not discussed and or implied." Mike1