meeting other expats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i just read the thread in the santodomingo section about meeting other expats...

i guess maybe i don't run in the right circles, but i've been here 5 years and know only a like three other expats in santiago! where do you all hang out? is there a place? a "cool kids club"?

i'm interested in getting to know more people with similar backgrounds.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not "hang out" , I live what most would call a normal life...I work a lot, eat and sleep at home. Weekends are dedicated to Golf and Judo, but not necessarily in that order.
If you want to see me, I am usually home around noon. We generally receive guests with smiles...The dogs frighten people, until they get to know you, and then they eat you!!

gimme a call..

HB

Reactions: DavidZ

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
..... i guess maybe i don't run in the right circles, but i've been here 5 years and know only a like three other expats in santiago!

Must be the wrong circles. I can name many that are not even on the INTERNET, and two of those are English teachers in Santiago. Add in the ones from DR1, those I met at the stores and the number grows to about 20.

Met many ex-pats at Supermarcado Nacional in Cafe Tomate, some at Pola and some at McDonald?s. If I hear them talking English, I strike up a conversation.

(Not counting the "Religious" ones in the white shirts)

b5se1j.gif

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I always end up doing 20 minutes of serious shopping and 1.5 hours of serious BSing with people in grocery stores. I meet people from Dr1 and other expats all the time in stores. One day santiagoDR and I must have talked for over an hour in super nacional.
Chip is always there too.
AZB

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I do not "hang out" , I live what most would call a normal life...I work a lot, eat and sleep at home. Weekends are dedicated to Golf and Judo, but not necessarily in that order.
If you want to see me, I am usually home around noon. We generally receive guests with smiles...The dogs frighten people, until they get to know you, and then they eat you!!

gimme a call..

HB

LaTeacher, how do you do it, I've been a (sarcastic) member of this board for years and HB has never invited me over!!!;););)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, lets do one thing. lets get together all the santiago expats for a little introduction meeting. If interested, I would be willing to come. Let HB take charge in this matter if he has time available.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ok, lets do one thing. lets get together all the santiago expats for a little introduction meeting. If interested, I would be willing to come. Let HB take charge in this matter if he has time available.
AZB

I think this is a great idea - lets do it sooner rather than later though because I have to leave at the end of the month.

I'll try to get a couple of new DR1'ers and recent santiagueros, SKing and TheHun to come along too.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This might get out of hand, but let's say that there will be an Open House from 8-10 on Monday at HB's place. If you want booze, bring it. I'll have cokes and ice and limes.
Probably some tacos and we can order pizza.

Absolutely no work for me or the Mrs....

We can sit and talk and joke and make fun of AZB....or watch the dogs eat the uninvited...

My dear friend Fire Guy has not seen Yoshi, I do not think...(Gregg, he's twice the size of the ones you knew!!)

Seriously, it won't hurt to get together for a while. PM me for directions if you do not already know...

Don, you are welcome, of course. I am sure you know how to cross the river....

Oh yeah, there is plenty of room, not to worry...

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
..... or watch the dogs eat the uninvited...

ric9dj.gif

:devious: Will there be relish and catchup for the "Hot Dogs"? :devious:

b5se1j.gif

Vawner

Feb 7, 2007
Quick, put me on the invite list!

This might get out of hand, but let's say that there will be an Open House from 8-10 on Monday at HB's place. If you want booze, bring it. I'll have cokes and ice and limes.
Probably some tacos and we can order pizza.

Absolutely no work for me or the Mrs....

We can sit and talk and joke and make fun of AZB....or watch the dogs eat the uninvited...

My dear friend Fire Guy has not seen Yoshi, I do not think...(Gregg, he's twice the size of the ones you knew!!)

Seriously, it won't hurt to get together for a while. PM me for directions if you do not already know...

Oh yeah, there is plenty of room, not to worry...

HB

To avoid becoming kibbles & bits, please put me on the invite list and tell me the secret password to get past the canine sentries!

Dan

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Jack and the Bean Stalk

Just got back from a trial run to make sure I knew where I was going in the dark.

I assume, HB, that your home is the "Former residence of Jack and the Bean Stalk". ;)

That is one tall tree.

b5se1j.gif

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
can we have the list of people who are coming to the party? I hope non of the militant women have plans for my quick disposal.My assumed list of people:
Chip
santiagodr
AZB plus 2 more
frank the tank
ricardo900
hillbilly and his tribe
vawner
Please add yourself to the list.
Do we have to bring chairs? what time is the gathering?
Thanks
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hillbilly and the gang from DR1

LaTeacher:

i guess maybe i don't run in the right circles, but i've been here 5 years and know only a like three other expats in santiago!

We were there, where were you?
v7xhcg.jpg

b5se1j.gif

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
man. i've been sick with a fever for about 3 days. and my son is too.

i hope you guys had fun. i'm sad i missed it :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Lateacher, you didn't even make an atttempt to call or contact anyone on dr1. This is insulting to us that you inspire us to have a gathering (for your benefit sake) then you decide to not show up without calling anyone. Hillbilly was gentleman enough to step to the mount and treat us with his delicious tacos. He put his sons to work and was nice enough to give us his company after a hard day's work in university. I would like to thank hillbilly for hosting this meeting. I got to meet many old and some new friends. Good crowd.
AZB

Status
Not open for further replies.