i think we can all agree this is the reason why domincians think foreigners = money

Status
Not open for further replies.

malikp

Aug 30, 2008
cause they see their broke ass friends or family go to NY and come back for 2 weeks spending 2-3 thousand dollars and wearing the latest fashion. I hate this cause everywhere i went in DR everyone called me the millionaire and everyone wondered why my brother had more money than me and a better car. Not knowing that my brother works 10 hours a day and then goes to college for 4 hours and only gets like 6 hours of sleep. Lives with my aunt and 3 cousins in NY and he's the one that pays the bills and they cant even afford air conditioning. This is why i know that if i do what everyone else wants ( spend most of my life working then move there when im older) i'll never accomplish anything and i will live miserable. I'll be working all year for a 2 week vacation where ill be depressed for 50 weeks till i can go for 2 weeks again. Id rather start now while im young and going to college in DR and making my life there.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Go to college in the DR and then what?

You think it works the same way as in the states? Go to college and then get a good job with benefits, 401K and paid sick days?

Think you'll make enough money to do what you want to do? Party with the chicas and be happy all the time? What about a house? What about a nice car? Think those will be affordable on an average dominican salary?

The time you spent on vacation there was an illusion-and if you don't have any money and decide to move there you'll just be another poor, broke dominican. And will more than likely continue to be so after college.

The Presidentes aren't going to taste the same living like that. Sorry to say.

There's a reason why so many dominicans want to leave the island-the opportunities just aren't the same as they are here in the states.

Maybe you need to speak to some older dominicans and seek their wisdom. It seems you don't have a realistic frame of reference to make a good decision about this.

You're letting that time you spent on vacation in the DR get to your head.

Last edited:

malikp

Aug 30, 2008

You think it works the same way as in the states? Go to college and then get a good job with benefits, 401K and paid sick days?

Think you'll make enough money to do what you want to do? Party with the chicas and be happy all the time? What about a house? What about a nice car? Think those will be affordable on an average dominican salary?

The time you spent on vacation there was an illusion-and if you don't have any money and decide to move there you'll just be another poor, broke dominican. And will more than likely continue to be so after college.

There's a reason why so many dominicans want to leave the island-the opportunities just aren't the same as they are here in the states.

Maybe you need to speak to some older dominicans and seek their wisdom. It seems you don't have a realistic frame of reference to make a good decision about this.

30k pesos and im living with straight. Id honestly like to study psychology and make my own office. I could always come back and work and save up to go back again and make my own office.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
30k pesos and im living with straight.

What does this mean? 30k pesos a month? What type of job pays this in the DR? Do psychologists make this much? Please explain...

Id honestly like to study psychology and make my own office. I could always come back and work and save up to go back again and make my own office.

You have any idea what the job market is for psychologists in the DR? Maybe you should do some research first to see if this will be feasible.

Also, I'm not sure you can get an advanced degree in psychology from an american university if you plan to use it in the DR-you would have to be bi-lingual in all of the terminology used in that profession. Maybe someone who knows better than I can answer that for you.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
okay so - you hate your life and your location, you see nothing ahead for yourself but dreary work, work and more work
do you have the scores to get into the Air Force or even the navy?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

Mallik.....i get the feeling you are soo bored out of your mind and frustrated with your life right now......Berzin has outlined many good points here.....you are very young and i think you are going through a phase....maybe you need to stay where you are and get your own place, maybe you need to be on your own....there's a growing Dominican community in NC, find them go out meet new people......and reread Berzin's advice.

Reactions: Berzin
Feb 7, 2007
What does this mean? 30k pesos a month? What type of job pays this in the DR? Do psychologists make this much? Please explain...

You have any idea what the job market is for psychologists in the DR? Maybe you should do some research first to see if this will be feasible.

Berzin, you have any idea how much psychologists charge in the DR? 1000 to 1500 pesos per session. At 3 clients a day, 20 hours a week, that's like 60K. Minus office rent, energy, etc. it's easy to make 30K net.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2008
That sounds good, but of course you actually need to have a post graduate degree from a reputable college that is recognized in the DR, understand the cultural aspects of your clients conditions, and speak the language that your clients speak, that is if you actually have any clients to begin with.

None of those conditions are even close to being true at this point, and judging from the attitude I've seen here, I don't think those conditions will be true in the near future either. Establishing a credible practice takes many years, and lots of hard work. A professional reputation does not just fall from the sky.

I doubt Malikp understands what is involved in setting up a successful practice that pays the kind of money you are referring to, and I think it is rather irresponsible to encourage someone to make such a move when that person is not even close to being prepared.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Berzin, you have any idea how much psychologists charge in the DR? 1000 to 1500 pesos per session. At 3 clients a day, 20 days a week, that's like 60K. Minus office rent, energy, etc. it's easy to make 30K net.

No, I have no idea. Thats' why I asked;).

A good friend of mine is a psychologist working with troubled youth-her position was terminated when Leonel Fernandez took over in 2004 and has had trouble finding steady work ever since.

And this is a woman with an advanced degree with many years of experience.

I have a feeling this is turning into another SunandBuns scenario-just another frustrated young man who wants to live out an unrealistic fantasy because he's unhappy and can't live the dream like he could if he was in the DR.

Welcome to the club, brother. If it were easy we'd all be there right now:ermm::ermm::ermm:.

Do yourself a favor, son-spend the next couple of years worrying less about getting easy women and drinking beer in the DR and more time acquiring marketable skills in something you enjoy. And a college degree in the meantime would do wonders for your world view.

It will be much easier to make moves in life if you have solid credentials. It will set you apart from the "dollar and a dream" crowd like you wouldn't believe.

Last edited:

malikp

Aug 30, 2008
its easier for me to get a psychology degree in DR than in the USA. Im'a spend 6 months living in DR. Gonna see how it is for real. Then im gonna come back and go to community college and do a spanish major and save all my money since i dont have to pay bills here or anything. Gonna do the spanish major so I can write and understand spanish better so i wont run into trouble while im studying in DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Like berzin says: the grass is greener on the other side. its much much harder to make a good living here than in USA. I often think about going back to USA starting over. I make good money as compared to dominicans but when you make good money, you also have higher expenses. I make money and then I spend it to acquire the comfort I desire. In these tough times, its not easy to save anything for the future. I hope the times change in Dr and life becomes easier. I am here because I have no kids or wife to worry about. I am a free bird and I like my life as it is for now. However, When I think about the future, it gives me goose bumps.
AZB

Mar 2, 2008
It's just a typo. Criticism is fine as long as it is pertenent to the issue. If we nit-picked every typo and gramatical error nothing would ever get discussed. Talk about lightening up.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It's just a typo. Criticism is fine as long as it is pertenent to the issue. If we nit-picked every typo and gramatical error nothing would ever get discussed. Talk about lightening up.

I took care of it. Now everyone can happily go back to the topic at hand:cheeky:.

RENAISSANCEMAN

Feb 3, 2008
Money

Most dominicans think that all foreigners have lots of money. The truth is that most have more than them -- so we are the "haves" and they are the "have nots". You have to spend more than 2 weeks on an all inclusive vacation to get a true feel of the country.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Most dominicans think that all foreigners have lots of money. The truth is that most have more than them -- so we are the "haves" and they are the "have nots". You have to spend more than 2 weeks on an all inclusive vacation to get a true feel of the country.

True, but thats' not the OP's situation. He is dominican and when he goes to the DR he stays with family in Moca(if I'm not mistaken), which is in the Cibao region.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I want to know what is so bad to save money working hard in the states to then semi-retire here when you are 35 (still young). In here you wont be able to make it with the regular salaries that they pay here, only a very lucky few has survived here and lived the life that they envisioned yet saving for the future.

Try this, come here for 2 months with a budget of no more of 800 dolls a month, then rent an apartment, pay electricty, phone, internet and cable, then try to buy the home appliancees, then get the inverter (you would die without one) and then try to live a nice night lifestyle with what is left. Come back and post the experience.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
malikp;

So, you're a'gonna come back here, sponge off your relatives, save your money, go into business, and all the other things you're DREAMING about.
What do you think your relatives will be doing, supporting your greedy a$$ while you sponge off them? Do you think they'll shout with joy? More than likely, they'll tell you to get off your lazy a$$, get a paying job to share in the expenses while you live your dream of getting an "EASIER" education in a Dominican school.
Seems to me that you fit the category of a lot of other "me-first" Dominican youngsters who haven't the slightest idea of how to be successful in today's work places.
You don't just get a "good" education by attending the easiest schools; you must put forth the effort and STUDY YOUR A$$ OFF in order to achieve a worthwhile recognition in today's world, whether it be in the DR, or in the States.

Texas Bill

Reactions: Dragonfly32837

rey

Jan 2, 2007
hey ;isten it is what it is...most people want to look as if they did good in the USA when they come back to DR for vacation...what is wrong with a little show off....let them spend money and have fun........

dominican-yorks love putting up a front as if they have more then what they really do....thats just the way it is.....

As for me i like to act as if i am just a regular joe i like to keep a low profile i think is better like that....

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
malikp;

So, you're a'gonna come back here, sponge off your relatives, save your money, go into business, and all the other things you're DREAMING about.
What do you think your relatives will be doing, supporting your greedy a$$ while you sponge off them? Do you think they'll shout with joy? More than likely, they'll tell you to get off your lazy a$$, get a paying job to share in the expenses while you live your dream of getting an "EASIER" education in a Dominican school.
Seems to me that you fit the category of a lot of other "me-first" Dominican youngsters who haven't the slightest idea of how to be successful in today's work places.
You don't just get a "good" education by attending the easiest schools; you must put forth the effort and STUDY YOUR A$$ OFF in order to achieve a worthwhile recognition in today's world, whether it be in the DR, or in the States.

Texas Bill

OUCH, Bill!!!!!! That hurt!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.