Spiritual Retreat at the Jasmine Spa

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
For my birthday this year I wanted to do something different. Normally, apart from being with my family if I?m lucky, I go out with friends to some bar or club, a few drunk Happy Birthdays, and there you have it. About a week before my birthday, which is August 24th, I was presented with the opportunity to spend the weekend at the Jasmine Spa and Wellness Holistic Health Center in the mountains close to Puerto Plata. Right away, I knew this would be a completely different experience. So, I accepted all the ridicule from my friends who said I was now turning into a ?pretty boy?, invited my friend Diana, and set off early Saturday morning August 23rd to the mountains.

Day 1

I?d taken the Carretera Turistica many times before on trips to the North Coast but had never seen the Jasmine Spa. Now that I knew where I was looking for it (about 3 kilometers outside the town of Yasika in Tubagua), I came upon the entrance gate right along the carretera. We were attentively met at the end of the driveway by owner Anis Kara and several of her staff members. Anis and her husband Zahir had their facility built from scratch and officially opened the Jasmine Spa in November of 2007. Once we entered the clinic, it was evident that this was much more than a spa; it was a spiritual retreat. Anis gave us a welcome tour of her 4 room facility and everything I saw whispered spirituality and tranquility: the decoration, the colors, the beautiful mountain view, the hammocks, numerous books including one of my favorites, ?The Celestine Prophecy? right out on the table, chess sets, etc. Anis showed Diana and I to the top floor where we could look out over the mountains and over her 40 acre property. Here we were given a crash course in natural remedies. She pointed to an ugly looking green fruit on the tree below known as noni which is supposedly excellent for your immune system to help fight off sickness. She also showed us a nim tree, a natural mosquito repellent. She has several in front of her rooms, and now when I think back, I never saw one mosquito that weekend. I was intrigued and exited to learn more from Anis.

The rooms were very spacious with ceiling fans, hot water showers, and each comes with its own hammock in the outside walkway. Diana loved the fact that the towels on the bed were folded to create different animals. That weekend we had a snake, a duck and a pigeon in the bed; very creative. Next was lunch and we were surprised to receive a full five course meal. Every meal we ate during the weekend was 5 courses and from different ethnicities: Dominican, Indian, and Chinese. Interestingly, nearly all the food and ingredients served at the clinic come directly from the soils around the spa. Their future goal is to have 100% of their food produced on site. The meals throughout the weekend were incredible and even more impressive was the presentation and service. Each meal seemed to come with its own unique presentation: plates, napkins, cups, decoration. Both Diana and I felt like we never saw the same presentation twice. Also, I don?t think I?ve ever experienced such attentive service in the DR. The employees, all locals hired from the surrounding town of Tubagua, were so quick to please and extremely pleasant. We were impressed that such a small kitchen could produce so much detail and variety.

After lunch on Saturday it was time for our massages, and although I have been going to the gym regularly for about 10 years now, this was my first professional massage. The young ladies who performed our massages were professional and very talented; I can?t counts how many knots were rubbed out of my battered back. The spa used coconut oil made on site for the massage treatment, actually, all the spa treatments at the Jasmine spa are 100% natural and grown right on site. Anis stresses that their clinic is ?chemical free?.

During the day, a young Polish couple was enjoying a day trip to the spa. At this point, most of the Jasmine Spa?s business comes from the local resorts of Puerto Plata, about a half an hour away. Anis personally picks up visitors interested in her day spa options and personally brings them back to their resort. By nightfall, Diana and I were the only guests and we were treated to a candlelight Indian dinner that was the perfect relaxed ending to an already relaxing day. At about 8pm, the staff and Anis (who lives next door), retired for the day. We were given a walkie-talkie just in case we needed something and were told that we had access to the whole clinic, even the kitchen. I honestly felt like I was staying at a close friend?s or family member?s house; that?s how comfortable we were. Now all alone, we went up to the spa?s open air roof, laid down on a couple of beach chairs and were in awe of the amount of stars, fortunately, the lights of the capital far far away.

Day 2 (my birthday)

I woke up extremely early for some reason, around 6am, and decided to stay up. I then walked up to the roof and simply sat down for awhile and looked out over the low clouds that were spreading through the mountain valley ahead. Quite a unique birthday morning I thought to myself, one I will always remember. Anis found me alone on the roof and asked if I wanted to meet the rest of her staff. Besides her 8 human employees, Jasmine Spa has 3 horses, 2 donkeys (Marisa and Mankus), 2 dogs (Simba and Tony), a new puppy and a chicken named Elliot. Simba can be found roaming the grounds and bothering/playing with the donkeys. Personally, I?m a big animal lover and I thought their presence added so much positive energy to the clinic.

After breakfast, I went for a facial but Diana opted to take photos of the grounds as she is a professional photographer and was in love with the clinic?s surroundings. Obviously, this was my first facial, and although I hope none of my boys back in New Jersey read this, I must say that I really enjoyed it. The young lady used honey (also made on site) for the treatment and afterwards I was left contemplating which was more relaxing, the massage or the facial? I honestly don?t know, it?s a tie in my mind.

Anis then gave us a tour of her house next door where we saw first hand where many of the unique ingredients we had been eating were being grown. She even gave me lemongrass, peppermint and a small nim tree to take home and fight off the mosquitos. A little sweaty from walking around the grounds, Diana and I decided to cool off in the clinic?s small fresh water pool. We made our way down a long line of stairs (Simba the dog leading the way), walked past several small waterfalls before arriving at the pool. The water was cold but incredibly refreshing. So, we chilled out, with only the forest surrounding our conversation.

Lunch came with a surprise. For dessert, Anis and her staff brought out a plate of those Danish Cookies, you know the ones in the round tin can (I love them), with candles and a sign that said Happy Birthday. I appreciated the gesture a great deal and the whole experience in general.

Before Diana and I left for Santo Domingo, Anis taught us how to meditate by breathing deeply and repeating the sound of ?OM? in your mind. Two weeks later, I now find myself meditating whenever I get cut off or honked at in Santo Domingo. Needless to say, I?m taking everything a bit easier these days. I honestly could not have asked for a more unique birthday experience and I hope to regularly return to the Jasmine Spa and always have it as my own spiritual retreat.

For more information about the Jasmine Spa and Wellness Holistic Health Center please use the following link: Jasmine Spa and Wellness Holistic Health - Dominican Republic