Aid to Haiti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Suprisingly I have talked with many Dominican pastors and there doesn't seem to be any well known programs in place. What's worse is that many of the Haitians don't even get ministered to here in the DR.

Here is a link to a reputable misionary organization that has missions in the DR and Haiti.

G.O. Ministries :: Great Opportunities in Global Outreach

I also know a Haitian pastor that lives in the north of Haiti that I'm sure would be interested in anything you wanted to help with.

Reactions: FernieBee

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Do Haitians ever get the help that its sent to them by foreign countries? :tired:
I hear that the officials are so corrupt that they take most of the aid to either sell it or just give it to family and the rest of the country gets NADA!!!. :tired:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There's a medical mission with official government aid standing by, apparently.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Medical mission

There's a medical mission with official government aid standing by, apparently.

Do you have any contact information on this? I heard a program on Saturday asking for any Haitian medical students who were here in the country to help serve as translators.. I would love to file a story on this for the international press. It would help to counteract the image of the DR as .... well...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
From today's DR1 news:

DR aid to Haiti
The DR is sending a team of 17 doctors and paramedics to Haiti via the border crossing at Jimani to provide humanitarian assistance to victims of the recent storms. Rains and winds caused by the latest storm, Hurricane Ike, have killed 58 people in Haiti, which had already suffered the effects of intense rains resulting from previous storms Fay, Gustav and Hanna. President Leonel Fernandez ordered RD$10 million worth of food and medicines to be sent to help 150,000 refugees in Port-au-Prince and Gonaives. The Ministry of Public Health said the team would be in Haiti for three days. Also participating are 20 Haitian medical students from PUCMM in Santiago. The team was standing by yesterday, waiting for the Bani-Azua highway to be reopened to traffic.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Dr Bach who works with Dr. Bob in Sosua leaves today (Thursday Sept 11) with a team of doctors headed to Haiti. They plan to provide some medical help and determine what to do for the second phase. I am told this is with the help from the President.

Reactions: FernieBee

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow i've been looking at pics of the devastation Ike caused in Haiti, so many houses in the mud, very sad to see, and what's more sad is that i hardly see any information in the news here in the states about it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
News in the States etc...

Wow i've been looking at pics of the devastation Ike caused in Haiti, so many houses in the mud, very sad to see, and what's more sad is that i hardly see any information in the news here in the states about it.

I don?t know what news you get in States- happily here in Santo Domingo- I am well informed by CNN international, the BBC, DW from Germany (in English)- TV5 from France- and CNN Espanol - as well as the 3 US networks- which have all carried news of Haiti. at least since IKE. Matt Damon arrived there yesterday so that he brought some press attention with him which is a good thing.

I was a bit shocked at Church (The little English Epiiphany/Union Church here) to have them take a collection for hurricane relief for TEXAS!! Imagine.. One of the priests said "Well, they do so much for us....."

I guess if there was a call for aid for Haiti, no one would give.

I did see that the Gruillon?s with their Fundation Sur, has sent out a call for aid money and there are tons of appeals from the Haitian community in the US.

It is odd that the Catholic Church here does nothing..... or the Episcopal which has a Seminary in Haiti.

It is a powder keg- for sure-- they have lost their full harvest-- one would think that the DR would be raising and international CRY for aid and helping to get aid from Europe and South America. otherwise.. where are do they think that 10 million hungry haitians are going to go?

very very strange behavior..

i guess it is because of the maps that they have been looking at all their lives-- they think that they are alone on an island?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
:) Mountainannie,

I'm very glad that they are getting all the help possible. The catholic church? well they are another story like the Haitian government and some Dominican politicians.

I don?t know what news you get in States- happily here in Santo Domingo- I am well informed by CNN international, the BBC, DW from Germany (in English)- TV5 from France- and CNN Espanol - as well as the 3 US networks- which have all carried news of Haiti. at least since IKE. Matt Damon arrived there yesterday so that he brought some press attention with him which is a good thing.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Lambada, thank you, very interesting, i had a feeling about some of those reasons.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
M.A.R.

I was reading this today & thought you might like to see it. Not about aid to Haiti but about the structural reasons why there is so little reporting in US on any Haitian issues. I found it quite illuminating:
CEPR - Bad News From Haiti: U.S. Press Misses the Story

Lest not forget that before the forced exile of Aristide by the US, the economic sanctions against his government by many in the international community softened him up mightily for his administration to crumble easily. The US government was in the lead on this.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
An amusing rendition

Lest not forget that before the forced exile of Aristide by the US, the economic sanctions against his government by many in the international community softened him up mightily for his administration to crumble easily. The US government was in the lead on this.

I am always amused by people who want simplistic solutions to complex problems. There are some trick names, trick players here -- and the people whom you are reading here are working for the return of Aristide. They are working for the withdrawal of MINUSTAH. The ?massacres?that are referred to were in Cite Soleil when the UN troops went in to clean out the weapons from the gangs. I don?t know-- would you all feel safer if Aristide were back in charge and there were no UN troops over there? A large number of Aristide?s cabinet is in jail for drug running. Almost all of the NGOs in Haiti had turned against him- only the US, Canadian, and British leftist wannabes (they would just die if they really met up with the Shining Path)- are still beating this drum. The food riots last year were engineered to bring down Preval.... But stay tuned. The UN reports that the entire harvest for the year has been wiped out and that only 2% of the aid that has been requested has come in.. I am sure we are all gonna feel safer here with the UN troops gone, right? 10 million people, -- no food--- but certainly-- let?s damn the five hard working journalists (myself included) who work on the issues and blame the ?structural adjustments of the neoliberal agenda"--- That is gonna help. We had all better go to bed at night praying that the US at least stays the course in Haiti since Canada and France are pretty absent. Otherwise, chicos, the Cesfront border patrol ain?t gonna cut it.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
You mean to tell me that US has stayed the course so far......stay tuned Haiti will be a fully working society soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.