Melia Tropical or Royal Catalonia?

Sasky

Feb 5, 2008
I will travelling with friends and family to the dominican republic for the second year in a row. Last year we went to Puerto Plata and stayed at the Riu Merengue. This year we are going to Punta Cana and we have narrowed it down to 2 resorts mainly because they both offer free golf to guests. I need to know which resort is better in terms of 1.food 2. service and 3.guest rooms Any advice would be appreciated and if you have any suggestions of other resorts that offer golf I would be greatful.

Feb 7, 2007
1 and 2 - Melia
3 - Maybe Royal Catalonia, but not by much

Melia is MUCH MUCH bigger, has lots more stuff, more pools, much much bigger premises, larger beach, much more restaurants, and is much much busier than Catalonia.

Also Melia is close to Bavaro center, on site Palma Real Mall, etc.
Catalonia is about 20 mins away from all nightlife, stuck in Cabeza de Torro. To go anywhere you will be paying taxi US$30 each way from Catalonia.

If you want cream of crop go for Royal service Master Suites in Melia. Very very beautiful spacious well appointed, and you get a real Royal service.

queenhelly

Aug 2, 2004
The Melia is the best. We've been there many times, but my opinion is all about the resort and its facilities because I'm not much of a golfer to be honest.

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
Well Rubio does make a good point about Catalonia being further away from other things that you may want to do while you are here. You will have to take taxis if you want to get around. I have heard that Cocotal golf course across the street from Melia is a good course and more challenging than other courses that are included in other hotels. Although, if you want to check out an amazing course not included in the hotel, check out Punta Espada in Cap Cana.

Melia is a very large property and has a lot of on site activities like archery, rock climbing and so on and is close to shopping, discos, local restaurants, etc. I have not personally been to Catalonia but I have heard that it is nice but it is a bit remote to other activities outside the hotel.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the cocotal in front of the Melia is a good average course for the area.
Punta Espalda at Cap Cana?
cap cana is actually fighting against it's bankrupcy,
taxis from either hotel over there cost nearby as much as a extra green fee on other courses nearby.
i like from the surroundings the quiet Catalonia Royal(Johnny, your rates compared melia to catalonia bavaro, not the mentioned royal), but if you and your friends wanna go also off the resort, prefer a shopping stroll over a miles long beach stroll where no neighboured hotels are nearby, than i would recommend the Melia.
in case of golfing both can hold up with each others, good all inclusive courses.
for the all around action:
def the Melia resort
for the beach:
i would call them even
rooms:
depends on the booked room category, both offer from simple to very comfortable and of course ask different rates for that.
for a quieter more beach walk oriented destin with top snorkeling right from the beaches aside the resort:
here i would prefer the Catalonia Royal
either choice will bring you to a nice spot
have a pleasant stay
Mike

shellygirl327

Jun 18, 2004
Cap Cana is having financial difficulty but the golf course, hotels and restaurants are fully operational if you are looking for another golf option outside of the hotel and the taxi cost will only be $10 more than what you would pay from the airport. It is a bit pricey but one of the best courses in the area next to the Faldo Course (opening soon, if it's not open yet) which is also offering great opening rates depending on when you are coming.

Have fun!

Sasky

Feb 5, 2008
Thanks for the replies! We will be arriving at the Melia in Feb and I can't wait to dust off my clubs!