How does a cambio make money?

RafaelPabon

Nov 11, 2007
I have a friend from Eastern Europe wanting to invest some money in a business here in the DR, and one of the businesses they are most interested in is a cambio. They want to exchange currency, cash checks, etc....

The question is, how do these places actually make the money doing this?

Any input would be appreciated and sample business plans to have a better idea also appreciated.

The business would be in the Higuey and Bavaro area.

Thanks,

Rafael

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Buy low, sell high...have a bodyguard armed to the teeth to protect you...Very dangerous business.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A cambio business is not for a non Dominican unless you are well connected.

To answer your question, a cambista profits by the tiny 20 centavo spread between what he pays the street to change Dollars/Euro/Pounds into Pesos, and what the bank pays him for larger trades.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A cambio business is not for a non Dominican unless you are well connected.

To answer your question, a cambista profits by the tiny 20 centavo spread between what he pays the street to change Dollars/Euro/Pounds into Pesos, and what the bank pays him for larger trades.

In tourist areas like Cabarete and Puerto Plata, there's sometimes up to a 200 centavo spread...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
right now the majority of the cambios in Cabarete are advertising 33 to 1...Caribe Express is 34.70 to 1...there's 170 centavo spread right there...you could make 170 pesos (almost $5) for every $100 changed...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Curious question

Why are the airport rates so bad?:confused:

Why do dogs lick their balls?

I can honestly guess, because Global Cambio probably shares part of the 500 centavo spread with Aerodom for the privelage of ripping off unsuspecting tourists the minute they get off the plane in SDQ and POP.

Most tourists landing in the country for the first time have no clue what the real tasa is. It's called opportunity!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
wow

right now the majority of the cambios in Cabarete are advertising 33 to 1...Caribe Express is 34.70 to 1...there's 170 centavo spread right there...you could make 170 pesos (almost $5) for every $100 changed...

Sounds good to me!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I'll count the money.
One for you, ... one for me,
One for you, ... one for me, (oh & we'd better put to one side one for Robert!!)
One for you, ... one for me, ................................................

Eastern Europe? Money Exchange???? Money to invest????? :ermm: :surprised
Sounds like the beginnings of a money laundering operation!!!!:pirate: :pirate: ~ Grahame.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
One for you, ... one for me, (oh & we'd better put to one side one for Robert!!)
One for you, ... one for me, ................................................

Eastern Europe? Money Exchange???? Money to invest????? :ermm: :surprised
Sounds like the beginnings of a money laundering operation!!!!:pirate: :pirate: ~ Grahame.

Well you are in the DR!:bunny:

Mar 2, 2008
BushBaby,
I was thinking more along the lines of:

One for me, one for me
one for me, one for me
one for me, ..........

It would much easier that way, as long as the Eastern European "business man" wasn't around. Then it might be a tad risky.

By the way, is Eastern Europe the same thing as "The new Europe"?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The answer to that philosophical question is "Because he can!"... IOW, that's why the cambios at the airports charge such a high commission...

I always thought these kinds of businesses were regulated by the government.

But then again, this is the DR.